Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shut Up, You're Not My Real Doctor! Aj's Primal Journal page

ajaj54 is offline Junior Member

Shut Up, You're Not My Real Doctor! Aj's Primal Journal

Shop Now
    Okay so a couple things before my story and intent statement. First I'm like the only thirty something on the planet that has never done forums, live journals, blogging, what have you, so I'm going to do this wrong. I am. Count on it. But I'm irritating everybody on Facebook with my fitness rants so this seems like a good place to vent publicly and make myself accountable. Second, I welcome advice and opinions, even those different from my own and I'm always willing to learn, so if you've got facts to back up your opinion, school me! I won't jump down your throat. Promise.

Now... I started out a ridiculously skinny child. My mom is skinny, my dad, mostly overweight over his life time. They fed me and my sister super healthy food, according to CW. That meant a lot of lean protein and veggies, which were probably okay, and a lot of oatmeal and low sugar whole grain cereals, which were not. Still, I was very healthy weight for a long time, and if I was mostly sluggish and avoided sports like the plague, my parents and teachers could chalk it up to the fact that I was a book worm and "inventive" (read daydreamer), as well as the fact that I'd been born with a deformed right foot that was aesthetically corrected but still had a tendency to roll.

Then at about 12 (puberty) I started to have serious issues. I always had temper tantrums, but now they became full blown knock down drag out fights. My daydreams turned violent, I had racing thoughts, pressured speech, insomnia, and, at the height of these episodes, hallucinations. During these periods I felt powerful, dangerous, and angry, a dragon in girl form. (To be clear I did not think I WAS a dragon, I'm just describing how i felt, which was larger than life). These episodes, usually quite short, were followed by much longer periods of depression, or self doubt and extreme social anxiety. Luckily, both my parents were big believers in therapy and managed, after three years, to get me diagnosed properly (Bipolar), and then get me into the programs where I could get the help I needed.

The end result of treatment is drugs, of course. My final treatment, the one I'm on now, wound up being a relatively small dosage of Seroquel, but, by the time we settled on that, the damage was done. I had already put on over a hundred pounds, and from there it was like trying to stop a boulder from rolling downhill. Year by year the weight piled on. I continued eating the healthy way the CW said I should and I put on weight. My doctors told me to stop eating junk and I’d lose weight but since I was already on the health plan they suggested I would get depressed and sneak treats. And since fat was always the big bad, better to “cheat” with a low fat Snackwell sugar filled item than eat a steak or some bacon, right? But I kept gaining. And I kept feeling tired. And I kept having to hear from my doctors that all my health problems were my fault because of how I ate.

My dad was diagnosed with colon cancer when I was fifteen and died when I was twenty one. For the ten years since he died, I’ve been terrified that I will go the same way, and that I will have to hear some smug ass doctor blame my lifestyle for it. I’ve felt trapped. I do what they say, so why don’t I lose the weight? Why do I feel this way? When I started having vomiting episodes around my thirtieth birthday, I almost didn’t bother to tell my doc. When I finally did, he, of course, blamed the fatty foods I was probably eating. Finally fed up, I did some research until I found something that matched. Gluten intolerance. So, much as I love bread, I cut it all out. I had a couple of unintentional slips at first, like not knowing that soy sauce contained wheat, but I got vigilant about labels and it happened less and less. Eventually, I could tell if something contained even a small amount of wheat almost immediately, because I would feel sick and headachy, sometimes for days after. Unsure of what I could eat, I stuck mostly to steamed veggies and meat. I lost a little weight and I thought I finally found my path.

At some point, I started eating gluten free bread and cookies despite the cost. My weight started creeping again. Fast forward to January 2014. My New Year’s Resolution for the previous year was to quit smoking and that went like gangbusters, so my New Year’s Resolution for 2014 was to lose weight. I joined a gym and got a personal trainer. I decided I wasn’t going to diet, just eat the “healthy” way I always had, the way CW says is correct. The missing component, I decided, was exercise, nothing else. But three months later, I still haven't lost much, and I can see that even my trainer is puzzled. Then… Mark’s Daily Apple. The heavens parted, the trumpets sounded, and everything finally made sense! Bacon isn’t bad! Eggs aren’t evil! Steak isn’t Satan!

So here’s my publicly stated intent. I will follow the Primal Blueprint, up to and including the exercises. I will lose all this fat and get down to 22% body fat. I will reverse my Hashimoto’s and my KP. I will not die of colon cancer. And when my stupid doctor asks how I did it, expecting to hear “Low fat and lots of exercise”, I will say proudly “Bacon”.

