Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Satiety, Intuition, and Sustainable Body Composition page

M Claire is offline Junior Member

Satiety, Intuition, and Sustainable Body Composition

Primal Fuel
    Hello,

Just introducing myself. I am here because I need to improve my health. I am almost thirty, pregnant, and have two young children. I went vegan for two years trying to avoid the obesity and illnesses that are common in my family, but it did not work out for me. I followed a well-reputed medical doctor's program very strictly, but eventually became depressed after two years and stopped. During that time, my oral health suffered tremendously and my hip to waist ratio actually became much worse (the regimen recommended liberal amounts of fruit). On top of that my youngest, who I was dutifully feeding from the doctor's pediatric regimen (the best diet in the world), was borderline failure to thrive and obviously not doing well. The depression came because I was always hungry, constantly hungry. I became convinced that I must have an eating obsession and joined a 12 step program, because I was absolutely certain that the diet was perfect. I was a real believer, had the t-shirt and everything, but I just could not make it work. Finally, exhausted and thoroughly depressed, I went back to just eating ad lib for a time. My weight went up a little bit, but the depression eventually lifted.

Sometime later, I realized that the only way forward had to be something I could be at peace with, something that felt right to me. I am not a junk food addict, but for as long as I can remember, I have always wanted to overeat on sweet and starchy foods. Living and traveling in Europe, I finally allowed myself to recognize that the so-called longevity diets that had been put forth by all these experts were simply not what I myself observed. The many, many healthy older Europeans that I was around all ate high fat diets. Yes, some beans from time to time (certainly not daily), some grains, but lots of animals foods and animals fats too. Nowhere did I see anyone eating the very low protein high carb diet that was being so extensively preached stateside.

So, one beautiful day, I sat down with my husband and ate a small steak with butter. And then another one the next day. And then some coconut chicken curry the following day.

And the most amazing thing happened. The cravings, the cravings I had always had to just plow through and keep eating or get that big helping of dessert were gone. I did not even feel pulled to dessert, which is usually the only thing that I am waiting for. It was astonishing. That experience and trying to understand it is what eventually brought me here. And I found that I have tremendous respect for Mark. He is honest. He is consistent. He does not make pie in the sky promises. He is constantly calling what he knows into question, checking facts, confirming, revising, clarifying. It is very different from the dogmatic, quasi-cultish approach that seems to dominate the lifestyle sector.

So here I am. I have found that when trying to get fat-adapted, my sleep gets disrupted, which has not been a problem before. That being said, it does not seem to make me tired, whereas before I was tired throughout the day most of the time. I am glad to see that fitful sleep is a normal part of the transition that many have experienced. I will give myself a month to see how it goes and then re-evaluate if sleep quality has not improved.

I am aiming to adapt to 50-100g carb.

In thinking about the story of my weight and health, I suddenly realize that this kind of eating is something that I have never done before.

My family was put on a low-fat diet when I was still in middle school. I remember Healthy Choice lunch meats, Skinny Cow ice cream, vegetarian sloppy joes, and so forth. By the time I headed off to college, I was deeply steeped in the lipid hypothesis paradigm. I was also overweight, unhappy, and constantly battling cravings. Then, a few years later, one of my family members was put on a low carb, moderate fat, high protein regimen. It seemed to work well enough and I tried it too (though I was probably restricting fat as well at the time). My weight did go down to the lowest that it ever was in my adult life, but I still experienced cravings and was prone to acne, which had not been a problem before. Then after only a year or two, the low carb family member had to abandon the diet because blood work revealed kidney damage. I felt so confused and angry that I swore off low carb altogether as fundamentally unhealthy and dangerous. Then came a period of searching, followed by the vegan phase.

So, in the past 15 years that I can remember, I have never eaten a diet rich in fat of any kind, let alone healthy fats. The sensation of satiety that I experienced was so novel that it alone, in and of itself, opened me up to a paradigm shift.

Today is day 1. I am at peace with giving up grains because I have noticed for perhaps a year or more that my whole body feels and looks puffy when I eat them. I am not going to be too concerned about calories until I get fat-adapted. My goal for the next three weeks is just to stay under 100g of starches per day and let my body build up what it needs to live on fat.
    Last edited by M Claire; 03-14-2014 at 03:52 AM.

A bit of a headache this afternoon, probably what others have called the "low-carb flu" as the body adjusts.
    Having 100g potatoes (20g carb) at dinner to try and curb the insomnia.

Sleep was not too bad.

MFP puts yesterday at 80g carb, 1600 cal.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Hey M Claire, welcome It's great that you realised the dissonance between the promised results sand the actual results arising from what we have all been taught to follow. For some reason, I believed the food pyramid etc for 20 years even though it clearly DID NOT WORK in practice. I wish you all the best of health as you continue your journey.

Thank you Annie!
    I am sure it will be an enlightening, and in any case much happier, journey than the paths that I've been on previously.
    I am above all trying not to get too tangled up in the details at this stage (ratio of beef to pork to seafood to poultry - ratio of SFA to PUFA to MUFA) and just get used to giving my body what it has been asking for.
    I am also relieved to see how many vegetables I can eat and still stay well under 100g of carbs. It really is not as extreme as the naysayers make it out to be.
    I am using MFP at this point. It is not my favorite and I hope that after a few months I won't need it, but I don't think I would know where I am at other wise at this time.

Good second day, though my complexion is unusually bad. Hope that will clear up as the transition moves on. Maybe need to think about eliminating dairy. Was not consuming it before. Not eating a lot of it now, but it seems to me that my skin has been sensitive to it in the past. Will be easier to think about getting rid of it when my coconut butter gets here.

Day 3 is going well. Have cut back from 1+ oz of cheese to 1/3 oz. Will probably eliminate for the next month to see how it goes.

I am pleasantly surprised by how quickly my energy levels have changed. I am no longer experiencing the afternoon slump (it was more of a freefall plummet a lot of the time) that was such a daily challenge for me.

Made a personal snapshot document to remind me of where I am starting at, including all the symptoms that I can think of and my anthropometry.

Attended a family birthday party tonight but easily managed to stay under 150 g carb and did not have dessert. Was not especially preoccupied by food, what freedom!

The acne is resolving. The blemishes in the t-zone are visibly less inflamed.

A good third day!
    Last edited by M Claire; 03-15-2014 at 04:11 PM.

I woke up feeling good today. I will probably do a compressed eating window because I am not especially hungry.

I could not find coconut butter, but the local co-op did carry creamed coconut. It is very tasty.

Feeling so-so this evening. I think lunch was a bit too hefty. Then again, so-so is still way better than usual. My energy levels are good and my mental clarity is exceptionally good for this time of day. Woot to that!
    Last edited by M Claire; 03-16-2014 at 01:25 PM.

PrimalCon New York
    Day five already! Where does the time go?

Today's project: learning about resistant starch.

My complexion is so-so. My mental clarity is excellent. My sleep was mostly disturbed last night (zombie apocalypse dreams, I am not kidding you! I don't know where this stuff comes from. I don't even watch TV), but again, very surprisingly, I am not feeling especially tired.

Several people have reported amazing sleep improvements with resistant starch, so we will see where that takes me.

PS: I really, really love satiety! Day after day I have been amazed because I feel so full and satisfied, but calorically, I am actually eating significantly less than I did when much of my diet came from starches. My appetite feels naturally reduced. As a simple reflection on the excellent "Self Identity" article that Mark put up a few days ago, maybe I can finally come to identify myself as one of those "naturally slim/fit people". It feels like I have had a naturally svelte person inside me all along who has just been waiting for me to feed her the right things. I don't actually feel like the unbalanced food obsessed person that I thought I was. That is priceless.
    Last edited by M Claire; 03-17-2014 at 03:38 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast