Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking 10k run nutrition advice.

Seeking 10k run nutrition advice.

Shop Now
    Hi all,i am running the Manchester (England) 10k a week on Sunday and would appreciate some tips on nutrition bearing in mind i used to load up with carbs ie. pasta.
    Best Regards.

I would recommend one small sweet potato about an hour or two before the race with some coconut butter on top.
    I would also make sure my dinner the night before had more carbs than i would usually consume at dinner.

Good luck in your race!

My Hubby just ran a local marathon. His diet regime included a smoothie with kefir, banana, blueberry 7 spinach pre runs, Gu & Gatorade during longer runs, and some white rice with dinner before the race/long runs and a good recovery drink with carbs from fruit and some protein. He never hit a wall or had any problems, other than one longer run when he was only drinking water, s a heavy sweater we think we was low on salt/electrolytes, the addition of Gatorade fixed that.

Edited to add....be sure that you don't eat anything unusual pre race! Eat what you have been eating, maybe a little more on the healthy carb side.

Quote Originally Posted by chima_p View Post
    I suggest staying at home and eating bacon.

Maybe I just don't understand running...
    bacon mmmmmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolly View Post
    I would recommend one small sweet potato about an hour or two before the race with some coconut butter on top.
    I would also make sure my dinner the night before had more carbs than i would usually consume at dinner.

Good luck in your race!
    Thanks,sound good.

i was thinking white rice,maybe with chilli the night before.thanks.

How much do you normally run? What do you eat before your long runs now? From my understanding, the pasta pre-race dinner is kinda useless b/c your muscles replenish themselves post-workout, not just anytime you eat carbs. That's what I've been told anyway, so that implies the best thing you can do is eat a sweet potato after any practice run leading up to your race.

I just did a 10k myself that started at 10am...I ate a slightly more carb-heavy dinner the night before (as in I put ~1/4 cup grapes on my salad) & made sure I drank plenty of water in the days leading up to it (was a very hot humid race day). I didn't eat anything for breakfast before the race but afterwards I had one of the kielbasas they were grilling & handing out for free Mmmm!
    But its all in what you're accustomed to doing really.
    Good luck & have fun!!!

thanks,sweet potato sounds good,probably a kiwi also and much water.

Learn More
    Agree 100% with lolly...

I usually eat a banana about an hour before and eat a "carb heavy" meal the night before (meat, sweet potato). I only run 5k's though...