Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drinking water during meals dilute digestive jucies.....True or a Myth? page

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member

Drinking water during meals dilute digestive jucies.....True or a Myth?

Primal Fuel
    So, this is one of the things I been hearing. Is it true? Does drinking water (or any beverage) during or after a meal dilute digestive juices, thus causing the body not to digest the food properly? According to advocates, one should wait 2-4 hours after a meal before consuming liquids (depending on the meal) or one may consume water 20-30mins before a meal.............

True or just a internet myth?

muaythaimike is offline Senior Member
    I don't know tbh but I have heard that drinking with your meal isn't a good idea and I don't do it myself. Then again I have heard drinking a bit is good.

It's not gonna hurt not to have a drink, or only to have a small amount with meals.

I guess going nuts and drinking a litre of water isn't helpful
    "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member
    I've heard that around the board. A Vietnamese friend of mine never used to drink much while eating - I asked why once and she said (which she learned from her parents) that it wasn't good for your digestion.

Ollie is offline Senior Member
    Its a good question i don't know the proper answer to either. Maybe ask this guy here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...hemist./page30

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I've always needed to drink something while I eat. For years, nigh decades, that was massive quantities of milk. These days, however, I just drink water, but I just can't eat without it.

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    I think the drink a glass of water at the start of the meal (as an appetite suppressant) is another CW practice that is misguided. As someone that used to have some digestive problems, which seemed to include low stomach acid, I find that there is a dilutive effect. I tend to stop have a window of half an hour before and after meals of no drinking. Of course you want to stay well hydrated, so at non-meal times you should have sufficient water.

Interestingly, I've met a ton of people who said their grandma or grandpa would practice the no water at meals.

Fatkid is offline Senior Member
    I can see the logic behind not drinking while eating but at the same point then shouldn't we all cut out soups and the like... and what about cucumbers they have a high fluid content...

for me personally I avoid drinking a 'glass' while eating but usually have my water bottle handy in case I feel the need to 'wash something down'...but I usually stick to just a couple of sips during the meal at most.

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I don't know, it might be true, it sorta makes sense, but it's one of those things I don't believe I have ever seen any actual evidence on. Just opinions.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to go with true... which is why i drink wine with my meals

goingprimal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suse View Post
    I'm going to go with true... which is why i drink wine with my meals
    +1 Suse. Me too! I have heard that wine actually aids digestion - although I may have been listening for the parts I wanted to hear, since I tend to enjoy wine with meals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast