Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What will the "Paleo" diet look like in 5 years? page

bob loblaw is offline Senior Member

What will the "Paleo" diet look like in 5 years?

Shop Now
    So, we've seen a rather sudden change in the Paleo community over the last couple years. Things that were once considered taboo (i.e. rice, white potato, beans) are now being happily assimilated by many.

My question is, what will Paleo look like in 5 years? Will be eating wheat, provided it's soaked or sprouted? Will processed sugar be okay, as long as it's refined? Hell, will Canola oil be the oil of choice?

I see 3 major changes happening over the next 5 years, realistically:

1. Ancient Grains will be more accepted. I see many people using ancient strains of wheat happily.

2. Beans and nuts will be much more readily accepted, even a core part of the diet. While nuts already are for many, beans are just now getting acceptance. The reality is that both beans and nuts correlate (yes, I said that word) with health consistently and, more importantly, lack negative correlations consistently. I think people will realize that lectins and phytates cannot be treated in a vacuum, that as part of a whole food they will be okay for many. (Of course those with sensitivities will continue to avoid.)

3. The scene will be much smaller. IMO, the "diet" is at or near peak and most of the casual followers will fall off, just like any diet. In fact, the term "Paleo" will very likely have a negative connotation by that point.

Just my thoughts. Myself, my main "Paleo Code" is what to avoid. IMO, avoiding refined seed oils and processed modern wheat and sugar is a giant reason why so many "healthy" diets work great. Just avoiding those things has tremendous effects and I hope to continue avoiding them for the rest of my life. (Oh, and be active every day, but that's not really a "Paleo" tenet, it's just common sense.

What do you think Paleo will be in 5 years?

SJW2 is offline Member
    I think there has been some moderation in the Paleo approach due to an overly strict and dogmatic approach. That said, I think a conservative approach was very warranted. People are trying to widen the umbrella rather than narrow it.

As some are prone to say, there is no ONE Paleo Diet. It's more about what the diet is NOT, IMO, and it sounds like yours as well.

Grains, excessive omega-6s from seed oils and animals fed grain-based diets, added sugars in the diet. These seem to be the biggest things we have learned to avoid. These are things we know that the Paleo Diet never was. Precise macronutrient ratios and the like had a lot of variability.

I think nuts have always been accepted in the Paleo world with some making specific caveats about them. Personally, I think the NO-NOs will stay basically the same. More acceptance of properly prepared beans and ancient grains may occur. I, however, think that will be on the periphery. Those foods are just too much trouble to eat properly. There are much healthier foods out there that are easier to deal with. I think it will just make Paleo more inclusive to have a more nuanced stance on those things.

So in summary, I think the "Paleo Diet" will stay roughly the same. However, I think we'll see more nuanced understandings of certain foods and their dangers. I think the real development will be in better matching the diet for specific individual needs. For example, some need a VLC approach, while others do better on a moderate approach. Etc...

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I think in the future a great many people will honestly do an n=1 test on things like gluten grains, nightshades, legumes, soy, corn, dairy, eggs, and other common foods that many are intolerant to. They will find their quality of living improves greatly when not eating stuff that is hurting them. It will be more common to give up foods that is making you sick rather than living with pain, suffering, and debilitating illness because you want to fit in with other people who eat unquestioned garbage diets.

In particular there will be a lot more people out there in the general population finding that gluten is toxic to their bodies as more people try gluten-free diets or become diagnosed.

I think there will be a lot more research out there on various things like the "ancient grains", fermented and/or sprouted, that so many people assume are gluten-safe with zero real data to support that assumption. I'm sorry, if you can't find me a single assay on the food itself as it is commonly purchased and prepared, there is no reason for me to assume that the gluten has magically been made safe for me to consume.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    I see naturally fermented foods growing in emphasis. There is so much cool science happening these days on the link between gut flora health and overall physical and mental health, that it is hard to imagine that this will not continue to grow.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Hopefully, all the books, forums, gurus and templates will completely fade away into obscurity and it will be replaced with the simple concept of eating only whole foods and eliminating processed foods from the diet. Right now, you have people scared of perfectly healthy foods like fruits, potatoes and properly prepared legumes and drinking buttered coffee and eating virgin coconut oil like it's somehow healthy, and there is a complete overemphasis on dietary fat and muscle meats with not enough focus on fruits, starches and gelatinous protein sources and dairy. Let's put all that minutia away and embrace eating whole, natural foods and eliminating the boxes, bags and jars.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

aknomad is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    I see naturally fermented foods growing in emphasis. There is so much cool science happening these days on the link between gut flora health and overall physical and mental health, that it is hard to imagine that this will not continue to grow.
    This, for sure. I also think there will be a larger pull away from VLC (very low carb). In my opinion, so many people want to lose weight fast and VLC is the solution. Short term? Not so bad. Long term? Probably not so good.

I hope in 5 years, paleo/primal eating is a better version of what it is now: organic, grass fed meat, veggies, fruit, nuts, seeds, berries, starches and a little good ol fashion goat cheese somewhere in there.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    We're going back to the ice age. Keto paleo round 2 baby!

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    the simple concept of eating only whole foods and eliminating processed foods from the diet.

This is what I think any diet should be. I hope this is what it becomes.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I think you have nailed it when you put down your last paragraph: individual code/choice. It is inevitable, that as the time progress, we will see more and more (conflicting) information and theories and WOE. ... But I am all for just avoiding processed foods. Though, who knows where 'whole' stops and 'processed' begins.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Waterlily is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    ...eliminating the boxes, bags and jars.
    It would be awesome if the majority followed just that.
    Paleo since April 2013 for health reasons.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast