Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What happens to weight when we sleep?

What happens to weight when we sleep?

Shop Now
    So I'm assuming I'm not unusual here, and I tend to lose 1 to 1.5 kgs of weight overnight. I weigh myself before bed, and I weigh myself when I wake up, and there is a 1 to 1.5 kg difference. And yes, I'm always lighter in the morning.

So what is lost? I just do not believe that I sweat and exhale 1.5kg of water over the course of 8 or 9 hours, I certainly don't mess my bed (or get up to pee in the middle of the night).

This has been bugging me for a while. Any ideas?

--Me

Your soul leaves.

Sent via lightsaber

It's as you suggested. Mostly water weight, and much of it through respiration.

If you woke up heavier, we'd have a real conundrum. But the slight weight loss is to be expected.
    The Champagne of Beards

Yeah, but 1 to 1.5kg is A LOT of water!

--Me

Quote Originally Posted by adamm View Post

--Me
    Go breathe on a mirror. What happens? What's the moisture content of your expelled breath? Multiply that by 9 hours. It IS a lot of water.
    The Champagne of Beards

--Me
    That's a light day of loss for me. Of course, I usually have to "relieve" myself first thing as well, so there's a bit more there.
    I got 99 problems but a pancake ain't one...

My Journal

Height: 6'3"
    SW (Feb 2012): 278
    SBF: 26% (Scale)
    CW (Sept 2015): 200
    CBF: 17% (Scale)

Respiration, perspiration, shed skin, energy useage. IIRC you respire about a liter of water a day.

At 4C a liter of water weighs around 1KG.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmercer View Post
    Respiration, perspiration, shed skin, energy useage. IIRC you respire about a liter of water a day.

At 4C a liter of water weighs around 1KG.
    Yeah, well. If you respire 1 liter of water (or 1 kg of water) a day, and you sleep for 8 hours, then you are only respiring 1/3 of a litre (or kg). Where is the other 2/3rds + of water?

--Me

Yeah, well. If you respire 1 liter of water (or 1 kg of water) a day, and you sleep for 8 hours, then you are only respiring 1/3 of a litre (or kg). Where is the other 2/3rds + of water?

--Me
    That is going to depend heavily on intake, but you're also making the assumption that the respiration occurs evenly throughout the day. Even without looking into it, I can guess that it is a false assumption.
    I got 99 problems but a pancake ain't one...

My Journal

Height: 6'3"
    SW (Feb 2012): 278
    SBF: 26% (Scale)
    CW (Sept 2015): 200
    CBF: 17% (Scale)

Shop Now

--Me
    Energy expenditure... like I said... REM sleep burns more calories than just laying there watching tv a 150lb person is looking at 90-110 kcals an hour while sleeping depending on if in REM or not, sweat (moisture), sweat (fatty secretion from the apocrine sweat glands in your armpits/genitals/anus), you lose something like 50k skin cells a minute (there is something like a billion tons of dead skin cells in the atmosphere, you know when you see dust in a beam of sunlight through a window? Yeah that dust is 80% dead skin cells on average).
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz