Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What to tell the Non-believers? page

Nellie is offline Junior Member

What to tell the Non-believers?

Shop Now
    So i've been primal now for a few months and now that my family can obviously see my weight loss, they want to hop aboard. I took my time tp gather as much info as I could for them...I even made a power point( Im a super geek, I know ) I feel that its much easier to set your mind to do something if you fully understand the process rather then me just telling them dont eat that or dont eat this. However they still challenge me on some things, I was hoping you guys couls help me with some rebuttals

1) They ask why they can't have a piece of bread here or there as long as they stay under whatever number of carbs they decided to limit themselves to.
    I don't have a good answer for this, i don't know if they can or can't...i know it's not primal but a carbs a carb right, in the end they all break down to glucose. So for sake of a diet can they do this? I mean i don't bother with any grains because I don't trust myself to stop at one piece of bread or 2oz of pasta. I mean Tom Naughton lost weight limiting his carbs while eating micky D's for a month. So any ideas on what to tell them aside from eat a piece of bread and you'll explode...because that didn't work.

2) the other big one is and please do imagine it in the whiniest, snottiest voice possible. "but then why does weight watchers work or the people on biggest loser??hmmm?"
    Again I don't know!! I did weight watchers, I lost weight, I was never hungry...I dont know why it works, and I mean all the people that work there have lost weight and kept it off... I like what we are doing here way better and feel better but i just wish there was an easy answer to give to people who frown apon this Vs that. I also think biggest loser is a joke...they stave those people and make then work out to they vomit...sounds fun right. Plus I dont think they are honest about thier time line.

So please my friends what do you say to people who want to know "how did you lose the weight" but then they don't like your answer...PS i do enjoy carrying around a print out of my starting blod results and my recent

Griff is offline Senior Member
    First of all, the grains are like eating poison. There's a blog post Mark did about this at http://www.marksdailyapple.com/definitive-guide-grains/ - go read that.

The reason that WW or "The Biggest Loser" works for a little while is caloric restriction. Caloric restriction always leads to weight loss at first. But when focusing only on weight loss and not health (as many people do), the difference between those and the way we eat is that WW and TBL do not produce sustainable weight loss. Have you felt that ravenous craving OMG-I-gotta-eat-cookies-NOW-or-I-will-DIE hunger on PB since you got over the low-carb flu/carb withdrawal? No? And yet, people on WW and on the Biggest Loser-type shows feel that all the time. Doesn't sound like a bargain to me!

Hand them a copy of the PB, and tell them to come back and talk to you when they've read it.
    Last edited by Griff; 06-23-2010 at 09:16 AM.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

!! I do really enjoy the folks who save thier points for a pile of junk at night lol...um hello??? I agree with the craving totally...one day i was fed up with it all, since my weight had stayed the same for some time. I huffed down that cookie aisle with the worst intentions of finishing an entire box of whatever looked good, but nothing looked good at all! I walked right by and gabbed a grass fed roasted chicken and ate the legs in the car . I couldnt even convince myself to eat an oreo...that was the exact moment I knew this was my new life!

PrincessGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    First of all, the grains are like eating poison. There's a blog post Mark did about this at http://www.marksdailyapple.com/definitive-guide-grains/ - go read that.

The reason that WW or "The Biggest Loser" works for a little while is caloric restriction. Caloric restriction always leads to weight loss at first. But when focusing only on weight loss and not health (as many people do), the difference between those and the way we eat is that WW and PBL do not produce sustainable weight loss. Have you felt that ravenous craving OMG-I-gotta-eat-cookies-NOW-or-I-will-DIE hunger on PB since you got over the low-carb flu/carb withdrawal? No? And yet, people on WW and on the Biggest Loser-type shows feel that all the time. Doesn't sound like a bargain to me!

Hand them a copy of the PB, and tell them to come back and talk to you when they've read it.
    Griff is my Hero. That is All.

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    I tell the non-believers that a vegetarian/whole grain diet is the way to go. I dont need them jacking up meat prices.

oh speaking of grains being poison, my primal 5 year old told my friends son that his Mommy feeds him sandwhichs because she doesn't love him. Not a nice thing for a 5 year old to say but while we were making the switch to primal he would ask why we had to eat this way instead of the old way and I would simply tell him it was because I loved him. Well he took it to mean the opposite was also true. Iafter many apologies to his little now crying friend I had to laugh a little to myself in the car ride home

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    Meat IS love <B<B<B

Nick "the Caveman" M. is offline Senior Member
    Always hard breaking people of their mindset. Occasionally my wife's family will put out these "health" e-mails to see how everyone is doing and what has been working for people etc (a few of them are quite over weight, a few of them are in the slightly overweight, and then you have my wife and me at the last 5-10 lb state). They're always comical because it's insane to hear what comes from them. I try to not preach, but it gets tough....I once even had to debate why bread came to popularity and that doesn't make it good for you vs why bread is referred to as the staff of life.... So it takes time....it just takes time. I had some bias coming into paleo/primal that I couldn't overcome until I was willing to try changing... Most people need results for themselves before they're willing to accept something....it's just getting them over the hump of trying something new.

PrimalPeg is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatMe216 View Post
    I tell the non-believers that a vegetarian/whole grain diet is the way to go. I dont need them jacking up meat prices.
    I love that! Great attitude.

Fatkid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellie View Post
    ...my primal 5 year old told my friends son that his Mommy feeds him sandwhichs because she doesn't love him...
    Now I don't have kids, and can understand why this is a 'bad thing' to happen... but honestly I think this is the funniest/most awesome thing I've heard hahaha

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast