Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fasting; water and longer than two days page

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member

Fasting; water and longer than two days

Primal Fuel
    Has anyone ever tried a 72 hour fast? What are the effects and benefits, im just thinkin thats some serious down/up regulation right there that might do the body good once in a blue moon and im a bout to pursue it starting now.

And how about water, i IF all the time, but what exactly is the role of water in fasting?
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I don't push longer than 24 hours personally. If you go too much longer than that your body will begin to cannibalize your muscles as fuel.

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    My longest was 10 days. Not convinced of the benefits of that long of a fast, I just enjoyed the challenge of the self control...but that was years ago, and I would not do it again.

How about water?
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGrappler View Post
    How about water?
    to thirst.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Grappler, can you better explain what you think the benefit of a 72 hour fast would be? I don't fully follow the up/down regulation comment.

The historic health related role of water fasting is the apparent healing or mitigating of a long list of maladies. And there's a spiritual role too. One could date therapeutic fasting back to the onset of the agricultural revolution, the entry of neolithic foods to the human diet. Also one could argue the upper paleolithic ice age forced fasting on humans through a feast or famine cycle, and those most capable of healthy fasting survived the evolutionary process. More likely it wasn't physiological evolution involved though. The tribes from the Asian Steppes were simply better informed on how to survive brutal cold and they moved into Europe successfully with cold weather technology, not bodies better equipped to fast. Rambling... sorry.

I think Brad at Eat Stop Eat and Martin at Leangains both have information suggesting starvation mode type bad things start at 72 hours. Is that why you picked that number? I personally don't believe exact times can be applied to everyone. Some very lean people may suffer sooner. Some very obese people with "Taubes-explained" malnutrition could really mess themselves up. Some chubby yet fit types could probably feed off of their own fat much longer. I've done 7 36-50 hour fasts this month. I think skipping a whole day and pushing it into the next is helping me lose body fat a little faster, but there is no "control me" for comparison so I cannot be sure. My plan is ten this month; #8 started after dinner last night at 7pm.

I only weigh on the first of a month and I woke up thinking of pushing this one past 48 hours to end the month with a big number. My July plan is 15 fasts instead of 10, literal alternate day eating. The Eades did that for two weeks, struggled, but liked the results. Then in August, the harshest month of my primal winter, my plan is to eat for 11 days and not eat for 20.

In August I will test the 72 hour thing a few times. I have a lot more fat than you to burn though. I'm fairly confident you won't hurt yourself if you go for 72 hours. You may learn somethings about yourself. You may find Jesus.

You absolutely need water and probably shouldn't skimp especially when you are fasting. I'm a big fan of proper hydration anyway, but during a fast water is also going to help filter waste products out of your system. Plus, as a side effect, it also helps keep hunger in check and makes fasting possible in my opinion. I drink the hell out of green tea during the day and I've recently added black coffee in as well as I try to get down the the bf percentage that I want.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    The longest I did was 36h. The longest I'll do from now on is 18h. For me, I think it's pointless beyond that. It sure would mess up my progress with the weights.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Thanks guys! And dont worry, i love the rambling. Nothing beats in depth analysis and facts. How much water though? Because i never feel thirsty but i know i need more water. I can tell more or less by urine color and water retention, so would it benefit me to beast on water? I mean, i want to filter out all the waste products, but i dont wanna flush away all my minerals either

I always have a cup of tea and a glass of water at my desk. So, just while I'm at work I drink at least five cups of tea and a couple more of water.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast