Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega 3 grass fed beef vs store bought omega 6 beef page

robmedina is offline Member

Omega 3 grass fed beef vs store bought omega 6 beef

A stupid question for you- Does an animal grazing wildly in nature develop more omega 3 in their muscle than farm raised domestic animals? Is that why I see some beef and some eggs as being high in omega 3's?
    If that be true, than one would assume all wild game would be high in omega 3's, no?

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Well grass-fed beef is a domestic animal. But good question, I've always wondered about the omega 3's in wild meat. I think it's a good balance as long as the animal has been eating the food they're supposed to. You wouldn't want to eat a "wild" pigeon from NYC...
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

robmedina is offline Member
    Hmm wild pigeon...yeah, I am sure it is an aquired taste, LOL!
    So this would go alot further then just humans eating what they are supposed to and go all the way down to our food eating what they are supposed to. Damn, I can afford grass fed beef!

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I love wild pigeon - best braised with a pigs trotter (foot) for the gelatin - and the pigeon carcasses make the best ever stock.

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    Hmm wild pigeon...yeah, I am sure it is an aquired taste, LOL!
    So this would go alot further then just humans eating what they are supposed to and go all the way down to our food eating what they are supposed to. Damn, I can afford grass fed beef!
    Don't stress it. I can't afford grass-fed/pastured either. Besides, beef is the meat lowest in PUFA's. Even though the omega ratio is way off, it's easily fixed by eating fish or taking fish oil.

AntonG is offline Senior Member
    grass fed tastes so much better. i wish i could afford to eat it every single time, instead its more like 50/50. try looking for cheaper cuts of grass fed. at whole foods ive been buying grass fed ground beef for 5.99-6.99 and sirloin tip instead of sirloin for 6.99.

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    There is hardly any omega 3 in beef. In 3 ounces there is .002 g even though grass fed beef is said to have "Up too 10 times more omega 3!!!" 10x .002 = .02g or still nothing. Also, what people forget is that there is double the amount of omega 6 in grass fed beef.

FDgreen is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AntonG View Post
    grass fed tastes so much better. i wish i could afford to eat it every single time, instead its more like 50/50. try looking for cheaper cuts of grass fed. at whole foods ive been buying grass fed ground beef for 5.99-6.99 and sirloin tip instead of sirloin for 6.99.
    I actually think grain fed beef tastes A LOT better than grassfed. Is is much much juicier and more flavorful in my opinion. That goes for steaks and ground beef.

Therefore I don't break the bank on grassfed, and buy "natural" grainfed (without hormones/antibiotics). Cheap and tastes great.

Quote Originally Posted by FDgreen View Post
    I actually think grain fed beef tastes A LOT better than grassfed. Is is much much juicier and more flavorful in my opinion. That goes for steaks and ground beef.

Therefore I don't break the bank on grassfed, and buy "natural" grainfed (without hormones/antibiotics). Cheap and tastes great.
    I agree with everything you said.

Ollie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This is the trouble I find with almost all omega 3 discussions is the underlining message that its near on impossible to get sufficient omega 3 from diet alone. Guess supplements are vital then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast