Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much omega 3 fish oil should you have each day? page

jedward2 is offline Senior Member

How much omega 3 fish oil should you have each day?

???

Canarygirl is offline Senior Member
    There is another thread almost exactly like this right now...try searching the forum for it

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    You need as much omega 3 to balance out the omega 6 in you diet. So it's equally important to limit the amount of foods high in omega 6 such as nuts, seeds, poultry, pork and vegetable oils. I try to limit my O6 to 5 grams a day, which only require about 1 T of fish oil to make 1:1 ratio.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    Avoid chicken and pork? Get the heck out of here.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebike View Post
    Avoid chicken and pork? Get the heck out of here.
    Well if you are getting conventional meat, then you shouldn't eat much of the fat from those animals. It's really high in PUFA's and since it's CAFO meat, very high in O6 and virtually no O3. Lean cuts are perfectly fine though.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    You need as much omega 3 to balance out the omega 6 in you diet. So it's equally important to limit the amount of foods high in omega 6 such as nuts, seeds, poultry, pork and vegetable oils. I try to limit my O6 to 5 grams a day, which only require about 1 T of fish oil to make 1:1 ratio.
    Supposedly how it would work if we were born yesterday. For those trying to normalize the ratio within their tissues, they usually have a whole whack of omega 6 and little omega 3 in their tissues if they haven't been taking tons of fish oil or living in a fishing village. Hence the ALMIGHTY ROBB WOLF FISH OIL CALCULATOR. Praise him.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    Supposedly how it would work if we were born yesterday. For those trying to normalize the ratio within their tissues, they usually have a whole whack of omega 6 and little omega 3 in their tissues if they haven't been taking tons of fish oil or living in a fishing village. Hence the ALMIGHTY ROBB WOLF FISH OIL CALCULATOR. Praise him.
    His calculator doesn't take into account the amount of PUFA's already in your diet though. I think that's very important and the whole basis of my new experimental diet (which I have yet to report results). It's pointless if you are eating tons of sardines canned in soybean oil...

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    Ah, you mentioned nothing about conventionally grown pork and chicken in your original post rphlslv.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    True and so a little thought is definitely necessary. He'd be advising his clients to try to keep it relatively low on the omega 6 side anyway so the mega dose of fish oil with like 5g of omega 6 tends to bring the tissue ratio to equilibrium within a month or two and then they can reduce it to a more reasonable amount. Higher degrees of fish oil activity are for athletes who need results fast and for the sick and dying who likewise needs it
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    True and so a little thought is definitely necessary. He'd be advising his clients to try to keep it relatively low on the omega 6 side anyway so the mega dose of fish oil with like 5g of omega 6 tends to bring the tissue ratio to equilibrium within a month or two and then they can reduce it to a more reasonable amount. Higher degrees of fish oil activity are for athletes who need results fast and for the sick and dying who likewise needs it
    What sort of "results" are these athletes after? Stabby you thought me a lot hehe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast