Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adapting the Paleo diet to maximize training page

canuck416 is offline Senior Member

Adapting the Paleo diet to maximize training

Primal Fuel
    For those of you who are into hard core training and delivering peak athletic performance - How have you adapted your Paleo/Primal approach to nutrition to meet the physiological needs of your training?

Exercise creates a unique metabolic environment, an altered physiological state, and changes the way your body processes nutrients both during activity and for up to 48 hours after completion of a training session. If you train intensely three or more days a week, then your body is virtually in a recovery mode 100% of the time. It's in an altered physiological state 100% of the time and its nutritional needs are completely different than that of couch potato populations. In a sports nutrition context, carbohydrates are thus considered conditionally essential.

The Peak Performance Diet for Athletes by John Saville - Peak Performance Radio

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Steak and eggs diet!

Hahah you had good success with it last year, so I'm giving it a go.

After this, when fruit comes in season, I might give higher carb paleo a run (still only like 150g or less likely since its just damn hard to do more eating whole fruits and tubers). I'm more about metabolic seasonal flexibility right now I would say.

Hi Neckhammer, I think Steak and Eggs can work well for say 3 or 4 weeks in a periodized cutting phase, I did have some success with it last year. However I believe, and its been my experience, that those involved n sustained intense physical activity looking to achieve peak performance need a strategic use of Paleo friendly carbs.

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    I have written my approach elsewhere, but it fits precisely into your question. Here goes:

"Rest days" are not truly rest. They are usually very high in LISS, as I am usually doing a lot of farm work or taking a hike/snowshoe walk somewhere. On these days, I tend to keep carbs pretty low if possible, usually around 50g.
    "Training days" are when I do heavy lifting. I tend to train fasted with BCAA, then lift, then eat a pretty heavy meal with about 100g of carbs after. It is almost always the same meal, a GF steak bowl with veg, hot sauce, and white rice.

On days where I am trying to perform, such as for a rugby game, race, Strongman comp, I will actually eat breakfast for once and load up on carbs, usually potatoes and fruit.
    "Man is born free.....but everywhere he is in chains."

Sounds like an excellent approach TheyCallMeLazarus. Was this something you evolved over time after embracing a Paleo approach and lost some initial weight or is it something you have been doing since the beginning?

LanDach is offline Member
    I do something very similar to Lazarus, no BCAA's though. Train in a semi-fasted to fully fasted state, then literally gorge on about 100g of protein and 100-150g carbs (sweet potatoes, plantains, beets, fruit). I strictly keep it low carb on off days when doing LISS.

When I'm doing a race (Spartan or something similar), I rest the day before and carb load at dinner. I don't eat before the race, just coffee, MCT, and maybe some butter.

Quote Originally Posted by LanDach View Post
    I do something very similar to Lazarus, no BCAA's though. Train in a semi-fasted to fully fasted state, then literally gorge on about 100g of protein and 100-150g carbs (sweet potatoes, plantains, beets, fruit). I strictly keep it low carb on off days when doing LISS.

When I'm doing a race (Spartan or something similar), I rest the day before and carb load at dinner. I don't eat before the race, just coffee, MCT, and maybe some butter.
    Interesting do you eat the 100 gms of Protein and the 150 gms of carbs at the same time, right after your workout?
    Last edited by canuck416; 03-08-2014 at 06:13 AM.

LanDach is offline Member
    Usually about an hour after I'm done.

Pheebie is online now Senior Member
    I have a question: what if you're not even remotely hungry for an hour or more post-workout? I do my workouts (HIIT) as soon as I wake up (5 a.m.) then have to dash to shower & get to work by 7:30. My appetite doesn't kick in until 9 AM or so. I cannot, CANNOT eat, or chug a protein shake/drink, if I'm not hungry. In the past when I've tried, it results in tummy upset and, for lack of a better verbal expression, feeling yucky for several hours. No thanks.

On days when I do less intense activity (walking for an hour), then sure, I'm hungry right away. Yet eating protein within a 30 minute window wouldn't make sense because my muscles haven't been taxed very much. I've always found the high intensity, all-out stuff keeps me from feeling hungry for at least an hour.

Granted, I'm already lean and don't need to lose weight, but what gal wouldn't want a little more muscle definition, especially with pool season approaching. What to do?

4Ever Young is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Pheebie,

Hunger is the signal that the body needs food. Immediately following a high intensity workout there is more chemical reactions, waste removal happening than we really fully understand. The idea that you need to eat right away in reality is not so. Its not as though suddenly you'll waste away or something. I used to buy into it. "Buy" being the key word! I believe that the whole thing was concocted by the protein supplement industry to sell lots of powder and hey they sell lots of it.

I have since taken to eating about an hour or two after the session. If I seriously don't feel like eating I wait. I have noticed no negative effect whatsoever. Not being hungry means your body is in the midst of recovering in the immediate sense after the workout. Eat when you are hungry and all will be good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast