Thread: Satiety, Intuition, and Sustainable Body Composition page

M Claire is offline Junior Member

Satiety, Intuition, and Sustainable Body Composition

Primal Fuel
    Thread abandoned
    Last edited by M Claire; 09-09-2014 at 08:39 AM.

A bit of a headache this afternoon, probably what others have called the "low-carb flu" as the body adjusts.
    Having 100g potatoes (20g carb) at dinner to try and curb the insomnia.

Sleep was not too bad.

MFP puts yesterday at 80g carb, 1600 cal.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Hey M Claire, welcome It's great that you realised the dissonance between the promised results sand the actual results arising from what we have all been taught to follow. For some reason, I believed the food pyramid etc for 20 years even though it clearly DID NOT WORK in practice. I wish you all the best of health as you continue your journey.

Thank you Annie!
    I am sure it will be an enlightening, and in any case much happier, journey than the paths that I've been on previously.
    I am above all trying not to get too tangled up in the details at this stage (ratio of beef to pork to seafood to poultry - ratio of SFA to PUFA to MUFA) and just get used to giving my body what it has been asking for.
    I am also relieved to see how many vegetables I can eat and still stay well under 100g of carbs. It really is not as extreme as the naysayers make it out to be.
    I am using MFP at this point. It is not my favorite and I hope that after a few months I won't need it, but I don't think I would know where I am at other wise at this time.

I woke up feeling good today. I will probably do a compressed eating window because I am not especially hungry.

I could not find coconut butter, but the local co-op did carry creamed coconut. It is very tasty.

Feeling so-so this evening. I think lunch was a bit too hefty. Then again, so-so is still way better than usual. My energy levels are good and my mental clarity is exceptionally good for this time of day. Woot to that!
    Last edited by M Claire; 03-16-2014 at 01:25 PM.

Additional thoughts about Xylitol

Okay, after poking around, here is what I have come up with:

There is anectodotal evidence in low carb eating humans and concrete laboratory evidence in rats that high xylitol consumption arrests ketosis.

It is reported that the human body produces 5-15g of xylitol per day. That being said, endogenous xylitol is produced during carbohydrate metabolism. So, we Primal folk, who are eating anywhere from 10-30% the amount of carbs that a traditionally starch based culture would eat (roughly 450g per day in both Europe and Japan), are presumably making much less.

In summary, I think the amount that I am using for oral health (6-10g daily) is most likely not enough to interfere with ketosis. But it would be wise for me to be particularly attentive to how my body feels if I were to attempt conventional dessert making with it.

Day 7

My complexion is completely clear. It looks really good.

However, I am still having big problems with night wakefulness and trouble falling back to sleep. I hope that it passes soon because it is starting to take a toll on my energy levels and I don't like not feeling rested when it is time to get up.

Day 7 has been quite hard. I have had really low energy and low awareness. I feel like the night wakefulness is catching up with me. I hope it passes soon.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M Claire View Post
    I really, really love satiety! Day after day I have been amazed because I feel so full and satisfied, but calorically, I am actually eating significantly less than I did when much of my diet came from starches. My appetite feels naturally reduced. As a simple reflection on the excellent "Self Identity" article that Mark put up a few days ago, maybe I can finally come to identify myself as one of those "naturally slim/fit people". It feels like I have had a naturally svelte person inside me all along who has just been waiting for me to feed her the right things. I don't actually feel like the unbalanced food obsessed person that I thought I was. That is priceless.
    Brilliant stuff, M Claire.

Sorry about the short sleep, I hope it sorts itself out soon. My sleep improved no end when I started primal, but just lately I've had a few nights where I wake for some reason and can't go back to sleep so I have no bright ideas that might help right now.