Thread: Let's talk about tripe, baby page

janeen is offline Senior Member

Let's talk about tripe, baby

So, I've been on a quest to increase my (and my family's) consumption of organ meats.

I've successfully incorporated liver on a regular basis -- I hide beef liver in ground meat all the time, and I've made chicken liver pate that everyone is willing to eat. I even like it. I may try some kind of rumaki next.

My latest project is tongue. I have it pickling right now, to turn it into corned beef. I'm pretty excited to try it.

I'm thinking maybe tripe next. I've never had menudo, but dh doesn't like it. (The spices, maybe?). I had a fabulous tripe soup/stew in Aruba once that was delish, but I have no clue what was in it.

Anyone here use tripe? Favorite ways to prepare?

Thanks!
    Janeen

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I've had it in pho a couple times. It's pretty good. I cooked it plain one time too, just boiled it. It was alright, but nothing special.

Ooh, pho. That could work -- slice it thin, like noodles?
    Janeen

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I had tripe soup in Romania, and it was out of the world. Basically, it is cabbage based and is eaten with a hot pepper on the side. Awesome.

With tongue, I just slow cook it and serve cold with horse-radish and mustard or green peas as the side. Just like back when I was a kid. Yum.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    For tripe, I found that boiling it in several changes of water made a huge difference in neutralizing the flavor. My favorite way to serve it was cooking the part-boiled tripe together with beef cheeks.

Oh, good to know. I didn't realize it had a strong flavor. I'll definitely want to deal with that.
    Janeen

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Tripe is consumed a lot in some cuisines of the Mediterranean and the Middle East. It's not my cup of tea, but I know they make tripe soup and use a lot of mashed garlic, vinegar and paprika to offset the strong flavor of the tripe. It's said to be really good made that way. There have to be some good tripe soup recipes online.