Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Lifestyle Life Change By Going Primal page

Johnnielow is offline Member

My Lifestyle Life Change By Going Primal

Name is John, 53 turning 54 in July. 5'11", 280 pounds, fat, out of shape, health issues and sick and tired of being sick and tired. Tried every diet and program under the sun. Used Weight Watchers, Body for Life, Atkins, South Beach, you name it and I can tell you about it. Only thing I have never done is follow through and keep the weight off. Dawned on me, I went on hundreds of diets but never changed my lifestyle.

I found the Paleo Diet and that led me to Primal Blueprint and the writings of Mark Sisson and Mark's Daily Apple. Something here clicked, this lifestyle could be the one that saves my life. So, here we go into the world of primal eating.

I will post stats on Sundays and will do my best to keep this updated to hold myself accountable and maybe to help someone else do the same.

kmarie is online now Senior Member
    Welcome John,
    I'm new here too, just a few months.
    Just wanted to say hi
    K

Quote Originally Posted by kmarie View Post
    Welcome John,
    I'm new here too, just a few months.
    Just wanted to say hi
    K
    Thank you kmarie, appreciate the welcome!
    Throwing out Conventional Wisdom!

SW on 3/1/2014 - 280.4
    CW on 3/7/2014 - 268.2
    GW - 230

My journal, stop by and check it out - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread103008.html

My PB book came yesterday, not being an avid reader I thought that I would read a chapter or two and then relax with the family. 6 1/2 hours later I realized that I had read over 2/3 of the book and must say that my eyes were wide open to all the things I have done wrong in the past in my efforts to "diet".

I embark on my journey to a better, fitter more primal me with this thought in mind, "If Grok could do it, so can I".

So, here we go!

SW on 3/1/2014 - 280.4
    CW on 3/7/2014 - 268.2
    GW - 230

My journal, stop by and check it out - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread103008.html

Meals and training,

Trained push exercises for chest, shoulders and triceps not going to heavy and then did 20 minutes on the bike at a nice, steady pace. Felt really great to have fun at the gym as opposed to making it an endeavor that was no fun at all.

Meals..

B- 2 cups of coffee with half and half
    L- 1 scoop of protein powder mixed in water, 1 zucchini and olives with Greek dressing
    D- steak and shrimp with asparagus on the grill (upcoming)

No real hunger today, but I feel great!!

SW on 3/1/2014 - 280.4
    CW on 3/7/2014 - 268.2
    GW - 230

Clarkie is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! Sounds like you are off to a great start.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkie View Post
    Welcome! Sounds like you are off to a great start.
    Thank you so much.

SW on 3/1/2014 - 280.4
    CW on 3/7/2014 - 268.2
    GW - 230

Finished reading PB yesterday, man am I excited to find something that makes complete sense. I can actually eat foods that I like instead of things that make me ill at the thought. I had a great conversation with my wife and she has decided to follow the diet as well, this will be a huge help.

Little backstory, we have only been married 16 months after we met through her niece who worked for me at the time. My wife Elizabeth is from Tijuana, Mexico and has two sons, one almost 18 and the other 14 who are great kids and are such fun to be around. It was thought by my friends that after being single for 5 1/2 years following my divorce that getting married and raising two boys would be the end of me, but it is the best thing that has ever happened in my life.

But the issue is, diet in our house. For those of you unfamiliar with Mexican cuisine, it is heavily carb oriented as well as using beans as a staple in the diet. Tortillas, pan (bread in English) rice, beans, potatoes etc are a staple of many dishes. I told my wife that I needed to eliminate these as Grok did not eat them on a regular basis and she said ok, lets cut them out. One thing that is too our advantage is that many, many items used in our house are fresh made from basic ingredients especially salsa. My wife makes two kinds of salsa that I absolutely love!!! One is blended and the other is freshly chopped, both contain peppers (the hotter the better) and tomato and onions, lemon juice and salt. I told her that we should try not too use too much salt or switch the salt we do use from iodized table salt to sea salt. Last night she made fresh salsa to go with our grilled shrimp, cut the salt to a bare minimum of sea salt and my gosh, it was absolutely delicious.

My journey as well as hers (she would like to lose 15-20 pounds) just got much easier. Fresh foods, like Grok would eat with a bit of salsa, now that is living!!!

SW on 3/1/2014 - 280.4
    CW on 3/7/2014 - 268.2
    GW - 230

My starting stats, not pretty but now it is written down for the world to see, well at least those that look here LOL

Weight- 280.0
    Height- 5'11"
    Chest- 49 inches
    Waist- 47.5 inches
    Quads- 26.5 inches
    Neck- 19 inches
    Biceps- 16 inches
    Calves- 17 inches

Very soft and flabby, but I will be damned if I will stay this way.

SW on 3/1/2014 - 280.4
    CW on 3/7/2014 - 268.2
    GW - 230

PrimalCon New York
    Food and exercise 3/2/14

B- 2 cups of coffee with half and half, 4 eggs scrambled in butter, 6 slices bacon
    L- 8 oz top sirloin steak, 1 small zucchini with green olives and 2 tbsp of Greek dressing
    D- 12 ounces grilled chicken thighs and 12 spears of asparagus with butter
    S- 1 scoop whey protein in water

Went to the gym and rode the bike for 20 minutes followed by 10 minutes on the elliptical due to rainy weather.

That is it for today.

SW on 3/1/2014 - 280.4
    CW on 3/7/2014 - 268.2
    GW - 230

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast