Thread: Question about Millet & Buckwheat page

imluzhin is offline Junior Member

Question about Millet & Buckwheat

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi:
    I am a relative newbie to primal eating. I was at one time a vegetarian, so I included lots of grains and legumes in my diet. I have since removed all grains and legumes from my diet. Occasionally I still get a desire to return to some of my older eating habits.

Since neither millet nor buckwheat is technically a grain, would either be okay to mix with some greens from time to time? What negative effect would either have,if any, assuming I do not per day consume more carbs that necessary?

Neither is very high in carbs and I especially like the taste of buckwheat.

If this question has been answered already on this forum, please excuse my ignorance, as this is the first time I have visited this site. I expect to come back often.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dear-...-alternatives/

At first glance, buckwheat certainly looks promising. Unlike grains, it’s not a grass, but rather a flowering pseudocereal. The triangular seed from the buckwheat plant, called a groat, is harvested and can be milled into flour or used whole in cereals. Seed? Seeds work, right? Not necessarily. While I love most seeds for their high fat content and protein, they do have to be low in carbs to pass the test. Buckwheat groats are decidedly starchier than, say, flax (another story altogether) or pumpkin seeds, so we must use caution. Buckwheat’s glycemic index is 54, which is still fairly high despite being lower than actual grains.

Historically speaking, buckwheat certainly isn’t paleo. You can put lipstick on a pseudocereal, but it’s still a high-carb, high-glycemic-loading grain wannabe. It also requires significant amounts of processing (grinding, roasting, rinsing, sprouting) to become edible to humans, and the earliest known domesticated cultivation of buckwheat was in Southeast Asia, probably around 6000 BC, well after the advent of agriculture. A wild form obviously existed before, but – as with grains and legumes – not in large enough quantities for it to become a regular food source for early man.

Is there a place for buckwheat in the modern Primal diet?

If you want my strict Primal answer, then, well, no.
    Buckwheat, quinoa and millet, while not technically grains, contain antinutrients and phytates as grains do--which most primals feel makes them as harmful as grains and to be avoided. It's up to you how strict you want to be, and you could keep them in your 20%, but they are NOT primal. HTH!

abdominator is offline Junior Member
    Soak them , Sprout them, Eat them.

enough said

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by abdominator View Post
    Soak them , Sprout them
    I think that IF you're going to eat them, this is the way to prepare them. But they are still NOT primal, even if they've been sprouted, fermented, cooked, etc...There are STILL antinutrients in them and although sprouted or soaked will be better, they are not an optimal food source...