Thread: Nausea anyone? page

supersellen is offline Senior Member

Nausea anyone?

Primal Fuel
    I have been eating primal for just a couple weeks and have experienced nausea often. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I am not coming off of a horrible diet, I was eating virtually no processed foods or sugar. Any recommended remedies?

ETA: I just realized that I started taking prenatal vitamins around the same time, could that be what is causing it? (Not pregnant yet, btw)
    Last edited by supersellen; 06-23-2010 at 07:50 AM.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Vitamins have a long history of causing nausea in some people. It took me months of experimenting with different vitamins until I found one that didn't make me nauseous.

The one I ended up with and still currently take:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ms_ohs_product

(The men's one, not the senior one)

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    I found I was feeling nauseous right before I went into ketosis.. Eating some more fruit and vegies seemed to help.

Are you eating very low carb right now?

Wilchar is offline Junior Member
    Often taking a vitamin on an empty stomach may cause nausea.

I also experienced nausea if I got too close to ketosis.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    I know that iron makes me nauseous... and most prenatals include iron. I can only take time-release iron if I have to.... just a thought...
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    I hadn't thought of the iron...that could be the culprit. I am not super low carb, trying to stay above 80-90g a day since I am not looking to lose weight at all, and I feel craptastic during my workouts if I have less. I heard a suggestion of taking vitamins before bed after dinner so that you essentially sleep through the nausea...anyone try that?

alurien is offline Junior Member
    Yes, that could help. Prenatals are really rough on the stomach- or at least they were on mine. The brand never seemed to matter, nor did the iron content.

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    Yep, try taking them at night before bed. Or with food.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    This is interesting and maybe helpful:
    http://nutrition.crossfiteastdecatur...is-what-is-it/

There are actually symptoms to indicate your body is in ketosis and for most people this seems to occur a few days following a carbohydrate restrictive diet.

Symtoms may include:

Tiredness or fatigue
    Headache
    Feeling thirsty all the time
    Bad breath
    Metallic taste in the mouth
    Weakness
    Dizziness
    Nausea or stomach ache
    Sleep problems

Do any of these sound familiar? The good news is ketosis symptoms usually last a few days up to a week until the body becomes used to burning fat as its primary fuel source instead of glucose.
    I've been feeling nausea lately, I thought related to my fish oil intake (although I think it is still somewhat related), but I've been going a lot lower carb lately (had been sticking to the high end of Mark's maintenance range since I went primal this past fall) so I'm wondering if now I'm just in ketosis. I should get some ketostix to see if that's the case! And if so, I *hope* these symptoms really do go away quickly b/c I hate nausea and don't think I could deal w/ it long term!

Also, my sister had TERRIBLE nausea while taking the Rainbow Light prenatals. She switched to Garden of Life and feels a LOT better. Prenatal vitamins can totally cause nausea!

Good luck figuring it out and feeling better!

paleo_rob is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It took me a while to get used to the high doses of fat in my system. Being a complete sheep who believed the NO FAT dogma religously, and then getting a bulk of my calories from coconut milk etc really made me feel ill for a while. After a couple weeks though, full of energy, and all good.

Hope you get better!