Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: Vibrant Life page 19

Neeleh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks RR, your sophistication in the kitchen played a part in the casserole, giving me the confidence to attempt something more than grilling fish in a pan, credit is due my friend!! It may look like boring brown goo, but is really delicious, that meaty gravy- broth, there's nothing like it. I also slow cooked some chicken with lemon and garlic, hardly haute cuisine but a significant moment, to be handling raw meat with excitement and curiosity.

Glad to know your success with a change of eating, and wish for that success to continue. I think I may have gained a little weight since eating more freely, but I'm viewing intuitive eating as a long term strategy and allowing time.

Yes, the whole 'female cycle' and 'shame'; there's almost a taboo around the subject, and definitely some fixed ideas that are ripe for rethink. That our cycles are inconvenient and to be hidden, the source of embarrassment and PMS jokes, and we medicate ourselves to suppress the 'symptoms'. I do think that many aspects health/life are unecessarily pathologised/medicalised; including sexuality, birth and death.
    Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Journal: Vibrant Life

Spent the entire day on the sofa (TOTM). I was very tired. There was no pain or discomfort, but definitely 'sensation' and not sensation as in, 'this is pain, but I'm downsizing it mentally to detach'; it was feelings of heaviness around the uterus and that area and the sensations of contractions, but no pain. I really allowed my body to be totally relaxed and let what was happening happen.

Obv I had to get off the sofa to feed myself and visit the loo, and though it was a cloudy day I sat out on the back step for some fresh air, but mostly just rested.

I think this deep resting may have something to do with my periods being pain-free lately? Also I think the regular swimming helps, I try to swim right up to it arriving, so the muscles of the abdomen have had a good stretch. And yoga, I dont mention yoga much here, but yoga is always happening.

I took my meals as usual and my appetite seemed normal, not crazed!! Slow-cooked a butternut squash-carrot soup, I wanted the warm soothing of soup. So that was sweet and starchy and the only carbohydrate fix I needed. Beef casserole just keeps getting better and better. Slow cooked to begin with and reheated it in the slow cooker; t'was a day of slow cooking which perfectly suited my mood. I like to hear that pot gently bubbling.

Bought some discounted chicken thighs and drumsticks and they needed to be cooked, so in they went, yes into the slow cooker; with lemon quarters, fat garlic cloves and dried organic herbs. First time cooking raw chicken - I was quite surprised by the liquid produced. I knew it must have value so poured it into a glass jar which when cooled went into the fridge. It has a wobbly fatty top layer and clear liquid underneath, will prob scrape the fat off and add the stock to soup, I suppose that the fat is acting like a preservative? Should I eat that too? (the idea of chicken fat is unappealing.)

GP telephoned to discuss blood test results. I was very curious to know these as had had some disturbing results as a v*gan. GP arranged appointments with endocrinologists and immunologists and I really had not wanted to attend. Obv that was the tipping point for quitting WFPB and migrating here. I cancelled the hospital appts and asked for time to make dietary changes.

Good news: thyroid, folate, calcium = fine. Kidney sodium had been too low and is now resolved. My ferritin has been worryingly low and despite 3-4 months of liquid tonic (floradix) that has not ameliorated. The doctor marvels at my fitness schedule as I am supposed to be weak and fatigued and dizzy with my numbers. I told her that I have such a strong mental drive to be fit and active that it will override any other consideration!! Mind over matter. Either that or I am flogging myself senseless.

The plan is obvious: finished witht the v*gan supplements! That was quite literally 40 down the toilet I'm onto Solgar gentle iron from now and the next action point is equally clear: MOAR MEAT!! I might post on the nutrition forum, I'm wondering if it's OK to eat red meat, say 4 -6 oz; 5/6 times per week??

I asked the doctor about this and she really didnt know and said she thought red meat thrice per week, but I think she was just saying a number, if you know what I mean.

The other piece of the tests that has bothered me as it's a completely new one, is raised liver function - ALT? I have a nurse friend who is going to talk that over with me, but she was surprised when I told her - as I dont ingest anything that would stress the liver in her opinion (alcohol, toxins, pharmaceuticals) . She wanted to reassure me by telling me that the liver was supremely resilient, that I shouldnt worry. I'm getting a retest in one month.

I'm not really used to numbers and levels and bio-data, and I have to admit to being somewhat freaked out, and feeling out of my depth and worried about my iron and liver a little bit Today's mind work - not to ruminate over those results!!

That's a lot of quite personal info, hope that was OK, if you are still here, thank you for the mercy of your attention Any thoughts on iron/liver would be most welcome!!
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    I love my slow cooker; I think I would probably starve without it. Definitely use the stock (ie liquid flavor gold) for something, and you can use the chicken fat for cooking if you like. I think it's got really good flavor, and this one will have the flavor of lemons and garlic also. Really good for starchier veg.

You're in the UK right? With all that quality grassfed beef? Have at it and know how envious I am! That's some of the best stuff you can eat.

A lot of things can affect iron absorbrion, so it's not just the intake. A healthy gut is necessary, as I seems to be in pretty much all things lately, as is adequate stomach acid. Both of those can be repressed on a vegan diet. With your bit of constipation above, you might want to incorporate some fermented foods and after some time fermentable fibers/prebiotics. A splash of vinegar in warm water before a meal will help increase stomach acid and aid digestion.

Adequate vitamin C intake helps, I don't know why but that's what everyone/Google says.

I don't know about the liver, though my first reaction would be mobilization of stored glycogen/triglycerides/visceral fat and production of ketones. I don't know why increased liver function in itself would be bad, as the liver is involved in so many things from healthy metabolism to healing. But I'm not a doctor!

Thanks for your thoughts. Would you like a beef care package? Will throw in some venison too Yes, the cows have it easy here by most modern standards and even organic beef and is affordable. I can hear them mooing and lowing from here, the fields and farms start just across the lane. Lots of lambs and sheep.

The other thing about the liver is the test was taken two days after an epic Easter blow-out so that could have been relevant.

I agree, it could be a matter of absorption and not solely intake. This is such a big piece of it. I have got to stay away from gluten. It's no longer a habitual food, but I do find myself having splurges at socials. Improving the gut is a mission, I feel a bit daunted. I'll look into your suggestions. I've recently started raw sauerkraut and have been using acv for years, but not as a separate tonic. And pro-biotics sporadically. I havent really gone at this though in a focussed or systematic way, have not made it as important as maybe it deserves to be.

IMG_2741.JPG
    Meet the neighbours: cute, and delicious.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Cuties!!

I've got digestive issues myself, so I'm kind of floundering around and trying to find out what works. I wish I knew more, but that's the basic starting point. Lots of things have helped, but nothing has "fixed" it yet. Hopefully that's all you need.

It occurs to me that even reaching the point of recognising that it is a digestive/absorption issue; rather than solely focussing on nutrients in, is a significant shift in understanding. There is so much work being done in this field. Like you I wonder how many of our v*gan sisters and brothers are struggling and supplementing whilst all the time their guts are taking a bashing from those pesky grains.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neeleh View Post
    I'm wondering if it's OK to eat red meat, say 4 -6 oz; 5/6 times per week??

I asked the doctor about this and she really didnt know and said she thought red meat thrice per week, but I think she was just saying a number, if you know what I mean.
    I see this as definitely ok, probably desirable. Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Neeleh View Post
    It occurs to me that even reaching the point of recognising that it is a digestive/absorption issue; rather than solely focussing on nutrients in, is a significant shift in understanding. There is so much work being done in this field. Like you I wonder how many of our v*gan sisters and brothers are struggling and supplementing whilst all the time their guts are taking a bashing from those pesky grains.
    Yeah covering problems up with supplements will only work for so long. Now that I've been looking into it from that angle I can see how far reaching the damage went (from before I was veg*n) and how important is I learn how to support and correct it. Now if only it would hurry up! I guess it took me 20+ years to do the damage, and small improvements over almost a year is still improvements. I'm just impatient!

Thanks guys Annie, really getting stuck into red meat, and farm raised meat (even field raised, organic which is widely available, local, and affordable) is a bit of a mental obstacle for me. The flip is to find ways to enjoy it; and release guilt.

Rittenremedy small improvements over almost a year is still improvements
    Holding onto hope!!
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Spent three days, hunkered down, a mini-menstrual retreat. Allowing myself to stop and withdraw from the world, simply 'cos that's what I feel to do; and while my mind is a little bothered by it, my body is clear on this point. No energy. The requirements are clear : food and rest in large amounts.

Had a tech-free Saturday; felt good to re-occupy myself; I tend to drift further and further from presence the more time I spend online.

The weather has been moody, changeable, and while I've prob missed a decent rainbow or two by staying at home, there is that special cosiness from watching angry skies whilst swaddled in blankets.

Food wise, I'm surprised by how much I have eaten, and it has been helpful to eat small regular meals. Works out as a feed every three hours with regular meals and snacks:a couple of ounces of protein and berries.

I just about have enough fresh produce to stretch another day, and hope that day 4 of rest won't lead to bed sores lol. It's OK, I'm bathing and wearing fresh clothes daily. But I honestly can't remember the last time I stayed at home 3-4 days consecutively, without being unwell.

Hoping that by honouring the body's seemingly sincere request for time out; I will prevent myself creating an illness or injury that will force me into rest.
    Last edited by Neeleh; 05-10-2014 at 11:18 PM.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast