Thread: Rapid cut for a contest? page

Dickson is offline Senior Member

Rapid cut for a contest?

The Gym
    So I've been inactive from the forums for a few weeks, but I've been having GREAT primal success during that time. I joined a "Six Week Body Transformation Challenge" at a local strength/crossfit gym, where whoever lost the most weight/inches/BF will win $250. I joined it thinking it would be somewhat strength based and crossfit style (lifting and pullups and stuff).

I got to day one of the class and I was the only guy out of about 10 women. Turned out it wasn't strength based-- we just did 45 minutes of bodyweight exercises "bootcamp style". One minute of burpees immediately followed by a minute of pushups and then a minute of jump squats, 3x. As I laid in my pathetic pile of sweat and pain at the end of it from working harder than I had in years, I was upset. "This isn't training!" I thought to myself. "I joined the ladies class, and now I'm the joke of the gym!" I resolved that I was going to go home and write the owner a letter that I would quit.

I thought long and hard about it, though, and realized that this would just be another failed attempt at improving myself. Besides, I could use the improvements in conditioning if nothing else. So I decided to stick with it. But I decided that if I was going to do it, I was going to win it at any costs!

The Diet
    For the past six weeks, I did a diet overhaul and decided to go truly full blown paleo for the first time. I had always done it, but either quit after a few days or added a bunch of carbs or beer. I also had more money than I used to, so rather than eating $3.99 steaks I bought all grass fed products.

The Results
    To date, I've lost nearly 18lbs in the past 5 weeks (down 243 to 225lbs, was 30% BF but not sure now) and about 5 inches from my waist (44 inches to 39 inches). I am clearly going to win the contest, as most of the ladies have been struggling with putting down the pizza rolls . Additionally, I can now do 18 burpees a minute and my strength has strangely peaked-- I pulled 285lbsx3 for an unbelted PR on my off day.

The Question
    Now I am 8 days out (weigh in is next Wednesday), and I want to finish as strong as possible. I know crash diets are frowned upon, but it is only for a week or so and I can go back to traditional primal till I reach my pre-summer goal of 210lbs and sub 16% body fat.

My plans to get the best finish possible for my weigh in (and "after" photo):

1) Do a protein fast where I drink 4x25g protein shakes throughout the day and then eat a low carb dinner of around 1000 calories.
    2) Follow the "Rapid Fat Loss" strategy where I eat 10 fish oil pills and 115gs of protein from steamed chicken and broccoli at around 800 calories a day.
    3) Don't worry about protein and just keep calories low
    4) See if I can fast the whole 7 days
    or
    5) don't be an idiot and just keep doing what I have been doing.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks,

Dickson.

Eureka5280 is online now Senior Member
    I don't have any particular advice to offer you, other than to be ready for a lot of complaining when you win. "Men have it so easy." "A woman's metabolism just starts to slow down in their 30's." "You must just be the type that loses weight effortlessly."

I assure you, it will have nothing to do with your discipline and effort (or the pizza rolls they've been eating) in their minds. It will be unfair, and it will be YOUR fault.

Good luck with that

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Steak and Eggs! Evidently that's the best short-term cutting diet. There's a thread on it right now.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Option 5, then fast for a day prior to the weigh-in. Alternatively, do 7 days of X-lean boiled absolutely no fat tuna, egg whites or turkey (3x6-8 oz) with unlimited amount of greens and plenty of dandelion tea.

If the workout is challenging and helps you accomplish your goals, you are doing the right thing, no matter who's in class with you.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Eureka5280 View Post
    I don't have any particular advice to offer you, other than to be ready for a lot of complaining when you win. "Men have it so easy." "A woman's metabolism just starts to slow down in their 30's." "You must just be the type that loses weight effortlessly."

I assure you, it will have nothing to do with your discipline and effort (or the pizza rolls they've been eating) in their minds. It will be unfair, and it will be YOUR fault.

Good luck with that
    Hah, I've already started to hear it! And I knew I had a huge advantage-- a couple of the girls were teenagers in pretty good shape already so they couldn't improve much, and the rest didn't have the discipline to do it. I'm a 24 year old guy with a gut that I knew I could lose pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    Steak and Eggs! Evidently that's the best short-term cutting diet. There's a thread on it right now.
    I've thought about Steak and Eggs, but despite the miracles of ketosis I worry that it is too many calories short term? Like it or not, CICO is still powerful, especially combined with low carb. It won't be a fun week, to say the least...

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Good job man! Yeah, I'd just keep on with what you are doing. Do not neglect the protein! Of all your options....that is not one. Keep the portions reasonable....stop at 80% full and all that good stuff.

Option two is probably meat and eggs. The only thing bout that is if you have not been keto up till now doing so in the very last week will likely hurt your performance a bit if you are not acclimated. It takes a couple weeks usually to get use to training at a high level while doing zero (for all intensive purposes) carb. Probably not worth starting that now if you are pretty much a lock anyhow

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Good job man! Yeah, I'd just keep on with what you are doing. Do not neglect the protein! Of all your options....that is not one. Keep the portions reasonable....stop at 80% full and all that good stuff.

Option two is probably meat and eggs. The only thing bout that is if you have not been keto up till now doing so in the very last week will likely hurt your performance a bit if you are not acclimated. It takes a couple weeks usually to get use to training at a high level while doing zero (for all intensive purposes) carb. Probably not worth starting that now if you are pretty much a lock anyhow
    Thanks Neckhammer! And I've actually been in ketosis for most of the time (I think), with most of my calories coming from animal fat and coconut oil. My only carbs were a handful of frozen berries in my post workout smoothie. My protein may have been a bit too high to be in ketosis as I've taken in about 75g-100g of clean ON whey protein, but carbs were fairly minimal.

sjoshua is offline Senior Member
    Maybe a fun experiment would be do the last week on all whole foods. Ditch the whey and supplements, and try to eat your way to health, naturally. wild fish, grass fed beef/lamb, pastured pork and eggs... mmm all the things we are supposed to eat!

But a good mindset to consider is you've already locked in the victory, why burn yourself out more than you need to in the last week? Consistent and gradual is really ideal, especially if you want to keep the losing trend going after the contest (sounds like you have summer time goals).

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Fish and water! OK, a little green vegetables as well, but no eggs, especially not the last two days...
    Being just an old fashioned guy myself; I’m beyond tired of all these fragile mama boys (and girls!) with powder in their gluteus and soft pillows under their arm pits that cannot recover from their 3 days a week abbreviated “strength” routine…