Jessk is offline Junior Member
    Great post! Good for you for taking charge, and you are in the right place no doubt!! Your story sounds much like mine...actually much like many people. First off, it really sounds like you have some toxic overload. Do you have silver fillings? You are very specific about the time frames that things "fell apart". No doubt hormones were a stressor, but the anger, depression and racing thoughts are very common of a mercury toxic issue. Now that you are having thyroid issues would be another clue. I would love to help you keep on track. This is an amazing first step! P.S. I've been primal for over 2 years and have taken every action to educate myself.

Wow, Jessk, thanks for responding so quickly and so positively! I love the support! I'm planning on posting little (read: much shorter than my first post) daily updates on what I ate; how I exercised, stretched, or played; and how I'm feeling. I'll also post a picture a week (GULP!) to keep track of my progress. I welcome any and all support in keeping me on the straight and narrow, but definitely don't feel like I'm asking you or anybody else to be my full time cheerleader. Just knowing that other people might notice if I miss an update or photo time should help keep me honest.

As for your question, no, my fillings are ceramic. Despite believing a fair amount of Conventional Wisdom stuff (e.g. saturated fat is bad, cholesterol is bad), my Mum is pretty open minded and takes the holistic approach. She was concerned with mercury way before anybody I knew! So that meant ceramic fillings and only fish that was less likely to be tainted. I suspect the Hashimoto's, which has not yet progressed to thyroid damage, is probably a function of my immune system being stressed out by the MASSIVE amounts of whole wheat bread I was eating. All of which is not to say that I'm in any way ruling out toxic overload...I don't know much about it and would be interested in learning more. New research topic! Fun!

Thanks again for your lovely input.

Okay so yesterday was not bad...
    B: Scrambled eggs and bacon
    L: Steamed veggies (Broccoli, Cauliflower, Carrots), chicken breast, some more bacon, butter
    D: Two Sabretts All Beef Hot Dogs, moar steamed veg, butter
    S: a handful of homemade trail mix (walnuts, pumpkin seeds, unsweetened dried fruit, dark chocolate pieces), and two bottles of my homemade water kefir.

The only thing I'm concerned about is the water kefir...I have no way of estimating how much of the sugar remains, but I do know it's not sweet at all by the time I've done the second ferment. I think I got rid of most or all of the sugar. On the exercise front i did a moderate cardio warm up/cool down at the gym and hit the resistance machines in between. Arms (triceps, shoulders, biceps), legs, and abs. Then I ran by mom's house and took her dogs for a thirty five minute walk.
    Goal #1: Feel AWESOME
    Goal #2: Look Good Nekkid
    Goal #3: Rub Success in Stupid Doctor's Stupid Face
    Goal #4: Total World Domination...or Total Bacon Domination, whichever is easier

My Primal Journal: Shut Up You're Not My Real Doctor!

SW(3/10/14):285 lb
    CW(3/20/14):279 lb
    GW(7/23/14):220 lb (fingers crossed)

Jessk is offline Junior Member
    Great start! I think you nailed it with the wheat, so cutting that out should make you feel much better! Keep it up!!

Yesterday's meals:
    B: Scrambled Eggs with Chicken, Kale, Onions, and Peppers
    L: Leftover Primal/Paleo Meatloaf from Sunday, more kale/onion/pepper mix
    D: Homemade Tandoori Chicken and Saag Paneer
    S: My Primal Trail Mix (small handful), some organic beef jerky, and macadamia nuts
    Bev: More water kefir, Tea with raw whole milk and honey (not much of either)

Exercise:
    Ugh, trainer day. I like pushing myself but I hate feeling like I'm failing, and I did not do well on some of these exercises. Lower abs need WORK. My trainer definitely seemed disappointed. Usually I take to new things like a fish to water, I think he was starting to think I didn't have any weak spots. Wow, that sounds really braggy, I just meant even if I'm exhausted and trembling I can usually push through to finish a set, and yesterday I quit way ahead of time.

How I feel:
    I have a perma-headache, I'm spacey, I'm tired (but strangely waking up earlier), I have acne (eww!), I'm seriously thirsty, and I'm hungry all the time but I get full right away. I'm really struggling to keep my carbs under 100 g and I have no idea how to get them under 80 g. I'm hoping that the gram estimates on Fat Secret are just straight up crazy, and my real counts are way lower.
    Goal #4: Total World Domination...or Total Bacon Domination, whichever is easier

Marie20 is offline Junior Member
    I HATE it when a workout leaves me feeling like I failed. I just wanted to say, you're not alone and keep it up because it's definitely worth the feeling you get when you have that next AMAZING work out and feel like a million bucks afterwards. I would venture to say that even people who have been working out a long time and feel they are at a healthy weight will have days when their workout doesn't go right for some reason or another.

