Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help - 2 week challenge to switch the kids diet! page

AndyHolder is offline Junior Member

Help - 2 week challenge to switch the kids diet!

Although I have been eating primally for over a year my kids are still fairly attached to cereals and bread, especially breakfast and lunches. I have 2 weeks holiday coming up and have accepted a challenge from my wife to take over all the household cooking and try and convert them to something healthier. They are 6, 5 and 3 and each one has there own well defended likes and dislikes! Whatever we switch them to though needs to be sustainable from a time and cost perspective after I go back to work. Any advice or failsafe recipes for younger kids?

Do a meal plan before you leave so you aren't trying to think on your feet or have discussions about meals in front of the kids.
    Don't forget you can use the 80/20 rule for things like fish fingers, sausages, burgers, crisps, icecream and other holiday foods.
    Replace pasta with rice - one of my kid's favorites when they were young was mince, rice, peas and cheese.
    Just don't mention bread in front of them and they won't even think about it.
    Don't expect complete success, you are on holiday.
    Don't sweat the small stuff and take jelly and have FUN !
    Last edited by alisoncapricorn; 03-13-2014 at 03:56 PM. Reason: .

jenna is offline Senior Member
    Honestly for kids that young I would try to break the idea of breakfast foods all together. Try introducing veggies for breakfast with some good protein and fat. Poached or sunny side up eggs over spinach with some avocado, and some berries on the side. Make omelets or frittatas with leftovers from dinner. Meatloaf is great the next day. Stop trying to think of breakfast foods and just think of dinners and lunches and add that to your breakfast routine. If the kids are really used to sweet stuff in the mornings, stick with the fruits and slowly add in more protein and fat options.

miata is offline Senior Member
    I would really try to focus and prioritize for the long haul. For example, focus on breakfast, or gluten elimination, or something concrete.

I really do admire you and encourage you. I have three teenagers and all bets are off for getting them to listen to anything.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Last edited by miata; 03-13-2014 at 07:00 PM.

Hannakb is offline Senior Member
    I've been trying to reduce the amount of gluten. So rice puffs and porridge (I know not primal)
    Miss 6 will ask for fried eggs (no bread/toast) miss 10 sometimes asked for omletes (with tomato and cheese).
    Miss 8 has been the hardest, not liking bacon or eggs :/

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    First off I wouldn't announce that you are changing their diet. I would think that gluten free is more important than perfect paleo, so substituting rice pasta for wheat pasta is a good option. There are lots of good recipes and premixed gluten free flours available so you could make some baked goods in advance and freeze them. My son had blueberry GF muffins this morning and they didn't seem any different form muffins made with wheat. I used a standard recipe and just substituted GF flour mix.

I like to give protein, fruit and veggies first and then if more is wanted then consider the options I mentioned above. Since the kids have different preferences you could just set out a platter of assorted items and let them choose what they want. Some of the things adults avoid like potatoes, fruit, extra fat or nuts are actually better for kids.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

poolluoKin is offline Junior Member
    you could just set out a platter of assorted items and let them choose what they want. Some of the things adults avoid like potatoes, fruit, extra fat or nuts are actually better for kids.

AndyHolder is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the advice.

Think I will go down the assorted items option for the first few days and see what goes down best. Probably take the older 2 to do the shopping and get them to involved in the choices too - especially for school packed lunches as needs to be something they will eat.

Doeasn't start for a couple of weeks so will let you know how it goes.

miata is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyHolder View Post
    Thanks for the advice.

Think I will go down the assorted items option for the first few days and see what goes down best. Probably take the older 2 to do the shopping and get them to involved in the choices too - especially for school packed lunches as needs to be something they will eat.

Doeasn't start for a couple of weeks so will let you know how it goes.
    Please report back. A lot of us are still trying to figure out works. I'm learning more and more about what doesn't.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast