Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much omega 3 fish oil should you have each day? page 2

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    It's like efficient of energy metabolism. Food goes in, leptin goes up but if it can't hit the brain due to inflammation then they're not going to have as much energy available per calorie ingested or brought out from storage than they would have. Same goes for insulin resistance and carbs. So Robb Wolf being a world-class trainer wants to get his athletes as metabolically healthy as possible but he doesn't have months and months to do it, they're working out multiple times a week.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    One thing I learned is that we can think, calculate, research, fret ourselves to death about nutrition. Yeah, I've been there.

Now I just don't sweat the details. i.e., what kind of sardine or salmon is it and golly how much PUFA in that conventional chicken vs. the organic and on it goes. You can't avoid PUFA's. Even beef has some.

Avoid the obvious very bad sources, grain oils. Take 3-4 grams of fish oil a day. Done.

kalewoman is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    Well if you are getting conventional meat, then you shouldn't eat much of the fat from those animals. It's really high in PUFA's and since it's CAFO meat, very high in O6 and virtually no O3. Lean cuts are perfectly fine though.
    I'm sorry, I should probably be able to figure it out, but I can't... What does CAFO stand for? I'm very interested in Omega-6 to -3 ratios right now, as I've had onset of some scary auto-immune symptoms since starting Primal, and I think omega-6s are to blame. Thanks!

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kalewoman View Post
    I'm sorry, I should probably be able to figure it out, but I can't... What does CAFO stand for? I'm very interested in Omega-6 to -3 ratios right now, as I've had onset of some scary auto-immune symptoms since starting Primal, and I think omega-6s are to blame. Thanks!
    CAFO stands for concentrated animal feeding operations, aka grain-fed/factory-farmed.
    In any event, poultry and pork are by nature high in PUFA's and high in O6, so even if you are getting pastured, there's not much of an improvement in that department. I don't mean to say that it's unhealthy, because it obviously isn't, but as someone who is experimenting with omega balances I tend to avoid them these days.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

dacec is offline Senior Member
    A question about the Robb Wolf calculator....if I make the very safe assumption that my O3/6's are out of whack, I would start out with a dose for the 'unhealthy' (even though I haven't eaten grains/ junk etc for several months) and then after a few months cut back to 'healthy' dosing levels?

kalewoman is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    CAFO stands for concentrated animal feeding operations, aka grain-fed/factory-farmed.
    In any event, poultry and pork are by nature high in PUFA's and high in O6, so even if you are getting pastured, there's not much of an improvement in that department. I don't mean to say that it's unhealthy, because it obviously isn't, but as someone who is experimenting with omega balances I tend to avoid them these days.
    Thanks for the clarification/explanation. Could I be rude and ask why you're experimenting with omega balances lately, rphlslv? I've just newly developed what is most likely rheumatoid arthritis, and in my reading I've learned that people have experienced relief from it by increasing their omega-3 intake. That made me look at what I'd eaten since going Primal and it was largely almonds, eggs, and poultry! How is that for a heavy omega-6 load?! So I'm learning all I can about omega ratios. Very interesting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by kalewoman View Post
    Thanks for the clarification/explanation. Could I be rude and ask why you're experimenting with omega balances lately, rphlslv? I've just newly developed what is most likely rheumatoid arthritis, and in my reading I've learned that people have experienced relief from it by increasing their omega-3 intake. That made me look at what I'd eaten since going Primal and it was largely almonds, eggs, and poultry! How is that for a heavy omega-6 load?! So I'm learning all I can about omega ratios. Very interesting stuff.
    I'm trying to get leaner and so far not much has worked. Check out my eating plan here:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...e-I-got-it-now...

The only downside is that the freaking egg whites stick to the pain so easily. But it's working, I'm getting leaner. Can't say whether it's because of the 1:1 omega balance, because I've been tweaking my diet a lot, but I plan on keeping it that way because it evidently is ideal.

jimpag is offline Senior Member
    Any adverse effects of to much fish oil for a longer time?

Quote Originally Posted by jimpag View Post
    Any adverse effects of to much fish oil for a longer time?
    Unless you are taking in 1/4 cup of fish oil a day I don't think it's something to worry about! Just make sure you increase your dosage gradually. The only bad side effect from it (that I know of) is increased bleeding from wounds, so if you already have blood clotting problems then be advised.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    But that's not really an adverse effect. Bleeding is fucking metal. Fish oil is metal. 'nuff said.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast