Thread: March is the Month that Martha becomes Marvellous! page

marthat is offline Senior Member

March is the Month that Martha becomes Marvellous!

Shop Now
    OK, so this winter (the winter from hell that never stops, -25C this morning and it's flippin' March already!!) has been hard and my weight is at the very top of where I can comfortably live. I have gained about 15 lbs since my son's wedding last June, mostly over the winter. I weigh 156 this morning and I feel THICK!! I'm 5'6" tall and fineboned, so it's way overweight for me. And in winter, I become a lump, so no significant exercise.

On the up side, I have spent the fall and winter visiting the chiropractor and I have 90% recovered from hip and shoulder pain and 100% recovered from the chronic tendonitis that has plagued me over the past year and a half, so I feel ready for some exercise.

I love March - it feels like a month of transition. Traditionally I can get energized and make things happen in March, so I'm capitalizing on that energy to get my ass off the couch and get my body back to a place where I am happier. So I have big plans for March. Luckily, I don't have alot of other plans for the month. No travel, minimal entertaining.

So here's the goals and plans:

Goal is to lose 10 lbs in the month of March. Will start with a 4 day potato hack, starting tomorrow (need to grocery shop). Non-potato days will be moderate carb Primal. Minimal dairy, no grains other than the occasional bit of rice in sushi.

Exercise: Back on the treadmill for a mile a night. Work up to running the whole mile. One sprint workout per week on the treadmill. And I'm going to try a Tabata workout at a local fitness studio for the next 2 Fridays (since my usual Friday commitment is not running for these 2 weeks). And I'm going to start the 100 pushups program, using (I hope) knee pushups. Depends if my wrist and shoulder can take it.

I'll journal here just to keep myself accountable. Doesn't really matter if anyone reads it - it's for me. But if anyone is inspired to join in (even if your name doesn't alliterate so perfectly with March LOL), you are welcome.

So, here goes! March is the Month when Martha is going to become Marvellous!

Johnnielow is offline Member
    I'll join in and follow along!
    Throwing out Conventional Wisdom!

SW on 3/1/2014 - 280.4
    CW on 3/7/2014 - 268.2
    GW - 230

My journal, stop by and check it out - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread103008.html

Hey, how cool is that? I just now finished reading your journal. And was rooting for you and your lovely (talented) Mexican wife...

So, Day 1 was a decent food day, a non-starter re exercise.
    B: 1 slice GF toast with peanut butter and a very ripe banana (OK, not primal, but using up food that needed to be used up). Black coffee.
    a.m. Coffee, a few macademia nuts.
    L: Leftover round steak and tomatoes, with two slices of potato (all that was left). Grapes and two dates (more leftovers)
    p.m. Latte, no sugar or sweetener.
    S: Came home late after grocery shopping, famished. Ate a few potato chips while supper cooked. Then baked salmon and peas/corn with butter.
    eve: cup of hot water.

Today starts the Primal Potato Hack. From experience, if I stick to this at least until supper, then one small meal with hubby, I can lose weight easily.

I printed out the Hundredpushup program onto a PocketMod, so I'm ready to go for that. Will do the initial test to failure today. Could be VERY short - I'm expecting failure to be at less than 5 knee pushups after such an extended period of damaged wrist and shoulder...

Weight this morning was 154.5, down 1.5 lbs of bloat from the weekend. Good start...

PrimalCon New York
    I've done nothing but potatoes for the last 3 days. Today is Day 4, the last day for this week. I'll eat moderately over the weekend and maybe do some potato days again next week. This morning, I weighed 150.5 lbs, down 5.5 lbs after 4 days of effort, three of them as potato days.

Sample potato day:
    B: One large potato, grated while raw, cooked in a frying pan in 1 tsp ghee with fresh thyme or rosemary leaves. One big patty, cut into quarters and eaten like pizza - yummy. Black coffee.
    a.m.: black coffee, possibly a cold cooked potato chunk, maybe 1/4 of a potato.
    L: Mashed potatos,cooled and reheated, with beef broth mixed in to make them creamy. Tea.
    p.m. Possibly 1/4 to 1/2 potato of cold cooked chunks. Maybe a black coffee if I'm out.
    Later p.m. One large potato made into microwave potato chips using my Topchip chip-maker.
    S: Either another fried grated potato pattie or baked mini potatoes or mashed. Whatever goes with hubby's meal.
    eve: tea

And the weight has been dropping off every day. I haven't seen 150.5 yet in 2014!

Got up early one day and ran/walked 2 miles on the treadmill. Felt pretty good.