Thread: I need some ideas for quick on the go lunches and snacks page

jewelbug28 is offline Member

I need some ideas for quick on the go lunches and snacks

I have been following the paleo lifestyle for almost two years now. You would think that I would have this down to a science but I am stuck in a rut and finding myself slipping back into old habits!! Help!!

I started a new job as a home health/hospice nurse and most days I am traveling all over the country side to each one of my patients (I have to eat while driving and am rarely in a town big enough for a restaurant) I am finding myself getting bored with the lunches and snacks that I have been taking with me. Also I work very long hours so supper has been a challenge.

Please help me put a new spark in my eating plan to get me back on track!! I am looking for quick easy portable lunches (that don't take a fork so I can keep a hand on the wheel), snacks, and quick and easy dinners!! Thanks in advance!!😊

Jason Paul is offline Senior Member
    I recently had the idea to cook eggs in a muffin pan. Of course, I'm not the first person with that idea, so I went online and there are lots of recipes for frittatas (quiche without crust).

I just smeared butter in a muffin pan, put a little salt & pepper in and then cracked an egg in each one. Then put a little more salt & pepper on top and baked at about 325-350 for around 15 minutes. I've also put a splash of Frank's Red Hot sauce in each one before cooking. They're eggs, but you can hold them in your hand and don't need a fork. They will last a couple of days in the fridge, and I don't bother heating them before eating.

Then I started thinking of what else I could put in them - meat, fish, veggies, cheese, etc. You can find lots of recipes online.

The latest batches I made with canned salmon (14.75 oz size). I was already planning to try it, and saw that almost the same recipe was actually on the can of salmon. I just put the can of salmon and 5 eggs (their recipe was 6 eggs) in a bowl and mix them together with some salt & pepper, dill weed (what I use), and whatever else you want. Don't worry about them looking runny because the eggs will cook and hold everything together. Then, I spoon them into the buttered muffin pan (I get 8) and bake at 325-350 for about 40 minutes.

With 8 of these with salmon and 5 eggs, each is 114 calories, 6 grams of fat, 15 grams of protein, and no carbs.

And again, when they're done, they're as portable as muffins. Just know you're holding egg and salmon in your hand, but it stays together fine.

Also, they're not gourmet meals like this. They're not exactly scrum-diddly-umptious, but they're not bad, and could be improved with better seasoning and/or other ingredients. I've only made them twice, and will try other things.

But I'm really liking this whole idea of baking something with eggs in a muffin pan - for convenience and portability.

Jason
    Last edited by Jason Paul; 02-26-2014 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Added size of salmon can

eats.meats.west is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Park the car and eat, life is too short to screw it up while eating and driving, especially if the person you crash into is me. Once you do that it allows a full range of new foods for you.