Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Excellent Critique of Good Calories, Bad Calories page 5

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    A better comparison would have been eating blueberry pancakes vs eating steak. You just cannot eat that much steak, but you can pack in pancakes to the bursting point. Then the pancakes process so fast that leptin barely does it's job before ghrelin is demanding lunch. The steak takes several hours to process and leptin works while ghrelin stays suppressed and you just don't eat as much. The satiety of eating low carb high fat is well documented. Addictive carb eating may not have the references, but it would just seem silly to me to deny it is a very real issue.

Mirrorball is offline Senior Member
    It's the protein in the steak that makes you feel full so fast. Not the fat. Compare a steak with nuts, which plenty of people overeat. Nuts are much lower in protein. And blueberry pancakes are not really low-fat.

And no, I don't believe in carb addiction. Try a low-carb diet and you might think you have a carb addiction. But if you go to vegan websites, you'll hear people talking about their "meat addiction". Once I read about a raw vegan complaining about his "cooked food addiction". And when I was on a low-fat diet, all I wanted to eat was a cheese omelet dripping with butter. That was my "fat addiction". It's all the same thing to me.
    Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

Quote Originally Posted by couch handy
    As far as eating as much fat as you want: go ahead, see how much pure fat you can choke down. It won't be much.
    Quote Originally Posted by couch handy View Post
    I eat coconut oil by the Tbsp, mmmm.
    So in your opinion can people overeat pure fat or not?

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirrorball View Post
    And no, I don't believe in carb addiction.
    It doesn't matter if you believe it.

It's real.

Sugar is a carb.

Thus, intermittent, excessive sugar intake sensitized D-1 and mu-1 receptors much like some drugs of abuse.
    sweet taste in the absence of fat may be largely responsible for producing addictive-like behaviors that include a withdrawal syndrome.
    Of course anyone who has abused sweets knows about the craving.

Then Dr. Eades has no trouble extending the issue to glucose and carbs in general.

Anecdotally, I have denied myself meat and messed with vegetarianism with no cravings at all. I have gone high carb and low fat, also with no cravings or problems. I cut carbs and went through worse withdrawals than kicking smokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Grol View Post
    It doesn't matter if you believe it.

It's real.

Sugar is a carb.
    There are other articles in PubMed which say that low-fat diets are healthier than low-carb diets and grains are good for you, including the second article you linked to, who blames fat for weight gain. Are you going to abandon your low-carb diet and start eating grains? No, I didn't think so.

Everything that scientists write about are hypotheses and we are allowed to disagree. You don't have to eat according to the newest pyramid either. I disagree that sugar is more addictive than any other thing that gives us pleasure. People eat sweets instead of vegetables because sweets taste better. But I don't believe that sweets are addictive the same way that alcohol is addictive, for instance. Even newborn babies who never ate anything enjoy the sweet taste. Loving sweets is in our DNA.
    I have gone high carb and low fat, also with no cravings or problems. I cut carbs and went through worse withdrawals than kicking smokes.
    Try quitting oxygen. You'll have the worst kinds of cravings ever. Maybe you didn't have any cravings for meat when you switched to vegetarianism, but a lot of people have. Like I said, another anecdote, when I was on a low-fat diet, I daydreamed about eating a cheese omelet. Fat addiction?
    Last edited by Mirrorball; 07-01-2010 at 09:18 PM.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member
    I cut carbs and went through worse withdrawals than kicking smokes.
    +1. As an ex smoker, I experienced this first hand. it took me a week to stop craving something sweet after every meal.

People sensitive to carbs + diet high in "bad" carbs = compulsive carb consumption and metabolic dysfunctions.
    “Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

I will repeat what I had already eaten. Alcoholics can drink pure alcohol, it doesn't matter to them. But I dare any "sugar addict" to binge on pure sugar. Grab a spoon and the sugar bowl and eat as much as you want. Let's see how addicted you are.

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Grab the sugar bowl and see how much pure sugar you can choke down.
    strange, i'm pretty sure those 5 cent candies are damn near pure sugar and I could eat those by the kilo. 2 tbsp of coco oil is about all i can manage at any given time by itself. And yes I have tried eating sucrose straight up, it's a lot easier than eating fat straight up.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

They aren't pure candy though. I bet they have at least some artificial flavours added. 2 tbsp coconut oil = 27.2 g = 234 kcal = almost 5 tbsp sugar. Both are disgusting IMO.

couch handy is offline Junior Member
    They aren't pure candy though. I bet they have at least some artificial flavours added. 2 tbsp coconut oil = 27.2 g = 234 kcal = almost 5 tbsp sugar. Both are disgusting IMO.
    LOL at your disinformation. Pure coconut oil is 100% fat.
    http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/fats-and-oils/508/2

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast