Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Effects of Sitting---what is too much? page

amyb is offline Member

Effects of Sitting---what is too much?

Primal Fuel
    I'm wondering about the effects of sitting and it holds true for driving too as well as sitting at a desk. I have converted to a stand up work station but I have meetings in schools where I have to travel to the meeting location and then sit for at least an hour in a meeting. I'm wondering if walking to and from meeting etc will counteract the negative effects of sitting. In primal connection..Mark points out that 23 hours a week is the limit and I'm not sure if that's consecutive, if he recommends getting up every 10 minutes or maybe every hour...I get up every hour or so when I'm in meetings. I just can't sit still! I've had back problems from bike wrecks and the standing workstation has basically eliminated my back pain so I don't want anything to return so I want to ensure that I'm making my best efforts to stay with a healthy back! I'm pretty active in mtn biking and skiing from which most of my back problems stem so when I'm not doing those things, I want to ensure I'm doing my best to maintain. I utilize an inversion table as well.

Any feedback is appreciated!

miata is online now Senior Member
    I'm seeing more and more that too much sitting has a negative impact -- regardless of what you do when you are not sitting. Chris Kresser has info on his site.

I made a New year's resolution to sit less. I now have a stand-up desk at work -- and never sit in my office. I also made a habit of walking around a local track while reading (mostly Kindle) books, checking forums, email, we surfing on tablet.

Lots of sitting together with lots of cycling is double jeopardy on contracting hamstring and calf muscles.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    As often as possible, stand while bicycling.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

TQP
    TQP is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    As often as possible, stand while bicycling.
    My dad actually told me to sit yesterday because standing is bad for my knees... -___-
    New journal AQUI... where we chat, cuss, and post offensive stuff.

Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog. (Latest recipe: Easy Banana Soft Serve)

Professional Style Digital Magazine. Most recent feature: Madlena, Model, Animal Activist, Psychology Student

Elegance is not the prerogative of those who have just escaped from adolescence, but of those who have already taken possession of their future.
    - Coco Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    If were going by butt size I must have an IQ of at least 200

Lolz. What did you tell him?

People tell me to sit all the time. Like crabs in the crab pot, trying to pull me down. I tell them I'm allergic to sitting, it makes me break out in fat.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

TQP
    TQP is online now Senior Member
    I just kept standing. It's best not to argue with Asian parents. Even at the age of 25 I might get b*tchslapped.
    New journal AQUI... where we chat, cuss, and post offensive stuff.

Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog. (Latest recipe: Easy Banana Soft Serve)

Professional Style Digital Magazine. Most recent feature: Madlena, Model, Animal Activist, Psychology Student

Elegance is not the prerogative of those who have just escaped from adolescence, but of those who have already taken possession of their future.
    - Coco Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    If were going by butt size I must have an IQ of at least 200

Oh, so silent disobedience trumps explaining yourself. That's exactly how things work here in the hospital, about 40% asian culture here. It's hilarious. Culturally gaining honor by proving to be valiantly autonomous to the point of disobedience as long as it hurts no-one.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    Lol standing is clearly destructive to the female uterus. As are sports, lifting anything heavier than a child, and going to college. Sorry Turq, you'll never be a good housewife.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    How does mark arrive at the number 23?

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I am also worried about this. Sitting at a desk is part of my job, my job is what pays bills so I need to find a way to make it work.

I downloaded an app that tracks my daily steps.

I am aiming for 10,000 steps on non workout days and 6,000 + on workout days. going ok so far but when you work at a desk from 8-5/6 10,000 steps is a lot!
    2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Train hard, eat well and love life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast