Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night time cramps in legs page

Gatherer is offline Junior Member

Night time cramps in legs

Hi everyone I am a newbie to the Paleo diet and need some advice. I used to get painful Charlie horses in my legs during my sleep. I am taking magnesium for this and haven't had the problem in quite a while now. Now that I have eliminated the grains and eating more meat, they are back again even though I am still taking the magnesium. I found in the past that when I ate too much meat that's when they would occur. Anyone have any advice? Thanks!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    For me it is either vitamin B or Magnesium. If I do not take multivitamin that includes the former or Magnesium I get cramps during the night or when I am working out.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

DFord is offline Member
    For me I used to get these too. Magnesium, potassium and staying properly hydrated helped.

Hannakb is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried taking the magnesium transdermally?
    Epsom salt baths or magnesium oil?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    I got these shortly after transitioning to Primal, but they went away after a few weeks. Seems like it's usually a mineral deficiency (Mg)

Gatherer is offline Junior Member
    I know it's a deficiency, I seem to only get them when I have had too many meat meals. The pills were helping before but not now.I am hesitant to eat too much meat. I do rotate what I eat and I try and get the best I can. I don't want to go back to eating grains again. Maybe I will try to eat more fish and chicken and see what happens. I will also try to drink more water

catgirl320 is online now Senior Member
    I used to get them a lot too. For me, it happened a lot with hormonal fluctuations. Now the only time is when I am dehydrated, and I am eating a lot more protein now. My grandmother swore by a ts of baking powder in water for Charley horses and it does seem to help.

earthlymumma is offline Senior Member
    Are you getting enough calcium? The meat increase probably has upped your phosphorus intake, and calcium should be balanced with that in the right ratio.
    Otherwise, potassium, sodium, chloride (and of course mag!) Need to be sufficient as well.
    And taurine apparently helps with cramps too.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Yep. Sounds like a mag deficiency. For many people, oral forms of magnesium are poorly absorbed and simply comes out the other end. Thus, I recommend trying topical formulations of magnesium for transdermal absorption before you give up on it.

Try spraying magnesium chloride oil (you can typically buy it at a health store) all over your body (especially where you have the pain the worst) and rub it in.

It may may make your skin burn or tingle or itch the first few times you do it, but this is just a sign that your body needs the magnesium. After a few days, this will subside and you will have significant relief in muscle issues, especially at night.

For more info if you have a few minutes:

Magnesium Oil Therapy - Mark Sircus, Ac., OMD - YouTube
    Methods of Magnesium Administration - YouTube
    Magnesium - Oral vs. Transdermal Administration of Magnesium - YouTube
    Why Magnesium Chloride? - YouTube
    Last edited by Drumroll; 03-05-2014 at 02:52 AM.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by earthlymumma View Post
    Are you getting enough calcium? The meat increase probably has upped your phosphorus intake, and calcium should be balanced with that in the right ratio.
    Otherwise, potassium, sodium, chloride (and of course mag!) Need to be sufficient as well.
    And taurine apparently helps with cramps too.
    Actually, magnesium, vitamin D, and boron all increase bodily utilization of calcium. If you're getting enough of these in your diet, it is highly unlikely that you need more calcium than what the diet provides already.

Also, get your whole Brisling sardines several times a week. Get vitamin D, magnesium, AND a highly absorbable form of calcium from eating the bones.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast