Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much omega 3 page

jedward2 is offline Senior Member

How much omega 3

Shop Now
    fish oil should you consume a day in supplements? My bottle says take 3 a day which is 3000 mg a day.

jedward2 is offline Senior Member
    bump

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Depends on how much O6 you are consuming..
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Mike Alzen is offline Senior Member
    I like this as a good starting point. http://whole9life.com/fish-oil/

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    The all-mighty Robb Wolf fish oil calculator! Praise him!

The answer is going to be "as much as it takes to get the tissue concentration close to 1:1" and then after that it's going to be the equivalent of omega 6 consumed. If you have been consuming more omega 6 over the past few months than omega 3, you're going to want to tip the ratio in favor of omega 3. Cutting down on the omega 6 helps greatly. There are lab tests that can tell you your tissue ratio but I think that going by how you feel and doing some guessing is usually sufficient. A month or two of Robb Wolf's protocol should be good and then you just have to match omega 6 with omega 3. Definitely take the fish oil with a lot of fat like butter, lard or olive oil.

Go by amount of EPA/DHA, not by amount of total fish oil. Some caps have 300mg combined EPA and DHA and some have as much as 700mg, even if it's 1000mg of total fish oil.
    Last edited by Stabby; 06-30-2010 at 01:31 PM.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

dcrevenge is offline Junior Member
    I am 200lbs and it told me 8

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    The all-mighty Robb Wolf fish oil calculator! Praise him!

Then answer is going to be "as much as it takes to get the tissue concentration close to 1:1" and then after that it's going to be the equivalent of omega 6 consumed. If you have been consuming more omega 6 over the past few months than omega 3, you're going to want to tip the ratio in favor of omega 3. Cutting down on the omega 6 health greatly. There are lab tests that can tell you your tissue ratio but I think that going by how you feel and doing some guessing is usually sufficient. A month or two of Robb Wolf's protocol should be good and then you just have to match omega 6 with omega 3. Definitely take the fish oil with a lot of fat like butter, lard or olive oil.

Go by amount of EPA/DHA, not by amount of total fish oil. Some caps have 300mg combined EPA and DHA and some have as much as 700mg, even if it's 1000mg of total fish oil.
    what about "other omega 3 oils"?? That's what it says in my bottle. 800 EPA 500 DHA 300 "other"...

btw, could you take a look at my low-pufa diet plan.. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...e-I-got-it-now...
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Nice! you're a zealot! That's perfect. I forget if it was you that was taking the b-complex that had biotin or not. If so, good, if not consider a b-complex with biotin. If the eggs whites aren't cooked at least

Other omega 3 oils can probably be counted. There are some intermediates between ALA and EPA and EPA and DHA and so I think that's what those might be. We should be able to convert them.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

PoisonApple is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure how much you should take, but I take about 900mg from GNC
    Proud Bangmaid since August 2009

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    One good resource I found, concerning fish oil dosing, has been the book "The Anti-Inflammation Zone" by Dr. Barry Sears, who originated the Zone diet:

http://www.amazon.com/Anti-Inflammat...7328413&sr=1-1

Here, he recommends that healthy adults take 2.5 g of EPA+DHA per day, and that people with health concerns take 5, 7.5 or 10+ g of combined EPA/DHA per day, depending on which conditions/concerns you have. (Sorry, I don't have the book right now, so I can't list the specific doses for each condition.)

fwiw, Dr. Sears shares much clinical and anecdotal evidence that these doses that he recommends are effective at keeping a person healthy, or restoring health to the suboptimal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast