Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on how to push through an IF page

carolanne88 is offline Member

Question Advice on how to push through an IF

Primal Fuel
    Okay, so I am doing an IF and it's been 14 hours since I ate last. I'd like to make it at least 2-4 more hours, if not longer.

Any tips on pushing through?

I just need to stay focused at work and not be grumpy. I can deal with the hunger pains.

fortunata1 is offline Junior Member
    Well...I'm going to get all Zen-ee here and recommend that you practice mindfulness. It's not the body that's pushing to break the fast, it's the mind. Observe your thoughts but don't identify with them.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Just learn that your body doesn't really need food like you think it does and realize that your hunger isn't going to get any worse. I find that my stomach my brain a message once in a while, but it's my brain that works the fork. As for being grumpy I just don't let things like that bother me or have an effect on my mood. It's kind of a hard thing to teach though, you just have to learn to be that way and I have.

RezH is offline Senior Member
    If you have a nice fatty meal the night before, and stay busy (not physically busy), that should help. I don't like the last 6 hours or so either. Try to save them for a Saturday or Sunday non-workout day. Do things where you don't have access to food.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Even the smells of people fixing food at work doesn't really bother me anymore. I think it's the fact that I want my abs out more than anything else right now.

Spinner is offline Senior Member
    I try to keep my hands busy--knitting, crocheting, sewing and the like, and not pay attention to the messages my stomach is sending out. By doing handwork, I find that I am able to tune out the hunger pangs. I also read that knitting works on the brain the same way that meditation does. So... meditation in motion?
    Every day is another stitch in the quilt of life.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Re-Start date 6/23/2011
    me--Post pregnancy --mama to a beautiful baby boy--
    273.4/269.3/115
    Hubby--230/227.8/165

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Ultraviolence.

It's the gift that keeps giving.

That, and Metal. It's hard to be hungry when you're seriously headbangin'.

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    I try to keep my hands busy--knitting, crocheting, sewing and the like, and not pay attention to the messages my stomach is sending out. By doing handwork, I find that I am able to tune out the hunger pangs. I also read that knitting works on the brain the same way that meditation does. So... meditation in motion?
    I don't sew, but +1 on keeping busy. I'm finishing my 3rd week of 24 hour fasts, everyday (one large meal in the morning, won't eat again until the following morning).
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Well.. I'm going to go out on a limb here... and say it depends on why you're having trouble pushing through.

For me, I only IF unintentionally... i.e. I'm not really hungry so I don't eat until I am and it works out to be a while :-)

Usually this happens when I have a nice full meal around 5 ish at night. Don't usually eat again in the evening and can easily get to 9 or 10 before eating breakfast as I'm not a hungry in the early a.m. type of gal. So that ends up being 16 or 17 hours. I find though that being able to do that comes and goes-- depending on my body's needs. So if I'm feeling a bit hungryish and I've thought about it and it's not just the "it's been a while I should be eating" kind of hunger, but actual hunger... then I'll eat.

My personal thoughts on IF is that if you're body is healthy (i.e. no serious metabolic disorders, other endocrine disorders, etc that you're trying to fix), and you have a good full meal before the IF (i.e. plenty of fats and protein... not a small meal, in other words), you should be able to breeze through most IFs easily (not counting dealing with the psychological stuff... like the thought you should be eating, other people's food triggering you, etc in which case everybody else's advice is great). If you can't... maybe your not prepping with enough food/fat, or maybe your body's not quite ready to do that just yet.

I will admit I'm extra careful because I'm hypothyroid, and dealing with adrenal and metabolic issues, so my focus is in healing the body. But I do still IF... just not so often, and usually because that is what my body needs at that point in time. Im a big believer in not "pushing" your body to do things until it's ready, and learning to listen to it to see when it is.
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I usually end up IFing because I'm not hungry too. That or there's nothing primal to eat.

Today there was not decent cooking oil/fats to cook grass fed beef with, so I just didn't eat until I went down to my corner grill to have a salad. (They're closing their doors at the end of the week after 40 years, bummer.) So it was a 17 hour fast for me.

For me that's the best way. Not hungry? Don't eat. Can't eat right now? Just wait a little.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast