Thread: Carb Range for Ketosis page

reeckstar is offline Junior Member

Carb Range for Ketosis

Shop Now
    Is ketosis like a continuum in that the less carbs the deeper the ketosis, or is it something that you go in and out of like an on/off switch? I've seen different carb ranges. One article I've read says that we are in ketosis between 50-100 grams of carbs. And others I've seen say you want to stay below 30 grams. Any clarity on this would be appreciated

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    why do you want to be in ketosis?

most will lose under 100 carbs.

some menopausal or hormonally challenged women need under 50.

those with neurological disorders like epilepsy should have even fewer carbs to stay in ketosis.

however, if you're young and active there can be a definite point of diminishing returns with not enough carbs.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Todmorden - tha be in t'Yorkshire, aye lad.
    Yes it's a contium, ketones are a by-product of fat metabolism, which the body can then use a fuel as an alternative to glucose for certain organs (the brain is the only one I can remember for certain right now).

The lower the % of carbs in your diet the more fat you will burn for fuel, the more ketones you will produce. As these are burned for fuel normally you won't excrete them so won't be able to pee on a stick and go 'wooop I'm in ketosis'.
    Twerk - where people in Yorkshire go t'earn a crust.

Jenry Hennings is online now Senior Member
    It's recommended to stay at 50g or under, although it's pretty individual as some can even maintain ketosis with carbs up to 100gms a day. When starting, it is advised that you buy some sort of measurement aid to help find the sweet spot of carbs for you. Ketostix are the most popular, but aren't the most reliable. Some sort of blood related measuring BOHB levels would be the more accurate/reliable measurement, but comes, as you may expect, at some price. If you're that serious about it, it may be worth it to you.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Ketosis depends on a number of factors. Most people will tell you you're in ketosis if you are eating less than 50 grams of carbs a day. This is WAY too simplistic as to be almost patently false.

Basically, glucose will kick you out of it, but...

A) Larger individuals with higher metabolisms can take a larger load of glucose before they get kicked out.
    B) More active individuals may be able to maintain ketosis at 75-100 grams of crabs if they are quickly burning through their glucose as it enters the body.
    C) If A & B are true it follows that smaller folks and more sedentary folks may have to restrict carbs a bit more to effectively achieve ketosis.
    D) Excess protein, beyond what is needed to maintain or build muscle mass is converted to glucose via gluconeogenesis. So even too much protein can effectively stop ketosis. Shoot for 0.7 - 1 gram of protein per pound of LEAN body mass (and nobody has 0% body fat! I don't care HOW ripped you are), trying to shoot for the lower end of that scale.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."