Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This Is Hard... page

Primal1337 is offline Junior Member

This Is Hard...

Primal Fuel
    So I've just recently started eating the Primal way, and even though I am enjoying some of the early benefits, it is extremely hard for me to stay away from bread and other things like that... It seems like every single food has some sort of grain in it (sandwiches, burritos, tacos... everything). Especially the quicker, on-the-go foods like sandwiches all have bread. What do you guys do to avoid cravings for those types of carbohydrates and also what are some suggestions for a quick meal that doesn't require much preparation and cooking? Thanks!

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Bread tastes like cardboard...
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    Bread tastes like cardboard...
    Which is why most folks slather it with BUTTER! I say, dump the bread and eat the butter: a quick snack for sure.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Pinkskyy is offline Junior Member
    Always be prepared!

You have to prepare to have quick fixes on hand--have cooked chicken in the fridge, veggies washed and cut, dips made, etc...If you are short on time, you could always cook meals ahead of time and freeze in single portions and you will have homemade dinner in about 10 minutes.

Dont give up!

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    Not so leet then , huh?

Seriously, it's surprisingly easy when you get in the mindset. You can fry or poach an egg in the same time it takes to butter a sandwich.

Toss some lamb chops, a beef or lamb rack, or half a dozen free range chicken legs in a roasting dish in the oven for however long your respective choice takes to cook. Take them out, eat one, chill the rest. You're set for two days. Easy.

Toss a bunch of greens in saucepan with water, simmer. While it's cooking, pop two eggs and a slice of bacon in a frypan. three minutes later, serve. That's five minutes to cook breakfast and a couple of minutes to wash up. Easy.

Snacks - handful of nuts, bit of nut butter and coconut oil. Full fat yoghurt and a handful of berries.

When making dinner, bake some extra sweet potato if you want a carby snack the next day.

Browse around the website and forum, there are a million meal and snack ideas.

Fast food is hard - I notice when I'm out, that there are almost no options that don't involve wheat. At Macdonalds I get a quarter-pounder and leave the bun. At a food court I have the chinese buffet with lots of meat and veggies. Otherwise a latte and either the nuts I"ve brought with me, or if I really want something, a gluten-free cake or slice, and just go low carb the rest of the day.

Once you're off the carb treadmill, you don't need 'on the go foods so much' - you eat two or three decent meals a day. I often skip breakfast and find that a small handful of macadamias is enough to take the edge off the grumbly stomach, and I don't need to think about food for ages.

cerebelumsdayoff is offline Senior Member
    Nothing worthy in life is easy, especially when this something involves changing an attitude about a significant aspect of life: eating. What you have to do is simply be aware of why the Primal lifestyle absconds grains in the first place: they are literally addicting, but heavily damage your body (sort of like an actual drug).

Helen hit it right on target: although bread is omnipresent in our heavily grained society, with a little bit of thinking it is possible to avoid it. Read all ingredients. Opt out of bread, sugar, and all other grainy and carby 'consumables.' After a little bit into it and you won't even want to think about picking up that piece of bread.
    --
    Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

Suse is offline Senior Member
    I still find it hard not having bread with soup (seeing as it is winter) at lunch but I have taken to just making sure I have a really BIG bowl of soup, whereas before it used to be a much smaller bowl and bread. Funny, in the past i used to be hungry mid afternoon. Now it sustains me until i get home.. Cant help it though, still miss the bread.

chickenbackside is offline Senior Member
    If you think about it, all the grain related stuff is pretty much tasteless without the fat and protein that accompanies it.

Bread without butter.
    Sandwich without the filling
    Burger without the meat patty
    Cereal without milk

So why eat the tasteless parts? Might as well load up on the good tasty stuff.

You will realize that it takes planning, commitment and action to make it feasible. But after a while, it becomes 2nd nature. Just like looking and feeling good become 2nd nature.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    You'll get over it.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

cerebelumsdayoff is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenbackside View Post
    If you think about it, all the grain related stuff is pretty much tasteless without the fat and protein that accompanies it.

Bread without butter.
    Sandwich without the filling
    Burger without the meat patty
    Cereal without milk

So why eat the tasteless parts? Might as well load up on the good tasty stuff.

You will realize that it takes planning, commitment and action to make it feasible. But after a while, it becomes 2nd nature. Just like looking and feeling good become 2nd nature.
    Exactly! Who eats pasta without any sauce or other flavor agents there? Hell, why not just take a spoon and eat that meat sauce.

I once read that back in the days of Medieval Europe. people would only use bread as literal plates, and then feed them to dogs. One thing led to another and people started eating those plates. That's all grains are. They are paper plates that people consume; they taste just like paper plates anyways.

Food detectives was on the cooking channel today, and they were discussing the science behind cooking pasta. They were talking about gluten binding the starches in pasta. Then they also discussed that the same process is how glue is made from flour and water. Glue. No one ever stops to think that eating glue is the same thing as eating pasta and bread. Even better, no one thinks that this glue-like property does not damage them internally.
    --
    Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast