Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are all sardines wild-caught? page 2

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I recommended King Oscar in the long post, but it isn't a strong recommendation. It's just about them only harvesting "the finest brisling from icy fjords" and my quest for mega omega 3s.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for all the info! I'm sure I saw King Oscar at the market today, but it was a bit expensive for the same amount of (advertised) omega 3, which is why I didn't get them.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    Can anyone answer the same question for mackerel?!
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Grol is offline Senior Member
    I don't know if larger fast growing species of mackerel are being farmed yet, but I know a few breeds have been deemed feasible. The smaller ones who live like sardines in massive deep ocean schools, probably cannot be contained successfully for farming. With all the pressure on the world's fisheries mackerel and sardines are fed to salmon in farms to the tune of three pounds of fish meal for each pound of farmed salmon. Yet, somehow aquaculture has a huge backing right now for being the salvation of fisheries. Oy. Not so sure about that.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    On a slightly different tack, I discovered that canned mackerel is an amazingly LEAN fish! Cheap, too, $1.50 for a large can. I eat it with hot sauce.

While I do eat sardines and salmon often, capsules are just so much better in quantity of n3, and easy to get every day.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheBayou View Post
    On a slightly different tack, I discovered that canned mackerel is an amazingly LEAN fish! Cheap, too, $1.50 for a large can. I eat it with hot sauce.

While I do eat sardines and salmon often, capsules are just so much better in quantity of n3, and easy to get every day.
    Nah, liquid is better.

I never cared to look for mackerel. Will keep an eye out for it next time!
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

selamatpagi is offline Junior Member
    Today I bought 2 15 oz cans of California girl Sardines. They are from Equador and according to the lable they are wild caught. I have had them before over Jasmine rice, stir fried vegetable and Sambal ( an Indonesian hot pepper condiment ) The only complaint I have is that the Sardines seem to be over cooked.

missblue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstareddy View Post
    Can anyone answer the same question for mackerel?!
    I've been getting some Season brand packed in olive oil lately that is simply fantastic. Almost like a cross between sardines and tuna

krsn89 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Are canned sardines really OK? I always thought they were fine. Just saw this thread and now I'm paranoid about eating "cheap" sardines! I usually get the Brunswick brand because I can find it in every grocery store but my most preferred brands are AA-1 and Ligo sardines, both in tomato sauce, usually found in Asian supermarkets. The only ingredients are sardines, tomato paste, water and salt. This seemed fairly innocuous, but I eat sardines probably 3x a week so I just wanted to make sure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12