Thread: Primal to Change my Life page

nicholeb0912 is offline Junior Member

Primal to Change my Life

Primal Fuel
    Hey all, this is my first post and also the start of my journal as I really need somewhere to keep myself on track!

First, I'm Nichole. I'm 25, and a single mom to two young boys. I have moved slowly from junk-eating, binging vegetarian toward more primal living since I was pregnant with my first son in 2008/2009. I struggled with an eating disorder(binge/purge+not eating) from the age of 12, and at 19 when I was pregnant the symptoms went away but they came back off and on until I was 23. I think that pattern has done a huge number on my body. Last year when my youngest son was 1 month old I jumped head on into paleo, as I'd gained 50 lbs during the pregnancy. I remember vividly the low carb flu, but there was no struggle for me at all to go paleo then as I had that motivation of getting my weight down.. I lost 60 lbs last year, and then, unfortunately had some family issues that led to my break-up. I gained 14 lbs after the break up and began eating mostly junk food. That went on for three months, and here I am.

I recently moved and I've been fighting to stay on track since March 1st. I had about 4-5 great days, and then low carb flu hit which I mistook for caffeine withdrawal and foolishly went out and got a sugary iced capp from Tim Hortons. I have quit caffeine once again, I'm on day 4 without it but I have been binging nonstop since that iced capp. I do not keep any junk food in my house, but my son just had his birthday so people gave him tons of candy.. that's been eaten, or thrown out, and I need to get on track here..

My aim is no processed foods, no refined sugar, no grains, lots of water and exercising daily. I still do enjoy potatoes and some cheese. Yogurt is good too when I have it here. I need this to be a permanent change, as I am allergic to wheat, plus I struggle with various mental health issues that I swear are worsened by diet. I often wonder if they could be healed almost fully if I ate properly all the time...

So.. my goal for now is to check in every single day.. Even bad days.. And start tracking with my fitbit and myfitnesspal again.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Nichole. Have a great primal day let "meat and veges, meat and veges, meat and veges" be your mantra.

Thank you! My Primal Blueprint and Primal Blueprint 21-Day Transformation books are supposed to be here today, unfortunately there's a huge blizzard happening so they may be delayed until tomorrow.

I'm starting this change at 123 lbs, 26.7% body fat. Woke up today feeling uncomfortable, bloated, exhausted, moody, and with aches and pains. This is typical for me while eating the SAD. I am so tired of it. I have to fight to drag myself out of bed and that's not good with kids. I am committed to updating here every day, keeping track of my meals on myfitnesspal and tracking my steps with my fitbit..

So far I have had a breakfast of pork, onions, potatoes, and eggs fried in coconut oil. My fitness pal put it around 550 calories, which is fine since it was extremely filling and I can't see myself getting hungry again any time soon. I'm trying to stick to 75 grams of carbs a day, and I'm at 25 right now.

Now, I need to make a commitment to going to bed every night at 10. My kids are up anywhere from 6-7 AM. I need that sleep..
    *yawn*

For the rest of the day I had..

Lunch: Pork cooked in coconut oil with eggs, onion and spinach.

Snack: 1 cup red grapes

Dinner: Pollock and baby carrots in olive oil.

Very full, and I've had a lot of water as well. I know I need more greens in the future. I am already feeling really intense sugar cravings and hating it. I am going to have a rough time, I can feel it coming already. Hopefully it doesn't last too long.. I'm hoping after a month I will start to feel great.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    That sounds like good food. I think you will start feeling great much sooner than a month. How tall are you? How old is your baby? Does he sleep through the night?

I'm 5'4", the baby is 15 months and he wakes a few times through the night but he's been starting to sleep a lot better.

Last night was hard with sugar cravings, but I decided instead of ignoring them I will have to teach myself how to satisfy the cravings with primal food.. I blended up a frozen banana and put grapes on top and ate it like ice cream. I ended up eating 3 hard-boiled eggs before bed as well... Woke up this morning at 120 lbs, but the scale says 27% body fat now. I'm not sure how accurate the scale is at detecting this. I have a body fat calliper that I should probably be using instead.

Breakfast today was chunks of beef, leeks, yellow pepper, spinach and eggs cooked in coconut oil. I am planning on making shepard's pie later with ground chicken, veggies and sweet potato.

I've decided it's best for the first month if I focus on making sure everything I eat is primal, instead of counting calories or carbs. After I have successfully made it a month of living primal, I will tweak my carbs and track if needed.

Now I need to focus on making other changes.. exercising daily, making sure I'm in bed by 10 PM, taking my supplements every day. My book came today so I will see what else I should be doing.
    Last edited by nicholeb0912; 03-13-2014 at 09:09 AM.

I'm still around, had a few busy days but today is the end of my fourth day 100% primal. I feel like I over-ate a bit tonight since I had two servings of dinner. It tasted really good, and I still feel like I want more so I am just avoiding the kitchen now. :P Perhaps because it has sweet potatoes and white potatoes in it? I'm not sure why, but it's a delicious dinner. I made ground beef cooked in coconut oil with leeks, spinach, carrots, sweet and white potatoes, zucchini, parsley, some lemon juice and spices. Mixed a bit of butter into it at the end of cooking. I made too much, as well, so maybe I just need to cook smaller meals.

Anyway, I successfully made it through two busy days of outings without eating anything not considered primal. I never feel hungry, and when I get enough sleep I feel energetic all day. This morning was the ultimate example of how it's working for me already. I didn't get breakfast, so I took a container of pork and apple sauce and ate that during our family outing. I was up from 8 AM until 2 or 3 with just that to eat, and while I've had chronic hypoglycemia for years now, it was nowhere to be seen today. No shakiness, no vertigo, no mood swings, nothing. I felt great with just meat for hours. I am absolutely sold on living primal.

Now, I need to sort out my sleep so badly and start exercising again. I love sleeping, and I love getting 8-10 hours a night, but at night I enjoy quiet time so much with the kids in bed that I stay up until midnight and end up with only 6 or 7 hours. And then I'm exhausted all day. This needs to be fixed.

On the exercise topic, I told my older son today that we were going to start walking every day after dinner, and he was really excited. I meant starting tomorrow, but when I came down from putting the baby to bed my older son was in his hat and boots! I guess he likes the idea! So, starting tomorrow, family walks will be in order.