Thread: Heart beat after eating page

Garnet is offline Junior Member

Heart beat after eating

Shop Now
    Just curious if anyone has a hard/fast heart beat after eating and what you've done to resolve it. I also sometimes have it at night when lying down and I find that drinking apple cider vinegar makes it better. This makes me think maybe it has something to do with my digestion. I have to admit I do have a problem with eating too much sugar but I have completely cut it out and am doing the primal blueprint diet but still have this problem sometimes. Is it that my body needs to adjust to digesting more protein? How long does this take if so?

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    What have you been eating? Is this following any kind of fast?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

I don't fast. In the morning I have cottage cheese with honey and sometimes an egg. Then for lunch I had a salad with chicken. I don't think you'd be able to understand unless you've experienced it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Markbt View Post
    What have you been eating? Is this following any kind of fast?

jammies is offline Senior Member
    There is a type of food intolerance testing where you check your pulse a certain number of minutes after eating a food and if your heart rate is increased, it means you have an intolerance. There is a certain logic to it that appeals to me.

I get this all the time if I combine honey with dairy so I know exactly what you are describing. Not sure how I can have an intolerance only to the combo. But who knows. I know i also get it if I eat wheat with sugar. But not sugar on it's own.

I also get it sometime when I am laying down and then go turn over. My dad gets it too.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Thanks. Actually I feel good in the morning after eating the dairy & honey and abstaining from all other sugars. But I don't know why I still got tired later in the day and had the hard heart beat after eating a salad with chicken. But then again I can't say it was organic chicken so who knows what was in it that I could be having a reaction to. They keep modifying so many things and making people allergic to them pretty soon we'll have nothing left to eat!

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    There is a type of food intolerance testing where you check your pulse a certain number of minutes after eating a food and if your heart rate is increased, it means you have an intolerance. There is a certain logic to it that appeals to me.

I get this all the time if I combine honey with dairy so I know exactly what you are describing. Not sure how I can have an intolerance only to the combo. But who knows. I know i also get it if I eat wheat with sugar. But not sugar on it's own.

I also get it sometime when I am laying down and then go turn over. My dad gets it too.

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    Try some safe food, grass fed ribeye and spinach cooked in butter, for example. See if it still happens. Also, the bulletproof executive has an iOS app to test for food sensitivities, but I use android so I haven't tried it.

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    It is actually a very logical reaction from your body. Digesting food is hard work and raised your blood pressure a little (It's safe to say that the more you eat sugar and overeat the higher the bloodpressure will get) (speaking from experience here)
    This is one of the reasons you feel an after-dinner-dip, when you feel tired and lethargic after a big meal. Your body is dealing with the influx of food.

So what you are feeling after eating when you lay down is either your heart beating harder due to the higher blood pressure or your heart beating faster due to the hard work your body is doing.

A few things might help.
    - Drink.... I find eating cold stuff like yoghurt or ice cream after dinner helps as well but a cup of tea or a glass of water does work miracles. Help you bodu digest the dry food stuff by adding fluids and lower your blood pressure.
    - Go for a walk. Don't lay down, it will make your body work harder. just take a short walk for 10 minutes or so after your meal.
    - quite the opposit, here in Holland many people still take a nap after the big meal. You can always let your body do the work and you sleep through it. a 15 minute nap should be enough.
    - Don't get stressed out about it. the more stress it gives you the higher your blood pressure will get the worse you will feel.
    - don't eat such a big meal all in once, eat slowly and take your time to eat. I know PB says 3 or 2 big meals but if you feel bad after it, listen to your body and eat over a longer period of time.

Just try what works for you... listen closely to your body but not everything is something that should send you into a panic.
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Perhaps it has nothing to do with food and you simply have one of those tachycardia things. My boyfriend had AV node rentry tachycardia for decades. There are many kinds of these tachycardias and some are triggered by things like drinking cold water or exercising and some just come and go randomly.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Perhaps it has nothing to do with food and you simply have one of those tachycardia things. My boyfriend had AV node rentry tachycardia for decades. There are many kinds of these tachycardias and some are triggered by things like drinking cold water or exercising and some just come and go randomly.
    Yep, that's possible too. it is also possible that the trigger for it is the swallowing of food.
    I know about a girl who always fainted when eating. it was found out that because the swallowing of food interfered with the AV node it stopped her heart beating every time for just a second or so but sometimes with large bites she would faint.
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarielleGO
    Drink.... a cup of tea or a glass of water does work miracles. Help you bodu digest the dry food stuff by adding fluids and lower your blood pressure.
    This is actually NOT generally the case. Drinking with a meal lowers stomach PH and therefore HCL levels and SLOWS digestion.

Drinking water with meals can impair digestion
    Be Unconventional - Stop Drinking with Your Meals | Food Babe
    Discovery Fit & Health : Sara Novak
    Last edited by Drumroll; 02-26-2014 at 11:55 AM.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."