Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What to tell the Non-believers? page 6

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I disagree, to a certain extent, with the saying nothing / forcing religion view. I understand where you're coming from and for the most part I agree that you can't go round evangelizing, but we also need to combat misinformation. it matters. It's science, not religion. When you get national bodies pushing bad science as 'the right thing' and companies pushing the low-fat crap in their advertising and on the shelf - (there were only FIVE containers of plain whole cream on the shelf in the ENTIRE supermarket dairy case of hundreds of products) - when people start LEGISLATING "healthy" diets that make people sick, we're talking disaster of national proportions.

It make me sad to see so many people suffering illness and unhappiness. We have a moral obligation to let people know the truth.

Even from a personal point of view, other people's choices DO affect you and your family. They are already raising the retirement age here due to the aging population - but we'll all be working our fingers to the bone until we drop off the perch, to pay for real financial cost of ill health. And heaven help us if we need medical care, hospitals are already not coping.

Sure we don't want to shove this stuff down people's throats, that's very true. But I think we need to look at ways to get the message out there. Support people like Mark. Share their videos and posts on our Facebook and Twitter, write book reviews on Amazon, blog about it, and when there's health stories in the media, get out there and comment. That's a great way to spread the word without being a PITA.

In addition, we can take the 'be an example' thing seriously - not whining about giving stuff up, not being pathetic and taking the soft option so often that we compromise our own health, so that people really want what we have.

JasonBanz is offline Member
    I have been criticized and am still being criticized for my dieting lifestyle now. People have told me I am making incorrect choices and will see in the future what I did wrong. I have tried to debate/argue and it gets nowhere. I found the best thing for me is to let my results speak for me. People know that I was at 260 in February. They also knew I was at 250 in May. They now know I am below 225. My weight loss/muscle gain is the only talking I do!
    Insert whitty diet remark here!

Bostonbully is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonBanz View Post
    I have been criticized and am still being criticized for my dieting lifestyle now. People have told me I am making incorrect choices and will see in the future what I did wrong. I have tried to debate/argue and it gets nowhere. I found the best thing for me is to let my results speak for me. People know that I was at 260 in February. They also knew I was at 250 in May. They now know I am below 225. My weight loss/muscle gain is the only talking I do!

I feel the same way I was 253 in February and I'm 178 now. I get all kinds of reactions and questions. I just tell people I changed the way I eat. If I get another question I give another answer until they stop. Usually they walk away thinking I'm on Atkins. They only person I try to give real info to is the wife. She lives off of pasta and it kills me.

warren is offline Junior Member

either they want it or they dont

If someone realy wants the info I'll send them here. Otherwise I've been telling people I'm allergic to wheat/gluten or that I'm on Atkins. I've stopped caring that much except for my family but even for them, they have to want it.

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    I like the way you think warren. That pretty much describes how I handle it. To each his own but (IMHO) you're not going to convince the vast majority of people. I find you'll alienate more people then you'll "save."

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456