Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IF and stubborn fat page

Nazri_PB is offline Junior Member

IF and stubborn fat

Shop Now
    I am a newby to PB but have been funnily enough eating in accordance to the guidelines anyways but have been tweeking few things. A lot of you guys recommend IF....what time frames work best for some of you? because IF during more than a few days surely will begin to deteriorate muscle proteins?

Would you still recommend IF for stubborn fat for someone like myself with a history of hormone imbalances? Don't want to reach sub-optimal body fat percentages as in the past this is negatively impacted menstruation etc.

I would like to try IF, but am not sure how to go about it esp, with the whole hormone imbalance!
    Bare in mind i train martial arts 2-3 X a week and normal weight training (squats, deadlifts, bench etc) 3 X a week.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Skip breakfast every other day and see how you feel, so however many hours you sleep plus whatever hours it takes you to get to lunch would be your IF. Some people like to go 24 hours but there's no evidence of SERIOUS added benefits after 18hrs. Not sure how it will affect any hormonal imbalance, try it one day and see how you do, it will probably be really easy. I don't even contemplate breakfast anymore, frees up a lot of time.

Nick "the Caveman" M. is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I don't even contemplate breakfast anymore, frees up a lot of time.
    And that is the truth right there. I IF every day that I am not working out in the morning. If I workout, I just have an egg protein shake pwo. I had hit a plateau of losing weight, specifically the dreaded stubborn lower ab area. So I have been doing IF for the past 2 weeks. Not as hard to jump into as I once thought.

David is offline Senior Member
    I am not trying to lose weight but am working constantly to lose 2 to 3 % BF. And, actually trying to gain a few pounds of muscle! Will IF help? I'm Mark's age, so, don't know if age has been the barrier to losing the last of my belly fat?!
    Any suggestions?? Thanks!

MagicMan is offline Junior Member
    If you skip the breakfast do you compensate for it later? Lets say my maintenance is 3000 calories. My breakfast is usually a 400 calorie huge protein-green smoothie. If I skip that can I squeeze it back in later? Or do I have to eat 400 calories less for IF to work (calorie deficit)?

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I don't eat breakfast or lunch and I don't snack. In the evenings, I'll eat once or twice depending on what I'm doing and how much time I have. When I eat I'm after as much protein as I can get to keep from losing muscle mass, which pretty much makes me a solid carnivore.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nazri_PB View Post
    I am a newby to PB but have been funnily enough eating in accordance to the guidelines anyways but have been tweeking few things. A lot of you guys recommend IF....what time frames work best for some of you? because IF during more than a few days surely will begin to deteriorate muscle proteins?

Would you still recommend IF for stubborn fat for someone like myself with a history of hormone imbalances? Don't want to reach sub-optimal body fat percentages as in the past this is negatively impacted menstruation etc.

I would like to try IF, but am not sure how to go about it esp, with the whole hormone imbalance!
    Bare in mind i train martial arts 2-3 X a week and normal weight training (squats, deadlifts, bench etc) 3 X a week.
    Go to leangains.blogspot.com

He has a great method. Basically you eat all your calories within a window period of 6-8 hours and fast the rest. That will give you 16-18 hour fasts everyday. IMO this is the best way to IF. Muscle wasting doesn't happen that early so you shouldn't worry.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Nazri_PB is offline Junior Member
    thanks guys i will try with missing breakfast. Its breaking tradition and habit when youve always been told its the most important meal and kick starts your metabolism. Ive got very depending on a fat and protien based breakfast to fuel me through the day.

i will have a look at that link, ive read a few things off there already and sounded neat!

So do i need to be careful not to overcompensate when i do eventually have lunhc or dinner??

Would it not be more effectve to miss dinner? as you dont really need the energy in the evening. so start fast after lunch and will continue through the night??

RezH is offline Senior Member
    Stop eating at 8pm, fast until noon. That's 16 hours.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Yeah, my eating window is from 12 PM to 6 PM. Basically a 6 hour 'lunch'.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast