Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Milk page

DebbiePoli is offline Junior Member

Milk

Hi everyone
    I know milk is not paleo, but tell me: how much can a cup of milk a day ruin one's diet?
    I've read about lactoses becoming sugar and all, but do you think it's very harmful even when we're talking about 1 cup in the morning?
    Tks

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Not paleo, but it is "Primal" (this website's food choices) as long as it agrees with you. (No lactose issues, whatever)

Don't sweat the small stuff, if you like the cup in the morning, enjoy.

Owen is offline Senior Member
    If you eliminate it and feel better it's probably having some subtle negative effect. Thats true of most of these 'grey area' foods.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    To be pedantic, lactose is a sugar. A disaccharide of glucose and galactose.
    The Champagne of Beards

miata is offline Senior Member
    I would definitely eliminate dairy to see if it has an effect. A couple of years ago I had no idea how broken I was. However, after going through an all plant diet for 6 months and then one year of paleo I've discovered that the two biggest things that helped me were elimination of dairy and gluten. Gluten I avoid in all forms. For dairy, I use clarified grass fed butter with no restriction and use full butter, heavy cream for coffee and aged cheeses in a limited manner -- no other dairy though.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    it also depends on the milk. stuff in a plastic container at your megamart is a pretty dead food.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

DebbiePoli is offline Junior Member
    I don't feel any effects of lactose on my body, but I never tried not having any of it. I'm being very strict on other things like gluten and even fruit (I have to lose weight), but I'm being reluctant to give up on the milk because it's just ONE CUP A DAY...
    BTW I drink milk from a box, it's the most common form here where I live...

TQP
    TQP is offline Senior Member

Milk

Quote Originally Posted by DebbiePoli View Post
    I don't feel any effects of lactose on my body, but I never tried not having any of it. I'm being very strict on other things like gluten and even fruit (I have to lose weight), but I'm being reluctant to give up on the milk because it's just ONE CUP A DAY...
    BTW I drink milk from a box, it's the most common form here where I live...
    Try to drink better quality milk... Raw+grassfed is best, grassfed and lightly pasteurized (non-homogenized) is second best... The ultra pasteurized stuff in cartons isn't so great. I would at least get plastic jug organic milk since that's just pasteurized and not ultra pasteurized.

Keep in mind you can self induce lactose intolerance by cutting out dairy. I did that too myself and it took me a few months before I was able to drink it again. I still don't feel good with too much regular milk, but cottage cheese and yogurt I eat with wild abandon.

I haven't found dairy in general to hinder weightloss, and it's actually been a great tool for me (cottage cheese) to leaning out. For me it's low fat dairy that helps lean me out.
    Last edited by TQP; 03-09-2014 at 06:20 PM.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Dunno, TQP. Mark gave UHT a go and, really, if you've ever eaten anything with milk in it that's been baked you've had UHT and then some...

M.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    Dunno, TQP. Mark gave UHT a go and, really, if you've ever eaten anything with milk in it that's been baked you've had UHT and then some...

M.
    that stuff in tetra-paks is a dead food.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast