Thread: Cottage pie without potato! page

Magu is offline Junior Member

Cottage pie without potato!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Made a cottage pie today without potato. Followed the following recipe that my dad told me about.

Ingredients

500g lean beef steak mince
    tbsp olive oil
    1 onion, finely chopped
    2 garlic cloves (or a squirt of garlic puree)
    400g tin of chopped tomatoes (chopped fresh tomatoes can be used instead.
    250ml of beef stock
    tbsp olive oil
    2 leeks
    1 large or 2 small parsnips
    2 medium carrots
    cheddar cheese

Method

- dry fry the mince in a big pan and then set aside
    - add olive oil to pan and fry onion on a medium heat for 5 mins
    - add garlic and fry for a minute more
    - Add tinned tomatoes and bring up to boil, then reduce back to a simmer and thicken for 5 mins, stirring occassionally
    - Return the beef to the pan, with the Worcestershire sauce and the hot stock
    - Bring back up to the boil, cover and simmer on a low heat for 20 mins
    - Preheat oven to gas mark 6.
    - While that is simmering, peel and chop the leeks, peel and grate the carrot and peel and grate the parsnip.
    - Heat olive oil in a separate pan and fry the leek for 2-3 mins. Add the grated carrot and parsnip and fry on a medium heat for 2-3 mins more.
    - Put the beef mince mix in an oven proof dish. Top with the grated veg mix and then sprinkle grated cheese on top.
    - Oven bake for 30 mins until the top is crispy.

Have not tasted it yet, but will have a spoonfull when it is done in the oven. Will be eating it properly tomorrow night.

Magu is offline Junior Member
    Just had a couple of forkfulls and it was really lovely. Looking forward to eating it tonight. Have put the recipe on my blog too.

stockjohn is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to try this as a way to use some of the chicken livers I can't seem to choke down.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    @Magu: Sounds pretty delicious!

@stockjohn: Send me your livers!!! I love liver of all kinds, but chicken might be at the top of the list. Seared and still pink inside, topped with butter and carmelized onions... It might be time to break my fast, hahaha.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    I've made one using cauliflower instead of potatoes. You can cook the cauliflower and mash it... or if you puree it you'd think it really was very smooth mashed potatoes. My husband said to me "I thought you weren't eating potatoes anymore"... he was fooled! (If you do it this way, I'd recommend using a little less liquid in the meat since the cauliflower tends to release a bit of water while it's baking.)

I did make one recently with leftover jerk pork, topped with mashed carrots and parsnips. I liked the combination of spicy meat and sweet vegetables on top.

Harry Guest
    Cottage/shepherd's pie is pretty sacred to me. I shouldn't knock cauliflower without trying it. But I don't think I will try it.

To me, tomatoes have no place in the dish. Meat, onion, peas, carrots, with potatoes on top. But I'm sure that shepherds and cottagers used whatever veg they had. Since I only have the dish once every few months, I will just go with potatoes.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Sounds good but I'd omit the stock unless you made it yourself.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.