Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Excellent Critique of Good Calories, Bad Calories page 4

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    A lot of people take the "eat tons of fat" message to mean load up on bacon, nuts, eggs, olive oil, etc and don't sweat it as long as the carbs are low. But that's folly because omega 6 and lack of omega 3 is profoundly detrimental to fat loss and more importantly regaining the ability to tolerate carbs and be optimally healthy. Sure cutting out the carbs gets people excellent results in fat loss but without eating the right types of fats it really is only half the picture. Same goes for micronutrients and lifestyle factors. It is wrong to see carb restriction as a panacea, although i would argue that it is best if overweight people keep carbs below 50g a day, at least for the first few months.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

AutumnP is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    A lot of people take the "eat tons of fat" message to mean load up on bacon, nuts, eggs, olive oil, etc and don't sweat it as long as the carbs are low. But that's folly because omega 6 and lack of omega 3 is profoundly detrimental to fat loss and more importantly regaining the ability to tolerate carbs and be optimally healthy. Sure cutting out the carbs gets people excellent results in fat loss but without eating the right types of fats it really is only half the picture. Same goes for micronutrients and lifestyle factors. It is wrong to see carb restriction as a panacea, although i would argue that it is best if overweight people keep carbs below 50g a day, at least for the first few months.
    Well said, Stabby.... +1

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, shame Taubes didn't right a 20 volume unabridged set of tomes. Stabby you inspired my dinner last night. I'll post the recipe when I get a chance.

couch handy is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chefgerry View Post
    No, I though you might produce the studies......anyway those studies and all studies where self reporting of food consumed could never be used as scientific proof and the foundation for any hypothesis where caloric intake is in question. Personally I think sticking his head in the sand and cherry picking his study material in this manner is more in line with his journalistic background and only proves he's no scientist....not even close.
    Well then if you haven't read it, you aren't really qualified to critique it are you? The studies are cited in the book...I would do your homework for you in the spirit of charity but I've loaned my copy out. The studies I referred to were not "self reporting" but were actually controlled studies taking place on hospital wards. If memory serves:
    Example: 1st group: calorie reduced/balanced diet of 1300Kc (carb, protein and fat)
    2nd group: calorie reduced/ protein, fat, no carb 1300Kc (fat replaces carb )
    3rd group: unlimited calories/protein, fat, no carb

Over the course of the study, patients in the first group lost the least weight. Patients in the second group lost the most weight, and patients in the 3rd group lost almost as much weight as the patients in the second group. These results were duplicated and peer reviewed and published. Unlike the two studies (and I think there are only two) by Jean Meyer (upon which our entire exercise/health club/personal trainer/public health policy is based) which have never been replicated.

As far as your declaration that Taubes is far from being a scientist, he has degrees in Physics and Aerospace Engineering and a masters in Journalism and has received numerous awards including acknowledgments from MIT and the National Association of Science Writers. What awards have you recieved for excellent science writing of late? Perhaps in real life you are actually qualified to challenge his credentials and integrity. I'm certainly not. You aren't miffed that he ripped on Cold Fusion in one of his earlier books are you?

Quote Originally Posted by chima_p View Post
    I am just saying that because of Taubes misleading research there are alot of people who have somehow interperted what he has to say as "Eat as much fat as you want and lose weight!".

This is simply not what is happening. It's still about calories.
    Play with this awhile:
    where

ΔW is weight change
    κ is ~0.000285 lbs/Cal (Food Calorie = 1kcal)
    Ein(t) is the calories you intake
    Eout(t) is the calories you output

True statement: ΔW=κ∫dt (Ein(t)-Eout(t)) or over the course of one day: ΔW=κ(Ein-Eout)

But energy in energy out isn't just a function of activity, it's also a function of what you eat:

ΔW=κ∫dt (Ein(Eat(t),Activity(t-τ))-Eout(Activity(t),Eat(t-τ)))

or more correctly, we'd have to integrate over τ too

ΔW=κ∫∫dtdτ (Ein(Eat(t),Activity(t-τ))-Eout(Activity(t),Eat(t-τ)))

As far as eating as much fat as you want: go ahead, see how much pure fat you can choke down. It won't be much. A stack of blueberry pancakes is far easier to wolf down than a jar of coconut butter or a stack of sirloins, even.

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member
    "As far as eating as much fat as you want: go ahead, see how much pure fat you can choke down. It won't be much. A stack of blueberry pancakes is far easier to wolf down than a jar of coconut butter or a stack of sirloins, even."

More true than naysayers would like to believe.

Mirrorball is offline Senior Member
    Grab the sugar bowl and see how much pure sugar you can choke down.
    Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrorball View Post
    Grab the sugar bowl and see how much pure sugar you can choke down.
    So you are suggesting to choke down as much poison as you can.

Mirrorball is offline Senior Member
    *shrug* Try to do that and you'll see you won't go very far. Pure fat and pure sugar are both very unappealing. Not just pure fat.
    Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirrorball View Post
    *shrug* Try to do that and you'll see you won't go very far. Pure fat and pure sugar are both very unappealing. Not just pure fat.
    Since I am very low carb, I "supplement" fats to make up for the lack of calories from carbs. I eat coconut oil by the Tbsp, mmmm. Freeze it in ice cube trays and it's even better. A friend of mine eats 3-4 pemmican bars a day ( beef tallow, grass fed of course) to get enough fat and calories into his diet. Pem is basically pure fat with a little jerky thrown in for flavor.
    Last edited by couch handy; 07-01-2010 at 05:02 PM.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast