Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tap Water??? page 2

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Never understood the concept of buying bottled tap water. Thats all it really is as Coke has already admitted it years ago with their Dasani brand. Gotta love Marketing. I use a Brita filter and have had no issues. Of course I've drunk extremely disgusting water in Iraq and had plenty of issues b/c of it but even with the extra chemicals in our water supply it isn't too bad. You want bad go to a third world country like Jamaica or Afghanistan where there is no sanitation. Not cool at all. And yes Jamaica is third world. I highly suggest going to Lime Cay if you get a chance. Private beach accessible only by boat near Kingston (just don't stop for th cops).

Is your question about the quality of your water or is it about making yourself feel better by drinking bottled water?
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member
    Old Army trick. Add iodine tablets to your water to cleanse it or even add a little bleach to a large container (I mean pretty large). It'll clear up 99% of whatever is in there. Might not taste the best but its clean.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Gator is offline Senior Member
    Grok: water distillers work for fluoride.

1 July newsletter from Mercola:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...interview.aspx

some highlights:

In the case of water fluoridation, the chemicals used to fluoridate the water that more than 180 million people drink each day are not pharmaceutical grade, but rather hazardous waste products of the phosphate fertilizer industry; it is illegal to dump these into rivers and lakes or release the parent gases into the atmosphere.

In addition, water fluoridation is a prime example of one of the worst medical practices possible—forced medication with no control over the dose or who gets it. Perhaps most shocking of all, it is not subject to any federal regulation.

Most of mainland Europe is not fluoridated, and yet, according to World Health Organization data, their teeth are just as good, if not better than Americans'.

Today, even promoters of fluoridation concede that the major benefits are topical; fluoride works from the outside of the tooth, not from inside of your body, so why swallow it?

There is practically no difference in tooth decay between fluoridated and non-fluoridated countries, and no difference between states that have a high- or low percentage of their water fluoridated.

"We now have 23 studies from four different countries; Mexico, Iran, India and China, which indicate that moderate exposure to fluoride is lowering IQ in children,"

initial symptoms of fluoride poisoning are arthritis-like symptoms such as joint pains.

Tooth decay is caused by acids in your mouth, typically created from sugar being metabolized by bacteria (Streptococcus mutans), and as you may already know, the number one source of calories in the United States is high fructose corn syrup.
    The acid produced then attacks your enamel. Eventually the bacteria can get into the dentine, at which point tooth decay sets in.
    You typically don't find dental caries in more primitive societies that do not consume these vast amounts of sugar.

strom is offline Senior Member
    Don't distillers take a long time to filter and a lot of space up? It would be best to have a installation under the sink, that isn't huge.

periquin is offline Senior Member
    Distillers come in all sizes. Time--what does that matter when you can plan? You can't get a glass of good water immediately from a distiller. Takes time to boil and then condense the water. Once you start up and get your first gallon (or whatever) you can always have good water.

Chlorine in water is pretty universal. I don't drink chlorinated water. Chlorine is in the water because it kills living things. I am a living thing. Distillation removes chlorine but so does filling a jar with water and letting it sit a few hours. The water will be chlorine free. What I don't understand is that many people with house plants and pet fish will allow the chlorine to dissipate before giving it to plants or fish tanks, but they will drink the chlorinated water themselves.

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    I am so lucky to be living in Norway where you can drink water straight from the tap, and in some places even straight out of a creek. The tap water we have where I live is of excellent quality. Doesn't taste anything but fresh water. This have saved my literally thousands of Norwegian kroner. Yay for that!
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

StillWild is offline Member
    I'll never drink tapwater where I live. Whenever I go over to my parents house, their water smells so strongly of chlorine I'd do just as well to stick my nose in a clorox bottle. Years ago, the city was telling certain neighborhoods not to drink the tap water at all so my Aunt would fill up bottles for everyone else.
    Also, I lived in rural VA for a good portion of my life as a child. I saw a dentist once when I was 8 and then I just recently worked up the courage to go last year...It was about a twenty year span give or take (as a kid I was scared...as an adult, I was broke). The hygienist was amazed I only had one tiny cavity and otherwise stellar teeth. The first thing she asked me was if I had fluoridated water growing up. Nope. "Well water," I told her. She shook her head and told me I should have had FAR more problems with my teeth than I did. She refused to believe I didn't have fluoridated water which led me to do a littlle digging of my own. I ran across this page on Barry Grove's site http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/fluorideharm.html. Needless to say, I'll stick to my distilled water. The less garbage in it, the better.

Piscator is offline Senior Member
    "As for your bottled plastic, thank you for contributing to the trash vortex in the Pacific ocean. We salute you. "

Assuming he's just throwing the bottles on the ground or in the water...

I'm lucky enough to live in an area where they neither fluoridate nor chlorinate our water supply. It tastes great right out of the tap and passes very high quality standards. When I travel I buy and use bottled water. Then I throw the bottles in the trash.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12