I'm sorry about the negative side effects you are having... Headaches are one of the last things that I do still take pain relievers for when I get. So many times, I just try to get through it without taking anything but when I do eventually cave and take a couple Motrins and the pain goes away I realize that maybe I shouldn't have been so tentative. Don't forget to ALWAYS try drinking a big big glass of water or two when you get a headache though... often times it's just dehydration!!! And hey, a little extra water never hurt anyone ^_^

These are a few things that help me with fatigue: a 20 minute nap (if I'm actually TIRED, mostly when I didn't get enough sleep); a very small glass of fresh squeezed orange juice with a tsp of kosher or sea salt, sounds weird but is so delicious (though as always with fruit, be wary of the carbs, if you are trying to keep those low!); coffee with a tsp of grass fed butter or ghee and a tbs of coconut oil (watch out for the calories here though!!! I only have this if the rest of my day is very low cal); or my boyfriend's favorite, which I call "Ayurvedic Gatorade": big glass of water with a half tsp of stevia (pretty much the only time I will ever add sugar to anything), a pinch of salt and half a lime squeezed into it... I swear this tastes even better than gatorade and I love having it post workout, so refreshing.

Staying under 150g of carbs was really hard for me at first when going primal (much less under 80!!). Give it time, and keep using something to calculate the macros in your daily intake occasionally (I say occasionally because doing it daily for me created an unhealthy obsession)... eventually you will start to see the foods that, although healthy, are the biggest culprits for sneaking in carbs. From what you listed I can tell you right now that dried fruit, raw milk and honey were big ones for me when starting. I LOVE those things. If you want to stay low carb, you've gotta stick with just meat and veggies with maybe a fruit or piece of super dark chocolate. At the same time... if those things keep you satisfied and happy and away from non primal foods, I say keep eating them, whether they up your carb intake or not. It's more important to be able to keep it up in the long run than do it 100% perfect in the short term.

Take care!

Thanks!

Thanks, I appreciate the advice and support! Couple questions tho..

Quote Originally Posted by Marie20 View Post
    coffee with a tsp of grass fed butter or ghee and a tbs of coconut oil
    I keep seeing this. I'm not huge fan of coffee (I prefer tea) although I do like a good French press blonde roast from time to time. What does the oil or butter do to the coffee tho? Does it have a similar feel to half n half or is it more greasy?

Quote Originally Posted by Marie20 View Post
    Staying under 150g of carbs was really hard for me at first when going primal (much less under 80!!). Give it time, and keep using something to calculate the macros in your daily intake occasionally
    Okay, when I do my macros am I supposed to be looking at total carbs of net carbs? I can't seem to find the answer to this on the interwebs. I looked at my net carbs and it seems like I'm actually hitting 65 grams most days, which is good, but the fiber jumps the total to over 80 g. (I don't think either is actually right, but I figure if I aim for the lowest possible amount, the highest estimate is still going to be lower than my target which is just to keep in under 100)

Thanks again!

PrimalCon New York
    Yesterday's Meals:
    B: My Kale n' Eggs scramble
    L: Leftover Saag and Tandoori from the night before
    D: DH made his awesome pork soup thingy 'cause I requested it. It has ground pork, pounds of bok choy, carrots, and shitake mushrooms, garlic and onions, a pork stock I made from bones, tofu, and a fermented fava bean and chili paste that we get at the Asian market. It also features rice noodles, which hopefully count as a resistant starch and are therefore Primal...ish.
    S: Macadamia nuts and some raw, sharp cheddar
    Bev: Water Kefir (most sour batch yet; if there's sugar in that, I can't tell), tea with raw milk and honey

Yesterday's workout: Walk around the block in the nice sunshine, then a little ride on the stationary bike while watching the final season of Breaking Bad, then about five reps of five on this leg extension exercise I invented to work my lower abs.

Mood: Still kinda tired but coming out of it. Headache is gone, yay, I'm assuming it was a combo of being tired and dehydrated. Still thirsty, but living in dry, dry Los Angeles, that's kind of a constant. I'm popping awake at six thirty, no alarm needed, and falling asleep at ten thirty or thereabouts, just *BOOM* out like a light.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast