Thread: Is my body this smart? page

mdlaw is offline Senior Member

Is my body this smart?

I returned to the gym this past week after a few weeks off due to a tough schedule, and I returned doing more frequent excercises than before, from 3 all body sets to failure once a week, to the same over the weekend and again yesterday. In other words, yesterday was my first time working out twice in the same week in ages, and I've been ravenously hungry. Is this my body telling me it wants to build muscle?

I ate a huge meal a few hours before lifting yesterday: a full pound of gf ground beef cooked in butter, with a full onion, a good amount of mirepoix (minced onion, carrot, and celery), a splash of broth, and at least a cup of sour cream, with over a cup of green beans sauted with butter, evoo, and garlic on the side. Had an apple on the way to work today, and then had an early lunch while watching the world cup (go usa!). Even upon waking up I was hungry, which I never am eating primally. For lunch I had an Irish beef stew, with beef, carrots, onions, celery, stock, etc. It did have potatoes and was served in a bread bowl, but I ate only a few bites of each of those. Now it's less than four hours later and I'm stomach growlingly hungry again (I was stuffed after that lunch). Long story short, is my body responding so soon to my increased activity level, and does this hunger mean that I'm eating for muscle gain right now? I might have to stop for some jerky on the way home for a pre dinner snack!

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    I feel like this all the time. I do not remember the last time I did not feel hungry unless I had literally just eaten.

I don't know what it is, really, but it mainly started when I got really big into crossfit.

I am -ALWAYS- hungry.

ALWAYS.

edit: I wish I was joking, but I'm serious. It actually kind of sucks being hungry all the time, and upping my fat intake hasn't really helped a whole lot.

AntonG is offline Senior Member
    you are probably an ectomorph like myself, our metabolism is extremely fast and it blows through food no matter how much you eat. we even burn an insane amount of calories just sleeping, which makes it very difficult to gain weight. i feel like my body type slightly changed over the years because i carry a lot more muscle than i ever looked like i could gain. bottom line its the metabolism. or a tape worm. lol

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AntonG View Post
    you are probably an ectomorph like myself, our metabolism is extremely fast and it blows through food no matter how much you eat. we even burn an insane amount of calories just sleeping, which makes it very difficult to gain weight. i feel like my body type slightly changed over the years because i carry a lot more muscle than i ever looked like i could gain. bottom line its the metabolism. or a tape worm. lol
    Haha well I would like to think it's my metabolism, but just under two years ago I was a fatty fat fat mcfat fat who weighted 300lbs, and now I weigh about 160 but very actively crossfitting. Is it possible for a metabolism to speed up that much?

mdlaw is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am eating 8 pieces of bacon as a pre dinner snack as we speak. I guess what I am wondering is whether increased heavy lifting and the subsequent demands on muscle building are enough to increase my hunger this much over my normal sedentary but primal baseline. It's kind of shocking to me, but I like the idea that I'm eating to get stronger.