Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Excellent Critique of Good Calories, Bad Calories page 9

Mirrorball is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, Canarygirl! I'm happy that you found that article useful. It also matches my experience with low carb.
    Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

mark91345 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirrorball View Post
    So I think it's important to stop villifying all carbs. Less restrictions = more satisfied people on easier-to-follow diets. I would still weigh 200 lb if I were trying to do Atkins and falling off the wagon constantly. But add fruits and starchy tubers back = almost 60 lb lost.
    I wish I could agree with this, as yes, I do go through the "falling off the wagon" routine; however, when I stick with the very-low-carb plan, I lose weight. So, it is not a matter of "villifying" carbs, but acknowledging that they make me fat. When I don't eat them, I lose the fat. It's really that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by mark91345 View Post
    I wish I could agree with this, as yes, I do go through the "falling off the wagon" routine; however, when I stick with the very-low-carb plan, I lose weight. So, it is not a matter of "villifying" carbs, but acknowledging that they make me fat. When I don't eat them, I lose the fat. It's really that simple.
    Have you already tried adding only paleo carbs back to your diet?

mark91345 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirrorball View Post
    Have you already tried adding only paleo carbs back to your diet?
    Just fruit... but that seems to be stalling my weight loss. I am not happy about it (believe me), but that's what the scale shows.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Canarygirl View Post
    Thanks, MirrorBall, for posting that article about the cate...stuff (high adrenaline output from low carb dieting).
    Can someone point me to this article? I'm having trouble finding the link and intersted in reading it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
    Can someone point me to this article? I'm having trouble finding the link and intersted in reading it. Thanks!
    http://180degreehealth.blogspot.com/...honeymoon.html

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I can't help but think that ol' Matt just ate too much meat and not enough fat. That's what he said to Jimmy Moore; essentially he just ate a lot of meat. We have an example of a carnivorous society but they're doing 25% protein and 75% fat . Clearly no carbs isn't optimal and even 50g of carbs indefinitely without some sort of a periodic spike and refeed is less than desirable but I'm skeptical that it needs to be all that common to avoid any sort of long-term detriments. And also skeptical of how bad those detriments really are with sufficient fat.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Canarygirl is offline Senior Member
    This topic is of great interest to me, and this article is the third place I've read that eating low carb as a lifestyle will cause long term elevated adrenaline levels which will over time negatively effect the adrenal glands. THe first place I read it was Diana Schwarzbein (endocrinologist and she said that eating too low of carbs over time will burn out the adrenals and "destroy the metabolism"), the second place was the moderator of "Dearthyroid" blog (endocrinologist who talked about the need to balance adrenals and thyroid because of an inverse relationship between their output, so high adrenaline leading to reduced thyroid output), and the third place was this last article posted by Mirrorball.

People may want to cast off these opinions as old school/conventional wisdom but I think that endos who form opinions based on personal observation of their patients are worth listening to. Personally, I am going to try carb cycling with higher carb intake on workout days and low to moderate carb PB on non-workout days. I stopped losing weight on daily 50gm carb PB so I have nothing to lose. I'll report back on how it goes.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    I can't help but think that ol' Matt just ate too much meat and not enough fat. That's what he said to Jimmy Moore; essentially he just ate a lot of meat. We have an example of a carnivorous society but they're doing 25% protein and 75% fat . Clearly no carbs isn't optimal and even 50g of carbs indefinitely without some sort of a periodic spike and refeed is less than desirable but I'm skeptical that it needs to be all that common to avoid any sort of long-term detriments. And also skeptical of how bad those detriments really are with sufficient fat.
    I missed this post when you first made it. Aren't you making a leap from eating too much protein is bad (and Matt Stone is a jerk) to not eating anything but meat is not optimal, even when you don't overeat protein and get enough fat?

@ Razzzwell: Thanks, will be checking out your blog

979roadrunner is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well, the sugar rush and crash is a well documented (even by CW) occurence, weather we want to believe it or not, BUT actualy is reduced if that sugar is accompanied by protien / fat, which in most people helps regulate the effect (this from a practicing diabetes educator)
    My wife, who is diabetic, can eat an orange (pure sugar) and have a sugar spike that clearly illustrates this effect, but a Snickers bar (gasp) does not, although it does other bad things to her, now that she's gotten fairly Primal. This is not anecdotal but verified via blood glucose monitoring, and the same thing happens to non diabetics, except they don't need to inject insulin to bring the sugar back down. the body does it, and overdoes it,because the spike is so huge, which causes low sugar, and sugar cravings in healthy people. Bread does the same thing.
    The reason starches get a bad rap, even primal ones, is that they're STILL a lot of calories in a small package. Take a baked potato off your plate and you can replace it with a at TON of broccoli, Spinache, etc, so cutting back on starches also cuts back on calories automaticaly.
    I've not read GCBC, but I have seen the video where he comes out with 'exercise makes you fat'. The whole idea was that, since we used to say about hard work that you 'worked up an appetite', exercise would cause you to 'work up an appetite' and you would then overeat.
    Sorry, but that hypothesis is a load of crap. Exercise is good for you, and healthy, as long as it's not overdone. This one idea turned me off so bad I didn't listen to the rest of the vid.
    Carbs, for most people, aren't bad. Veggies, even my beloved broccoli and spinache, are carbs. I've heard so many folks say they don't eat carbs and then discuss the veggies they eat, it's sorta funny.
    Even Tuabes, in the vid I saw, is dissing carbs, then talks veggies. Realy? You lump carbs together as 'bad' then go back and say 'veggies good' and I'm supposed to take you seriously? Someone who has educated themselves enough to write a book on nutrition should know better.
    I'm not old, I'm Vintage!

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast