Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Overfeeding Polyunsaturated vs Saturated Fat page

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member

Overfeeding Polyunsaturated vs Saturated Fat

Shop Now
    Overfeeding Polyunsaturated and Saturated Fat Cause... [Diabetes. 2014] - PubMed - NCBI

New research from Uppsala University shows that saturated fat builds more fat and less muscle than polyunsaturated fat. This is the first study on humans to show that the fat composition of food not only influences cholesterol levels in the blood and the risk of cardiovascular disease but also determines where the fat will be stored in the body. The findings have recently been published in the American journal Diabetes.

The study involved 39 young adult men and women of normal weight, who ate 750 extra calories per day for seven weeks. The goal was for them to gain three per cent of their starting weight. The project received considerable attention when it started in 2011, partly because the extra calories were ingested in the form of muffins with high fat content, baked in the lab by Fredrik Rosqvist, a doctoral candidate and first author of the study.

One half of the subjects were random to eat surplus calories from polyunsaturated fat (sunflower oil), while the other half got their surplus calories from saturated fat (palm oil). Both diets contained the same amount of sugar, carbohydrates, fat, and protein; the only difference between muffins was the type of fat.

The increase in body fat and the distribution of fat in the body was measured using a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI scans) before and after the weight gain, as was the muscle mass in the body. Gene activity was measured in the abdominal visceral fat before and after the weight gain with the help of a gene chip that studies several thousand genes at a time.
    - See more at: Abdominal fat accumulation prevented by unsaturated fat - Uppsala University, Sweden

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Ah, but did they also measure bodily inflammation levels?

If they had, I don't think they'd be so enthusiastic to recommend everyone go out and eat tons of PUFA-laden meals.

Honestly... I think they knew that would be the case and so purposely decided not to measure it under the disguise of "reducing variables." That way, their findings could be reported exactly as CW would want it reported.

And once again, as always, the message of "weight and body fat levels = health," is erroneously espoused. Just pathetic.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

I haven't read the study but the inflammation levels probably would of probably been similar due to SFA and 06 both being inflammatory during overfeeding. I read the response and it doesn't seem to be saying anything to the contrary besides the Sunflower oil group had a more balanced fat ratio due to it's make up. The fact that SFA's are less available to be oxidized through energy suggests they can stay around longer to cause more harm. It appears to me that overeating both fats has it's own downfalls but the PUFA's are probably more preferable. Generally, people are overeating both fats but in this situation sunflower oil looks to be the better option in regards to Visceral fat, along with a high proportion of fat in the liver, which is closely associated with increased risk for developing type-2 diabetes.

Drumroll. It would be disingenuous to suggest that this study suggested that people go out and eat PUFA laden meals. The liver fat accumulated in the palm oil group is problematic and suggests less harmful strategies to manage overeating. Because as much as it sucks, People in the US and AU are going to continue to overeat fatty foods and there's not much we can do about that at the moment.

I'd like to also state that this study doesn't apply to us here eating SFA of PUFA at weight maintenance or weight loss. But for the general public overeating fatty foods in general it could have ramification.
    Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 02-27-2014 at 02:40 AM.

Elliot is online now Senior Member
    Animals that have no omega-6 or omega-3 fatty acids in their body tend to have very high metabolisms and are resistant to diseases like cancer. Feeding them saturated fat does not prevent this. Thus one could make the argument that saturated fat is better than polyunsaturated fat because it does not prevent this beneficial state.

This study compared two groups that ate different amounts of polyunsaturated fat, but both groups had enough polyunsaturated fat in their bodies to be affected by it. Thus I think the study is a bit misleading. Replacing dietary polyunsaturated fat with saturated fat can have powerful effects but you won't see it in a trial of this length and design.

That seems like an interesting animal experiment Elliot, I'm not sure how it would apply to humans because we do have a small necessity for certain fats. do you have the link?

Elliot is online now Senior Member
    Polyunsaturated fats promote cancer:
    Requirement of essential fatty acid for mammary t... [Cancer Res. 1985] - PubMed - NCBI

Rats with minimal polyunsaturated fat have a higher metabolic rate:
    The effect of essential fatty acid deficiency on basa... [J Nutr. 1984] - PubMed - NCBI

I don't believe polyunsaturated fats are essential for humans. The classic symptoms of "essential fatty acid" deficiency (e.g. dry scaly skin) are also the symptoms of deficiencies of nutrients like vitamin B6 and zinc. Most studies that attempt to show that polyunsaturated fats are essential put their subjects on diets that are grossly deficient in vitamin B6 or zinc or some other nutrient that would cause the usual symptoms. Then they feed the subjects polyunsaturated fat and the negative symptoms disappear. This demonstrates that polyunsaturated fats "cure" the disease, but it doesn't prove that they're the only things that can cure the disease.

Since polyunsaturated fats depress the metabolic rate, they decrease the amount of vitamins and minerals one needs. Thus they can seem to "cure" a deficiency by decreasing one's need for vitamins and minerals until it drops below what they're receiving.

In one case, a guy ate a diet nearly devoid of fat for 6 months in an attempt to induce "essential fatty acid" deficiency. He experienced no negative symptoms:
    http://jn.nutrition.org/content/16/6/511.full.pdf

PrimalCon New York
    Rat experiments concluding they cause cancer are not strong enough to conclude it applies to humans. This also includes T Colin campbells research that show cancer progression with a diet high in casein. I see no evidence to support that whole food sources of PUFA's is problematic in humans.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast