Thread: Are Parsnips primal??? I don't get it! page

Lektar is offline Junior Member

Are Parsnips primal??? I don't get it!

I love parsnips, but what I don't get is why they are allowed. They are high in carbs aren't they?? Sweet and tasty, but surely cannot be a regular substitute for Potato?

TriCiCi is offline Senior Member
    It's not all about how many carbs, but the source of said carbs. If you are Primal for weightloss, you might want to keep your carbs under 50g a day, and large quantities of parsnips aren't going ot help you there. But in moderation they are fine and don't have the lectins and antinutrients found in potatoes. I also love parsnips.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Carbs aren't so black and white from the perspective of the community as a whole. Mark's suggested upper limit for people without insulin resistance problems or people who aren't looking to lose weight is 150g a day. And 150g a day or even 100g makes room for a good hefty dose of parsnips. They're not THAT high carb. And even stuff that is like yams are still allowed provided someone is a good candidate for carbs.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member
    Starch isn't bad. Too much starch is bad. Not everybody can eat like a Kitavan, but each parsnip at 27g CHO, 6 of which are indigestible fiber, isn't exactly going to break the bank. Just go easy on them.
    Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    They're fine.

In fact thanks for reminding me. I love parsnips but totally forgot about them.

I swear, my mind goes blank when I go grocery shopping...
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Lektar is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks guys I understand that parsnips have some good nutritional things in them, I read the smart fuel blog, but they must have the same insulin response as potatos, or very similar.....

I will still eat them, just don't want falsely believe that they are a low insulin response substitute for potato!!
    Last edited by Lektar; 06-24-2010 at 01:02 AM.