Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too many nuts and seeds? page

Rhondalee is offline Junior Member

Question Too many nuts and seeds?

Shop Now
    I am really trying to improve the health of myself and my husband (56 and 58). I have always been aware of what I thought was 'good nutrition', which is now apparently a fallacy!
    I have been trying to adopt a Primal/Paleo approach to eating but I think I am now aggravating my digestive system!
    I have a nut seed mix for breakfast with frozen blueberries and chopped banana with homemade almond milk. Apparently this is no good me as I am getting a lot of gastrointestinal irritation and feel uncomfortable in the mornings until 2 or 3 trips to the WC.
    I need to have a quick breakfast but this is my main meal for the day.
    I have made arrowroot flour bread but apparently this has way too many carbs in it......if I make almond flour and almond milk I will get too much phytic acid!
    Can't have dairy because of the lactose! (I still have haloumi, fetta and blue cheese occasionally ! )
    I am at a loss as to what I can and can't eat!! I have read so many different websites I am starting to think I should try to survive on filtered water!!
    Any suggestions? (Be nice please )

blondiegreen is offline Senior Member
    Eggs, sweet potato hash, leftovers, bacon, sausage etc. You can eat anything, really. Get rid of the concept of breakfast foods - cereal, toast, bagels etc

Too many nuts & seeds are not good especially if trying to lose weight.

I don't really eat food until at least 10am. My gut just isn't ready for it.
    Last edited by blondiegreen; 03-03-2014 at 09:18 PM.
    Needing some accountability, so here's my stats:
    34yrs old, 5'5"
    CW: 163lbs (07/2014)
    GW: 135lbs or less
    Eating mainly paleo, but including a bit of white rice (don't call the Paleo Police!)

TQP
    TQP is offline Senior Member
    Instead of trying to make "bread" or a faux "cereal/granola" for breakfast...or basically trying to find paleo substitutes for your past standbys (pasta, bread, baked goods, cereal, tortilla, etc.)... you should try to focus on starting anew on your concept of food. (basically what Blondiegreen said).

Eat: meat, eggs, fruits, tubers, seafood, some veggies if you like them. Cook with coconut oil/ghee/butter. Rinse and repeat. Don't make it hard on yourself and overthink everything.

Nuts aren't that great for you anyway (omega-6 content; toxins, etc.) so just stick to the simple stuff like those listed above.

miata is offline Senior Member
    Eggs, eggs eggs. Super healthy, yummy, quick and easy. Super fast soft boiled or over easy eggs. You can do hard boiled ahead of time for a grab and go treat.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Hannakb is offline Senior Member
    I make a crustless quiche. I don't re heat, I just eat it cold.
    Easy and lasts the week in the fridge.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

RittenRemedy is online now Senior Member
    Nuts aggravate my gut as well, and trying to paleoify SAD foods usually just ends up, well, sad. For breakfast I have homemade strained yogurt (if you incubate the yogurt for 24 hours, it will have only very minimal traces of lactose--search SCD yogurt), eggs, fruit, or leftovers. Sometimes I'll make gluten free things, but it's a treat, not a staple.

You could also try quality sausages, puréed squash or cauliflower (coconut milk + cinnamon ends up like rice pudding mmm), quinoa, thin cutlets of meat, the crustless quiche/frittata, reheated sweet potatoes with toppings, potato cakes (1 egg/smallish potato), smoked salmon, or skip to brunch and have a salad, lettuce wrap, soup, or whatever.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    I eat two eggs for breakfast on a daily basis. Eggs cook up quickly in the pan, an even quicker in those microwave poachers. You can also hard boil a couple dozen over the weekend, so you have a supply during the week. I sometimes eat a banana or orange with breakfast too, if I'm hungry. On weekends when I have time I will do bacon. If you can't do dairy due to lactose, try aged cheeses such as Swiss and aged cheddar. They have next to no lactose. Nor does feta (sheep) or goat's cheese.

I do not eat nuts or seeds, ever. You don't have to in order to follow Primal Blueprint. Well I am allergic to tree nuts, peanuts and sesame seeds. But I don't touch flax seeds or anything. For the nuts I have a mild food allergy, so before I found out I would eat them and have gastro-intestinal pain, as you described. You might be allergic to nuts; it's one of the most common allergies.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Rhondalee is offline Junior Member
    Thank you everybody....I really do appreciate the help

cpmodem is offline Junior Member
    I usually have eggs, veggies, and bacon or sausage but once in awhile, I make a porridge of coconut milk, chia, flax, and hemp seeds. Highly nutritious and satisfying for many hours. A bonus is it has no effect on my blood glucose level, so I don't need to take an insulin bolus with it. If you want a super energy boost add some mct oil.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

jonibenj is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Good ole' bacon and eggs makes a great breakfast, and is highly Primal! Also, be like the Australian cattle rustlers in the outback, and try steak and eggs. You probably won't need anything else to eat until the evening! (that is precisely why they did it - they didn't come home to eat until night time).

You may guess I'm a little pro-Aussie - born and raised there

Jonathan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast