Thread: Math problem -- need help page

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member

Math problem -- need help

Shop Now
    Math is NOT my strong suit. Has nothing to do with Primal.

Gas here is $3.85 a gallon. I get 18 miles to the gallon. I drove 15.5 miles. How much did the trip cost?

I should know how to figure this. Didn't like math but was great in English!

Thanks, especially if you don't make fun of me.

Grokules is offline Junior Member
    $23.32

$3.32 for gas and $20 for consulting fees. Invoice is in the mail.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokules View Post
    $23.32

$3.32 for gas and $20 for consulting fees. Invoice is in the mail.
    I had it calculated at $3,31527777777778, but I like your calculation better

Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    I had it calculated at $3,31527777777778, but I like your calculation better
    Thank you both! I'll simply write down the figure. I would ask how you both got there because I may actually have to figure it out on my own some day, but, since it's Friday and I feel happy, let's just not confuse me. Be glad that I didn't ask you to figure out the one about how much I saved (per unit) at Sam's Club over Wal-Mart. Asked a CPA friend - he's still working on it. I was too embarrassed to load him up with another question. You're good people!

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    you divide the amount you pay per gallon into the m/pg for your particular vehicle -- (3.85/18) to figure how much it costs to drive 1 mile, then multiply by the distance you intend to drive (or have driven)

Oh, and did you factor in Sam's membership fee?

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime

miles driven mpg x cost of gas

you can do this in a calculator

----

edit or what gray said, this site is being horrendously slow for me...
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

sjoshua is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    Be glad that I didn't ask you to figure out the one about how much I saved (per unit) at Sam's Club over Wal-Mart. Asked a CPA friend - he's still working on it. I was too embarrassed to load him up with another question. You're good people!
    Seems like a CPA would not be necessary for such a question. Your answer is taking a while since he likely outsourced to intern labor.

Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    you divide the amount you pay per gallon into the m/pg for your particular vehicle -- (3.85/18) to figure how much it costs to drive 1 mile, then multiply by the distance you intend to drive (or have driven)

Oh, and did you factor in Sam's membership fee?
    I'm going to save this in case I need to do it again. I didn't think it was that easy. I'm on a fixed income, my husband's pension, and that started me on a "frugal kick". One of the 2 expenses I can control is gas and food. After I lost my husband I would spend a lot of time just driving around in town. For me it was comforting and I didn't have to go home so soon. It also cost me about $200 a month in gas. That's a lot since I live 2 blocks from where I work. I'm also changing how I grocery shop and plan meals. Sam's Club is part of the plan. I didn't factor in the membership costs but I'm aware they also have to be covered by the savings. The membership was $40 for the year and will be coming up for renewal in a few months. It's about 20 miles round trip but I try to only go once a month or a friend and I take turns driving. Once I got into this frugal "thing" I found it very interesting and even sort of fun. If I'm careful I can live well within my income. Naturally figuring the savings at Sam's over the next cheapest retailer for an item led me into water too deep. My last trip, according to "my figures" saved me about $42 after gas. Nevertheless, the car cruising has got to stop.
    Last edited by Rosemary 231; 03-07-2014 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sjoshua View Post
    Seems like a CPA would not be necessary for such a question. Your answer is taking a while since he likely outsourced to intern labor.
    The CPA is retired, a good friend more than willing to help, but golfs a lot.