Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D - Is there cause for concern? page

Cruscone is offline Junior Member

Vitamin D - Is there cause for concern?

Primal Fuel
    I read this post at Dr. Davis' Heart Scan blog:
    http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/20...vitamin-d.html

The post and comments were interesting. Then there's this link in the comments:
    http://ctheblog.cforyourself.com/200...e-effects.html

I currently am at 53 for my D level. I take 6,000 IUs daily to try and get my level to 70.
    Is there cause for concern using Vitamin D supplements? I know that getting D from sunshine is the best, but should we be concerned, or is the ctheblog post overblown? I take 400 mg of magnesium orally and a magnesium oil or epsom salt bath pretty much every day. No K2, but I have some on order from Amazon.

One thing that I deal with pretty much all the time is chronic myofascial pain. I'm hoping that I'm not creating more of a problem with Vitamin D supplements with what I read in the above two links.

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by Cruscone; 06-23-2010 at 08:40 AM.

Grol is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Dr. Davis, there's probably no reason for most of us to supplement calcium.

C: The Blog was just bizarre to me. It reads like hypochondriacs R Us. But I will agree that taking a bazillion IUs of D regularly is a bad idea.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    wrt dr. Davis. This isn't a Vitamin D problem, it's a CALCIUM problem. It's the calcium that's being taken in biologically inapropriate amounts, not the D.

wrt the second, this isn't about overdosing. This is about taking biologically and physiologically appropriate doses to reach serum 25(OH)D levels that would be obtainable by sun if we lived in a climate and lived a lifestyle that allowed us to get optimal amounts of sun for our skintype, every day, to the point just before a burn would occur.

that might take 1,000 IU per day or it might take 10,000 IU per day but it's irrelevant how much as long as it's *the right amount to achieve optimal blood levels* of 25(OH)D.

see my doc below for more info on D, supplementing D and inexpensive testing options.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Ika
    Ika is offline Member

Question

I am also curious about this--I read a post on the panu forum saying that there was a post on hyperlipid about this topic. I found one where people were discussing it in the comments, but I didn't really reach any conclusions from it.

http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.c...teopaenia.html

I'm still taking 4,000iu of vit d per day, just because thus far I haven't seen any conclusive evidance that it is harmful, and lots of evidance it is helpful.

LessofMimi is offline Senior Member
    I've been supplementing 20,000 IU per day mainly to combat recurrent bronchitis/allergies, 'lung' issues. I take a BP med that makes me burn easily, so i'm careful about sun. I love it, it doesn't love me. I had to go lower on my D3 dose this week due to reduced funds and I woke up feeling some of those lung issues coming back. Even the 6000 I'm down to isn't enough. I sunbathed today, risk of burning be damned. I cannot wait until I'm off these damn meds so I can spend more time in the sun and stop taking the supplements.
    Melissa Fritcher - 330/252/150
    http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    This seems to be the point of the article:
    Until we have clarification on this issue, I have been advising patients to take no more than 600 mg calcium supplements per day. I suspect, however, that the vast majority of us require no calcium at all, provided an overall healthy diet is followed, especially one that does not leach out bone calcium. This means no foods like those made with wheat or containing powerful acids, such as those in carbonated drinks.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LessofMimi View Post
    I've been supplementing 20,000 IU per day mainly to combat recurrent bronchitis/allergies, 'lung' issues. I take a BP med that makes me burn easily, so i'm careful about sun. I love it, it doesn't love me. I had to go lower on my D3 dose this week due to reduced funds and I woke up feeling some of those lung issues coming back. Even the 6000 I'm down to isn't enough. I sunbathed today, risk of burning be damned. I cannot wait until I'm off these damn meds so I can spend more time in the sun and stop taking the supplements.
    Do you know your D levels?

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member
    WRT safety of high doses:

From www.vitaminddcouncil.org
    Cholecalciferol, Not Ergocalciferol, Is Safe

Although there are documented cases of pharmacological overdoses from ergocalciferol, the only documented case of pharmacological—not industrial—toxicity from cholecalciferol we could find in the literature was intoxication from an over-the-counter supplement called Prolongevity. Koutkia P, Chen TC, Holick MF. Vitamin D intoxication associated with an over-the-counter supplement. N Engl J Med. 2001 Jul 5;345(1):66–7. On closer inspection, it seemed more like an industrial accident but it was interesting because it gave us some idea of the safety of cholecalciferol. The capsules consumed contained up to 430 times the amount of cholecalciferol contained on the label (2,000 IU). The man had been taking between 156,000–2,604,000 IU of cholecalciferol a day (equivalent to between 390–6,500 of the 400 unit capsules) for two years. He recovered uneventfully after proper diagnosis, treatment with steroids, and sunscreen.

It is true that a few people may have problems with high calcium due to undiagnosed vitamin D hypersensitivity syndromes such as primary hyperparathyroidism, granulomatous disease, or occult cancers, but a blood calcium level, PTH, 25(OH)D, and calcitriol level should help clarify the cause of the hypersensitivity. Although D can be toxic in excess, the same can be said for water.
    Hypersensitivity, Not Toxicity

Vitamin D hypersensitivity syndromes are often mistaken for vitamin D toxicity, as they cause hypercalcemia. The most common is primary hyperparathyroidism although some cases of "primary" hyperparathyroidism are actually secondary to Vitamin D deficiency. Patients with hyperparathyroidism should only take vitamin D under the care of a knowledgeable endocrinologist. Granulomatous diseases such as sarcoidosis, granulomatous TB, and some cancers can also cause Vitamin D hypersensitivity, as the granuloma or the tumor may make excessive amounts of activated Vitamin D, thus raising serum calcium. These patients should not take vitamin D except when under the care of a knowledgeable physician.

Other syndromes occur when abnormal tissue subverts the kidney's normal regulation of endocrine calcitriol production. Aberrant tissues, usually granulomatous, convert 25(OH)D into calcitriol causing high blood calcium. The most common such conditions are sarcoidosis, oat cell carcinoma of the lung, and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma but other illnesses can cause the syndrome and they can occur while the patient's 25(OH)D levels are normal, or even low. For that reason, while rare, it is advisable to seek a knowledgeable physician's care when repleting your vitamin D system, especially if you are older, have sarcoidosis, cancer, or other granulomatous diseases.
    It seems clear that restoring physiological serum levels of 25(OH)D will help many more patients that it will hurt. In fact, living in America today while worrying about vitamin D toxicity is like dying of thirst in the desert while worrying about drowning.
    Chief cook & bottle washer for one kid, a dog, 6 hens, 2 surprise! roosters, two horses, and a random 'herd' of quail.

~The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something one knows nothing about and refuses to investigate~

LessofMimi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    Do you know your D levels?
    The last test I had done my level of D was 20 - no supplementation at that point. I see the doc today and will be asking for a followup level to be done.
    Melissa Fritcher - 330/252/150
    http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

Ika
    Ika is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Eklecktika View Post
    WRT safety of high doses:

From www.vitaminddcouncil.org
    Thank you Eklektika! That info was very helpful

PS. I'm going in on the 8th for a Dr.'s appointment and plan on getting my vitamin D level checked then. Should be interesting to see what it is!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast