Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Green Smoothies okay? page

TinaC is offline Senior Member

Are Green Smoothies okay?

Primal Fuel
    I am just starting this lifestyle, in fact, today is my first day. Since March I have been drinking green smoothies every day. I use one cup of blueberries, one cup of strawberries, several cups of either spinach, kale, swiss chard, beet greens or escarole plus two cups of water. Occasionally I will use coconut water instead of plain water. Sometimes I add some chia seed or coconut flakes to the smoothie.

Is it okay to keep up this practice? I do not consume any other fruit, so the two cups would be my fruit servings for the day which is okay since I have a lot of weight to lose and want to limit the sugar intake.

Thanks,
    Tina

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Only if you add raw meat.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    If you have a lot of weight to lose and you want to lose it at a reasonably fast rate, you really might want to consider drastically reducing your fruit intake. Especially considering you're likely insulin/leptin resistant. We're talking maybe 1/4 cup a day max, especially if you plan to eat tons of veggies. Many people do well completely eliminating fruit while attempting weight loss.

Primal is offline Senior Member
    Agreed. Two cups of berries is a lot of sugar.

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member
    Additionally, you should be aware that raw cruciferous vegetables (such as kale) contain a number of goitrogens which are more or less eliminated by cooking them. I wouldn't recommend daily intake of raw cruciferous veggies.

I wouldn't be too worried about the fruit. A cup of blueberries and a cup of strawberries comes to ~30g carb, about half of which is fructose. That's a perfectly safe intake.
    Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    MG, do you recommend cooking cabbage?

TinaC, if it were me, I would not have that much fruit in one sitting. As someone that started this with wonky blood sugars, 2 cups of fruit, even berries would cause me to be hungry in about 1-2 hours after consuming, especially if this is breakfast. I now only have fruit at the end of lunch or dinner after consuming a descent meal with meat and fat and veggies. And, while I'm in weight loss mode, I would have a small portion.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Where's Darth to tell you to add some potatoes to it?

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member
    I would only eat it uncooked if it were fermented, which also decreases goitrogen content, or if the dish looked really delicious. A little bit here and there won't kill you, I just wouldn't make a habit of it.
    Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

TinaC is offline Senior Member
    I will be cutting out the smoothies then. I have an enlarged thyroid and don't want to make it worse. Thanks for the replies.

Ronstar is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    A little avocado should counteract any goitrogens by having the reverse effect on the thyroid. Saturated fat does this also. From wikipedia.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast