Thread: Meat fat + texture issues page

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member

Meat fat + texture issues

Primal Fuel
    I love meat. Love it. Beef, pork, fish, yardbird, whatever.

I cannot handle the taste/texture of fat. Like that 'crust' of fat around a really good streak? Makes me cringe.

Anyone have this lil' problem and get over it? I'm trying valiantly, but the smooth texture in my mouth is gag-tastic.

I have no problem with other fats...butter, cream, coconut oils. Just animal fat.

Thanks!
    Chief cook & bottle washer for one kid, a dog, 6 hens, 2 surprise! roosters, two horses, and a random 'herd' of quail.

~The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something one knows nothing about and refuses to investigate~

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member
    I think you can safely cut off that fat if it's a problem for you. There's still a good amount of intramuscular fat in good, marbled meat.

fyrespryte is offline Senior Member
    I have that same problem. Mostly, I give it to my SO cause he's all about it. I cook other things, like ribs, in my slow cooker. The longer you cook it, the less...I dunno, firm? It is. It just kind of melts.

Pinkskyy is offline Junior Member
    I am the same way!

I just buy leaner cuts, and add butter to it--yum

But I like pulled pork bc the fat is melted in

Ahaetulla is offline Member
    Hey I'm the same way... but on the other hand... bacon fat... mmmmmmmmmmm i could eat it all day long
    View all problems as challenges. Look upon negativities that arise as opportunities to learn and to grow. Don't run from them, condemn yourself, or bury your burden in saintly silence. You have a problem? Great. More grist for the mill. Rejoice, dive in, and investigate.
    - Bhante Henepola Gunaratana

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    I have always been the same way, but I found that changing my mental approach to the fat has made it easier to chew and get down. For me, it was to approach with the mindset that it was rude to throw away a perfectly good part of an animal that had been killed for my consumption just because I found the texture icky. I have not yet been able to apply that mindset to organ meats, but it is helping me slowly learn to appreciate and be able to eat the fat. I was so proud of myself when I got that first fatty bite down without gagging! I find it much easier to eat the fat of pasture raised animals as well, but that goes for the lean bits also.

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkskyy View Post
    I am the same way!

I just buy leaner cuts, and add butter to it--yum

But I like pulled pork bc the fat is melted in
    Exactly! Pulled pork is my mainstay. I think I might be able to live solely on the stuff.

The butter idea...I do that with steaks...mmmmm, never thought about it with other meats though. Good call!
    Chief cook & bottle washer for one kid, a dog, 6 hens, 2 surprise! roosters, two horses, and a random 'herd' of quail.

~The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something one knows nothing about and refuses to investigate~

SheGlowsPale is offline Senior Member
    Im the same way..if its marbled in thats fine (bacon, pulled pork, corned beef) but if its a big hunk of fat arounds the edge of a meat like steak or pork I just cant eat it. I really believe I get enough fat in without it honestly.
    The pain of discipline or the pain of regret? You choose.

Oh look - I made a Journal.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eklecktika View Post
    Like that 'crust' of fat around a really good streak? Makes me cringe.
    or throw up. i don't eat it. Wild animals are rarely as fatty anyway as 'conventional' meat - save arctic marine mammals - and evolution of the human genome did not occur there so I'm not terribly worried.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order