Thread: Ideal Intermittent Fasting Schedule page

willowbrien is offline Junior Member

Ideal Intermittent Fasting Schedule

Primal Fuel
    Personally, I am on a 16 hour fast/8 hour feeding cycle due to the fact that I workout at night.

I heard a 18 hour fast/6 hour feeding cycle is ideal though (leangains talks about it a little bit).

1) Does it really matter if you workout while you are feeding verse fasted? Difference in muscle gains?

2) Does anyone go for a full 36-hour fasting period? This seems hard if you are looking to put on muscle due to the fact that it is ideal to consume protein/carbs while on an off-day. If you were to go on a 36-hour fast, would you do this on a rest day or lift day?

PrimalMarduk is offline Senior Member
    I just started fasting within the last month. Currently im doing the 16/8 as well i dont think i could go 36 hours, maybe 24. I havent been able to work out fasted yet bc im too lazy to wake up early enough but from what ive read on other sites ppl seem to like to work out towards the end of the fast. Not sure how this affects performance or muscle gain though

Sensis is offline Junior Member
    I've been using a compressed eating window similar to that described in the podcasts recently. I'm quite surprised (and pleased!) how much my strength has continued to improve employing it whilst also losing weight off my gut quite steadily. Maybe worth a try if you don't fancy jumping into a 36 hour IF quite yet?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

I forgot to add in there that the fasting podcast a few weeks back was really informative in regards to fasted training and the like. Definitely worth a listen if you've got the time in my opinion.

Lettie is offline Member
    When you say fast, you mean a proper fast, not restricted calories?

I'll often have a coffee with a big glug of cream first thing before leaving for work but apart from that, fasted.

Lettie is offline Member
    Wow, proper fasting. Personally I've done the 5:2 style 'fast', which is actually restricted calories - 500 calories a day, two days a week.

The tests they're run so far show reduced IGF-1, comparable with a 4 day proper fast. I'm not sure how I'd cope with a proper fast. (Plus I'm under weight atm so not really a sensible option).

PrimalMarduk is offline Senior Member
    What do u mean by proper fasting? I typically just drink water or coffee ( tried bulletproof coffee a couple times) during my fasts. I try to plan them but If I wake up and wanna eat I just try the next day. I don't restrict calories bc I don't count calories so I'm not sure if I'm running a deficit. On average I probably end up IF about every other day or so. I like the results so far tho. I thinks it helped my appetite overall

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I do a couple of days a week where I get to about 16-20 hours. Fasted workouts aren't a problem anymore but they were tough about 20 months ago when I wasn't used to it. I believe my body has learned to horde glycogen as I always have plenty for lifting. I also only really eat carbs on workout days though I'm not fanatical about it. I try to keep fed for the 20-24 hours after a workout when I believe that the nutrients are most likely to be used anabolically or at least neutrally. It works for me but I am not putting on much whilst hovering around 10% bodyfat. I'm 42 so don't expect to turn into the incredible hulk in a few months.
    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
    www.primaljoy.co.uk