Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is all coconut oil created equally? page

Ollie is offline Senior Member

Is all coconut oil created equally?

I bought my first coconut oil couple weeks back "pure coconut oil" cooked most things with it. Note: it was quite hard in texture and it had the faintest (if any) of coconut scent and same for the taste.

Now just bought another one "organic coconut" yet this one had a obvious coconut smell and can also taste it in food and was very soft in texture.

Why are they so different? Is one better than you other? Or are they just made different but both good as eachother?

Puddymama is offline Senior Member
    I think there are definite differences in quality. We use Nutiva - it's the best we've found so far.

dacec is offline Senior Member
    You should try to find organic raw coconut oil. You want the least processed oil as possible. The first one you had was refined, heat processed. The second may very well be refined as well unless it says raw.

I made the same mistake .

shannon is offline Senior Member
    i LOVE coconut oil! i only use the organic kind. sometimes i get the whole foods brand(good price!) sometimes i get spectrum. just look for the organic bec they use all kinds of hexane and nasty stuff in the other stuff i hear. it may of been hard bec of the room temperature. coconut oil melts at like 76 deg F. it will remain solid below that. did i mention that i LOVE coconut oil? he he.

Yes just found that out too! The first one is refined and the second is not (and it is raw).

Damn. I prefer the processed refined. Is there really much difference between the two nutritionally..

shannon is offline Senior Member
    i'm sure there is a difference. anything highly processed loses it's nutritional kick. stick with the raw stuff

AntonG is offline Senior Member
    always use unrefined. the refined gets heated up to very high temperatures and undergoes chemical processes that destroy the alpha lipoic acids, mess with MCTs and ruin any health benefits that coconut oil provides. you might as well not buy it at all. if its refined its just as processed as shitty plant oils we have been avoiding. buy extra virgin unrefined kind, it costs about the same. also look to see if it was cold pressed, this means its basically coconut meat mashed up without assistance of heat. i dont understand why people even buy refined, it provides zero benefits in comparison to unrefined.

dacec is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AntonG View Post
    i dont understand why people even buy refined, it provides zero benefits in comparison to unrefined.
    I think people buy it when they are new to coconut oil and don't realize that there is a difference!

^ Correct. But thanks AntonG that's what i needed to know..

waxleaves is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by AntonG View Post
    i dont understand why people even buy refined, it provides zero benefits in comparison to unrefined.
    I bought refined because I sometimes need something to cook with over high heat. Is there anything else (that isn't bad for you, of course) that can do the job?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast