Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Many Calories per Day for a 420 Ponder? page

Tee
    Tee is offline Senior Member

How Many Calories per Day for a 420 Ponder?

Primal Fuel
    Hey Gang,

I have a buddy who I have convinced to try the Primal life style.
    Now that he's not eating, or drinking, cake, cookies, chips, bread, pop and all the other crap
    he's shouldn't be. He's having a hard time eating a lot of calories per day.

First, how many calories should he be eating per day, and how can he get to that many in?

Thanks for your help.

PS He has a desk job and has been walking for exercise.

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    2000-2500 to start. adjust from there.

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    I agree.

A lot of overweight people are eating 3000-5000 calories from poor nutritional sources per day. Just cutting back to 2000-2500 calories per day is enough caloric restriction to bring them into balance. Particularly if they changed the quality of foods.

Bu you know? If they're at 1700 or so, I wouldn't worry about it. The body will use what it has to fill in any gaps.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    First off, congrats for convincing someone to go Primal! Breaking the wheat and sugar addiction is very difficult (I'm still fighting the sugar.) Give him lots of support. If he wants people to tell him "wow," get him to take pictures and post a journal on this board. The board loves progress!

I would guess that that your friend needs closer to 3000 calories. 2000-2500 is what a guy at half that weight would eat. Your friend may need more just to maintain all the blood flow to all the fat cells. He can cut down when the weight starts coming off. How to get the calories? 80/20 grass-fed ground beef. Dark meat chicken and turkey. All the steak he wants. Avocadoes. While not exactly primal, hummus is great stuff. Instead of pita bread, use thin slices of turnip. Nuts like macadamia and walnuts.* Eggs eggs eggs eggs eggs. Leafy greens cooked in butter. Liverwurst and onions. I personlly love olive tapenade made with oily olives and roasted vegetables.

-------------
    *caveat on nuts: 1. They are notorious for stalling weight loss, but at 420 pounds it may not matter. 2. Nuts, especially macadamias, are known to have a laxative effect if you eat too many, or eat them every day.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

hoofadoo is offline Junior Member
    I started at 525 in January, and I normally eat 2000-2500 cals with 65-70% coming from fat, which should be a good range.

I'm down 50 lbs!

Check out my blog: My Fight For Life

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoofadoo View Post
    I started at 525 in January, and I normally eat 2000-2500 cals with 65-70% coming from fat, which should be a good range.

I'm down 50 lbs!
    go you!!!
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Tee
    Tee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoofadoo View Post

I'm down 50 lbs!
    Nicely done. Would you be so kind as to give me your typical meal plan per day?
    Thank you.

hoofadoo is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tee View Post
    Thank you.
    I'm very simple. Bacon and eggs for breakfast usually, and a meal in the afternoon consisting of meat and veg.

I do bulletproof coffee as well to carry me over during meals with butter and mct oil... This may seem crazy, but once you drop all the crap, your appetite does restrain itself, and intermittent fasts are a breeze once your body is used to using fat for fuel.

Check out my blog: My Fight For Life

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tee View Post
    Thank you.
    Don't worry about exactly what he eats. Just keep calories to a reasonable level. I doubt hoofadoo there had a full meal plan laid out for him and he still made it work.

Eat veggies, eggs, fish, meat, and very small amounts of added fats and oils. Use starchy carbs based on activity level.

Also, if you can handle it, try some form of IFing. You'll probably adapt to it quickly since you have significant amounts of body fat your body will readily use for fule when not burning off calories from your meals.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

TQP
    TQP is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Someone that overweight doesn't need to worry about macros as much. He should be fine be it low carb or high carb or whatever, as long as it's whole foods. It's when you're of a healthier weight range when macros make a big difference.

Eat meat, eggs, fruit, tubers, and seafood. Don't worry about macros...just eat those things and loosely keep track of calories.

So... I agree with the 2500-3500 range. Too few calories will result in your friend BINGING hardcore and finding the diet too restrictive. Eat enough protein so he's not hungry all the time. Practice some volumetric eating (i.e. eating shit that has a lot of volume but not too many calories...) might be helpful since he is probably used to eating a TON of food. Try to get the friend to do some sort of walking and eventually strength training. This will make the "diet" more of a lifestyle and also he won't have a bunch of sag when he gets to a healthy weight.
    New journal AQUI... where we chat, cuss, and post offensive stuff.

Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog. (Latest recipe: Easy Banana Soft Serve)

Professional Style Digital Magazine. Most recent feature: Madlena, Model, Animal Activist, Psychology Student

Elegance is not the prerogative of those who have just escaped from adolescence, but of those who have already taken possession of their future.
    - Coco Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    If were going by butt size I must have an IQ of at least 200

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast