Thread: High BP Meds and Starting PB page

feenux is offline Junior Member

Question High BP Meds and Starting PB

Primal Fuel
    Hi all.

I am hoping that you can all help guide me to a decision.

Currently, I am on a beta blocker. I was placed on the beta blocker because my blood pressure was spiking up to 170/100 and would run between 130-150/80-90. Due to my age at the time (22), my doctor thought that it was due to anxiety. I have always been a stressful person, so this seemed reasonable. My blood pressure can fluctuate between 100/60 to 130/80 depending on time, day, stress, etc. I lost some weight, I'm down now between 170lbs using the standard low fat diet.

Anyways, I would like to go primal because the low fat diet has made me "skinny fat." From what I have read, I should expect my blood pressure to lower. I am a bit concerned considering that lately I have been hovering between 100-110/55-65. Should I talk with my doctor about lowering my medications before going primal?

Thanks for any advice provided.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by feenux View Post
    Hi all.

I am hoping that you can all help guide me to a decision.

Currently, I am on a beta blocker. I was placed on the beta blocker because my blood pressure was spiking up to 170/100 and would run between 130-150/80-90. Due to my age at the time (22), my doctor thought that it was due to anxiety. I have always been a stressful person, so this seemed reasonable. My blood pressure can fluctuate between 100/60 to 130/80 depending on time, day, stress, etc. I lost some weight, I'm down now between 170lbs using the standard low fat diet.

Anyways, I would like to go primal because the low fat diet has made me "skinny fat." From what I have read, I should expect my blood pressure to lower. I am a bit concerned considering that lately I have been hovering between 100-110/55-65. Should I talk with my doctor about lowering my medications before going primal?

Thanks for any advice provided.
    You should always discuss with a doctor before lowering medications. Don't follow everything he says blindly, otherwise the primal diet wouldn't even exist, but any time you plan on modifying a medicine regimen its not a bad idea to speak with your doctor regarding what you plan on trying. He may try to dissuade you, but in the event that something goes wrong or you get sick he will at least be informed of what you have been doing.

feenux is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    You should always discuss with a doctor before lowering medications. Don't follow everything he says blindly, otherwise the primal diet wouldn't even exist, but any time you plan on modifying a medicine regimen its not a bad idea to speak with your doctor regarding what you plan on trying. He may try to dissuade you, but in the event that something goes wrong or you get sick he will at least be informed of what you have been doing.
    Thanks, I never planned on lowering the medication without his approval, but I do feel that now that I am hovering around the levels that I am, it does not feel comfortable to go full primal until I can at least halve the medication I am on.